What about the Rebel 500?

aremesal

The X is totally different from the R. The R for my size has something like a 13 degree forward lean angle. The X has a completely upright 0 degree. I would assume the same for the Rebel. Give it a try. The CB500X has the advantage of bigger suspension travel and a bit of wind protection. Plus better options to mount luggage and to take a pillion if you want to. I think this website might give you a good idea: http://cycle-ergo.com/
Enter both bikes, your measurements and switch between the two to see the difference. Unfortunately I don't think they have the Rebel.
The Honda CB500-X could also be a good option, ideal for Thai road surfaces, not too powerful for a novice, very reliable engine, super comfortable seat, slipper-clutch, excellent fuel consumption (although you’ll need to use ‘95, it won’t like ‘91), the 2019 model has a 19 inch front wheel to deal with the potholes, LED lights..... this bike is ideal for someone like you (and me)..... 220,000 baht, the finance that Honda offers is only about 20,000 interest over 4 years or something.... easy.
Thank you both. It looks like the CB500X is a winner here :D

Actually I like more the low position and style of the Rebel, but it looks like the CB-X is more versatile, so I have to balance the decision between usefulness and likeness :D definitely I need to test the -X before doing any decision.

As said, I don't go for long trips, only short weekend trips so not needed to load a lot of luggage (I usually use just a tail bag Kriega Us20).

Apart from the Vulcan S and the HD Street, are there any other similar bikes here in Thailand I should look at? I even looked at the new Benelli Leoncino - more CB500X style - but I think I'm done with Chinese built bikes...

If you decide on the X, I would set aside 20,000THB for suspension modifications, steel front brake line and a day or 2 training at a Honda training centre. The rear shock has no real rebound damping and is sprung for a 50kg person. Personally if I didn't have the extra cash for a new bike + suspension, I'd buy a low KM second hand model and then get the suspension done.

In fact, if you are more road based, I'd buy a second hand model anyway. They have  a 17 inch front wheel which will be better for road use. You also get better choice of affordable quality tyres at 17 inch as opposed to 19 inch.

The above suits me. It may not suit you and besides you may still want the Rebel 500. Also, don't worry about the Rebel having less power than the Vulcan. 40 + HP is going to be fine.

All the best with what you decide. Let us know the the outcome.

• Like 1

OP we are dying to know your current bike's name and model, do tell, not just it's 200cc...! ? 

Also I suggest trying Yamaha Xmax 300cc, in traffic you will be laughing at the guys messing around with their gears and clutch, and on the road you will love the comfort....Okay , not the power of 500cc, but would you go faster than 140km/hr on Thai roads....! Acceleration is also good, I have seen the guys go off the light pretty fast...

You never regret an automatic and space to put your helmet and a lot more, and plenty money left for accessories....????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you decide on the X, I would set aside 20,000THB for suspension modifications, steel front brake line and a day or 2 training at a Honda training centre. The rear shock has no real rebound damping and is sprung for a 50kg person. Personally if I didn't have the extra cash for a new bike + suspension, I'd buy a low KM second hand model and then get the suspension done.

In fact, if you are more road based, I'd buy a second hand model anyway. They have  a 17 inch front wheel which will be better for road use. You also get better choice of affordable quality tyres at 17 inch as opposed to 19 inch.

The above suits me. It may not suit you and besides you may still want the Rebel 500. Also, don't worry about the Rebel having less power than the Vulcan. 40 + HP is going to be fine.

All the best with what you decide. Let us know the the outcome.

Good advice, thanks!

Actually I already did two courses at Honda Safety, both Basic Big Bike and Skilled Big Bike ;) but when I buy it maybe I can repeat the Skilled with my own bike just for the practice in a closed environment - at the end, it's a cheap price for a whole day training.

I'm not worried about the power, I think 40+ is more than enough for me and I don't feel my skills are good enough for a 70 or more HP yet.

Just one hour ago saw a Vulcan S next to me in San Kampaeng and I liked it, maybe I should ask if possible to test ride it :D

I'll keep you updated and for sure I'll post about it, you know, the proud of the new owner :D but I plan to buy by the end of the year so plenty of time for thinking and making a decision.

I 'll keep an eye on the second hand market, but with the facilities for a 2-years installments maybe it's worth to buy brand new - in fact I never in my life had a brand new vehicle, 2 or 4 wheels!

OP we are dying to know your current bike's name and model, do tell, not just it's 200cc...! ? 

Also I suggest trying Yamaha Xmax 300cc, in traffic you will be laughing at the guys messing around with their gears and clutch, and on the road you will love the comfort....Okay , not the power of 500cc, but would you go faster than 140km/hr on Thai roads....! Acceleration is also good, I have seen the guys go off the light pretty fast...
You never regret an automatic and space to put your helmet and a lot more, and plenty money left for accessories....[emoji16]
Currently I ride a cheap GPX Gentleman. As said, it's everything but powerful :D

I prefer a clutch-non-scooter one. No problem filtering with my current one in CM, here we have some traffic jams in some specific points but nothing comparable to BKK by example. And for the mountains I prefer to manually gear, I didn't feel good doing the mountains near CM in an Aerox last year.

