Father Charged For Beating Son, 14, To Death

bangkokrick

I was watching a Thai soap opera on television last week and in the show there where 2 pairs of Thai girls arguing about something outside of a house. The men inside of the house came out weilding baseball bats, planks of wood and piping and chased 2 of the young girls down the street in an attempt to beat them with their weapons.

Now we see this story, which, I strongly doubt is the first of it's kind this week, but maybe the first to be reported.

I can't comment or make generalisations about the Thais or I'll be banned again, but I'll let you be the judge.

Living and working here in Thailand I see or hear of these types of incidents frequently. I showed my Thai gf this story and she just shrugged it off as a regular occurrence. She nonchalantly replied, "yeah, I saw it on channel 7. He was lazy so his father beat him".

So what your trying to say is that this soap opera made this guy beat his son?

Or that Thai's are the only people in the world who watch voilence?

Yeap well i agree with you that Thaialnd are the only country that shows any violence on TV :o

It's an example of the accepted mentality in Thailand.

I can't recall ever seeing a western movie/TV show where 6 guys are chasing after 2 girls with weapons because they had an argument with their daughters. And these are your average petite Thai girls. Brave race of men, aren't they.

And then this story where a fully grown man has to pick up a length of pipe to beat his 14 year old son.

Comprendas?

Some peoples' mentality really amaze me! Are you for real?

I thought movies were to illustrate things as real as they can? Are you saying that people murder people only after they have watched movies? I thought I saw a movie where a bunch of american soldiers kidnapped a vietnamese girl in a village and used her as a sex slave and had her killed at the end. I guess you would say that is why some american soldier did the same recently in Iraq? You surely must be kidding!

MOVIES ARE MOVIES! AND IF YOU CAN'T DIFFERENCIATE, IT IS YOUR PROBLEM!

And you even went further on to bash the whole race? Because of a piece of soap opera? You are a joke, man!

He did not say that at all. It's as usual the way that you read things. You stated that movies try to portray real life situations, so one could assume that the soap opera depicted a real life situation which is common place in Thailand. The use of weapons is very common here and if you read the news you will see for yourself. None of this detracts from the fact that the father beat his son to death for what appears to bit little or no reason.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question of art imitating reality or vice versa usually arises when discussing violence in society. Should we blame the television, etc?

Dunno, but there is a load of soaps on tv where people do nothing but scream and bitch / fight with each other, in between showing off their status symbol cars; watches; phones; clothes; etc.

_This I gleaned from my recent trip home to the UK. Even bleedin "Coronation St" is just a series of screaming matches these days, seemingly. :o

Thai tv is probably even worse... :D