Major quake feared in Lampang following minor tremors

webfact

Major quake feared in Lampang following minor tremors

la.jpg

The Earthquake Watch Division of Thailand’s Meteorological Department is closely monitoring a series of tremors in Wang Nua district of the northern province of Lampang fearing a major earthquake may be imminent.

The first tremor, measuring at 2.1 on the Richter scale, was detected at 12.01pm with its epicentre in Wang Nua district of Lampang. There were then 10 aftershocks within the following two hours of 3.3 magnitude at 12.17 pm, 2.4 magnitude at 12.28 pm, 2.1 magnitude at 12.29 pm, 2.6 magnitude at 12.54 pm, 2.0 magnitude at 12.57 pm, 2.3 magnitude at 1.17 pm, 3.0 magnitude at 1.51 pm, 2.4 magnitude at 1.55 pm, 3.1 magnitude at 2 pm and 2.6 magnitude at 2.19 pm.

The Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported that the epicentre of the quake was about eight kilometres underground and the events were not felt by people in the district or elsewhere.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/major-quake-feared-in-lampang-following-minor-tremors/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-02-21

"The Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department reported that the epicentre of the quake was about eight kilometres underground and the events were not felt by people in the district or elsewhere."

Yet my inlaws that live about 15 km away from the epicentre was waken up by it.

I'm from California so I know a little about earthquakes as I lived thru the 1971 and 1993 quakes in LA. Small quakes are usually precursors to a large quake. My advice is, store as much food and drinkable water as you can, put fresh batteries in your flashlights, and prepare to camp outside as you can't live in a partially damaged house safely. Good luck my friends.

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The reporting failed to mention the 4.9 at 4 pm. It made my monitor bobble around for a while, and I was 70km from the center. By Google Earth, it seems the quake was on the same ridge that produced the 6.0 about 5 years ago, which was further north.

Same in North of Chiang Mai

8 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I'm from California so I know a little about earthquakes as I lived thru the 1971 and 1993 quakes in LA. Small quakes are usually precursors to a large quake. My advice is, store as much food and drinkable water as you can, put fresh batteries in your flashlights, and prepare to camp outside as you can't live in a partially damaged house safely. Good luck my friends.

This is thailand food everywhere if not there people will come and sell whaterver is going on 

Archived