I'm pretty sure my decision will be between a CB style and a Rebel style, any brand, and preferably under 650cc.
  • Like 1

In CM you have the luxury of being able to rent a wide range of bikes. Take a few out for a day if you can't get a testride for free and see how you like them. Since you have a bit of experience and did the Honda Safety courses (on which bike?), I think you can handle bikes with a lot more power as long as you are capable of restraining yourself and not go full throttle unless you have a wide open empty straight stretch of flat road.

• Like 1

Have a look at the Benelli Leoncino 500. I think it fits your requirements and you might like it. It's easy to ride, enough horsepower and plenty of torque.
I have one and love it.
Yes, the Leoncino is another one of my candidates, I like its style. Not sure about the Chinese origin... back in my country some people tested other Benellis and they were OK, but a one-month test is not enough to know how they're going to get old...

I see a decent aftermarket catalog for the Leoncino, but I think it's not as wide as with a world brand - name it Honda, Kawa, Triumph, whatever. Right now I'm a bit tired of the non-existant or only-chinese-crap aftermarket pieces for my GPX.

Anyway, I should test the position/feeling riding the Benelli before deciding, maybe it delights me, and have some small things interesting like the comprehensive display (including gear indicator, ahem Honda...)

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, jchfriis said:

Have a look at the Benelli Leoncino 500. I think it fits your requirements and you might like it. It's easy to ride, enough horsepower and plenty of torque.

I have one and love it.

I believe the Benelli 500 is a good bike and it gets some good reviews worldwide so there certainly don't seem to be too many quality concerns as of yet

The biggy for the Op though in my opinion would be lack of ABS, realise that's a bit marmite but honestly would anybody choose to use a car without ABS nowadays?

Personally anything that marginally helps when learning or participating in death race Thailand can only be a good thing...

CBX or MT03 would be top of my list as both are comfortable and pretty upright with about the same power i.e plenty for starting out and having a bit of fun...

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

I believe the Benelli 500 is a good bike and it gets some good reviews worldwide so there certainly don't seem to be too many quality concerns as of yet

The biggy for the Op though in my opinion would be lack of ABS, realise that's a bit marmite but honestly would anybody choose to use a car without ABS nowadays?

Personally anything that marginally helps when learning or participating in death race Thailand can only be a good thing...

CBX or MT03 would be top of my list as both are comfortable and pretty upright with about the same power i.e plenty for starting out and having a bit of fun...
As jchfriis said, I thought the Leoncino has ABS - maybe it's just optional.

I agree, my next bike will have ABS for sure. Current one hasn't and I had my front wheel sliding in emergency braking a couple of times - I managed to avoid falling. Sometimes I practice emergency stops to get the touch in the brake, but when the classic Thai driver pulls his pick up just in front of you the panic is powerful [emoji28] so yes, my next one will has ABS.
  • Like 1

The Benelli is interesting and I am sure it got ABS.

In MCN it gets 3 stars but if you check owners reviews in the bottom, there is one complaining about rust and moisture entering the instrument panel but another owner don't seem to have that problem. Quality control is likely lacking which is alarming.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/benelli/leoncino/2018/

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jchfriis said:

It does have ABS. At least mine has.

Good to know and I reckon that would make it a good contender!!

I know the one in the Europe has but when I was looking at the 300 a few years ago ABS was not even an option with Benelli seems they are evolving nicely....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was googling today about Honda rebel 500. I found a web site that says that it costs 220K. Is that right ? I'm interessted in buying one. I actually love Suzuki boulevard c50, but it costs 399K. Hope someone has the right info

7 hours ago, Los Luver said:

I was googling today about Honda rebel 500. I found a web site that says that it costs 220K. Is that right ? I'm interessted in buying one. I actually love Suzuki boulevard c50, but it costs 399K. Hope someone has the right info

AP Honda has prices for all of their big bikes on their page https://www.aphonda.co.th/hondabigbike/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Sounds about right, I was looking at them last week. The 300 is in the 150-160 range, 220'sK is a good ball park figure. if you like retro the RE Interceptor 650 is 213,000bht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sounds about right, I was looking at them last week. The 300 is in the 150-160 range, 220'sK is a good ball park figure. if you like retro the RE Interceptor 650 is 213,000bht.

Thanx. I think I go for the new one. What does a good insurance cost (a year insurance). I have to mention that I'm in LoS on tourist visa only. 

2 hours ago, Los Luver said:

Thanx. I think I go for the new one. What does a good insurance cost (a year insurance). I have to mention that I'm in LoS on tourist visa only. 

I asked for the RE 650 and insurance was either 12 or 14,000bht/yr, I can't remember which.

• Like 1