"Mr Durian" gets more than he bargained for after advertising his daughter for 10 million baht!

webfact

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

10 cars - why would anyone want anywhere near that unless a collector of classics?

Was he joking?

Yeah his FB page shows he was joking from the start. But it’s taking on a life of its own. 

He and and his daughter should take a holiday and be far away from there come April 1! 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Ten cars? I know Thai drivers aren't the best and have many accidents, but who the **** needs 10 cars? 

I have eight - it’s fun deciding each day - the Phantom, vintage Bentley, Porsche, Lamborghini etc. 

Weird how I seem to end up in the CHR .

To be honest I can’t imagine how you could become a fruit billionaire- but if I was seriously wealthy - I would have ten cars. 

Durian in my house is grounds for divorce.

One night she brought some home and left it outside on the A/C........After an hour or so........I said.....O K where’s the Durian?

Its outside on the A/C...........we still laugh about it today.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Problem now is, it is going to be hard for her going forward, is the guy really interested in her ? or what they can get through her. I expect that doubt will be there for a long time. She'll be suspicious of everyone that comes near her. 

April 1st, Fools day.

From the coconut news, i read that potential suitors need to have a 3 month probation by working in his durian plantation to compete to win his daughter's hand. That is a clever way to get free labour.

I try to make certain points on this whole winning the hand of a woman saga by going through a competition. Sounds like some drama or movie publicity stunt.

Do the men realise that they are competing for a woman who will be getting older by the minute? You only have her looks at this moment and 3 years later, she will look older. You are competing for a depreciating attractiveness.

Then here comes the prize of 10 cars and 10 million baht to offset the depreciating attractiveness. Now, as a son in law, who enter a new family..... does he has the freedom to choose the career of his choice or a life contract to run his father in law durian business, even though you don't like it but you love to eat the durian.

Obligation after obligation that comes after the marriage (to a rich family who thinks they are the commander of your life because they 'pay' you for the marriage and a life contract of obligation). How much respect will you get  from your new in-laws. And don't forget your wife has a depreciating attractiveness. This is not a natural courtship, it is an arranged business contract as how it is being set up.

7 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Once they have narrowed the numbers down to a few dozen, maybe she should have try outs as to which suitor is most compatible in bed?

...a swede and a durian aint a good match.

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Maybe it's a PR stunt for his durian business. Now he is known internationally. Nice. 

The winner! And the follow-up stories. This level of promotion is priceless. Very successful durian grower. Anyone who needs one knows where to go now. 

Note how his daughter couldn't care less. She's in on the promo. 

6 hours ago, neeray said:

This is a grossly misleading title. It implies that he is selling his daughter for 10 million. But a reading of the article shows the exact opposite.

Syntactically ambiguous headlines designed to lead the reader into making an assumption more sensational than the actual content is am old headline writing style favored by tabloids, the general rule being that the ambiguity is resolved within the opening line of the lead paragraph.

7 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

The whole article doesn't make sense.  The headline and the opening says he is OFFERING his daughter for 10 million baht.   Then it says "In return he would GIVE the successful MAN 10 million baht, ten cars and a house." "No dowry was necessary at all".

Confused.

And also men are borrowing money.

I'm a backpacker in CM, and I cannot afford Durian.  My budget is 199 baht a day and I enjoy walking, sunsets, beer (if free), free noodle soup, and I have a skateboard.  

If i am really nice and hansum to her, maybe zero baht ok???

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Problem now is, it is going to be hard for her going forward, is the guy really interested in her ? or what they can get through her. I expect that doubt will be there for a long time. She'll be suspicious of everyone that comes near her. 

So a normal woman then?  :cheesy:

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The prospective son-in-law just needed to be able to read and write, be hard working and not lazy, not be wasteful of money - oh, and he had to love durian. 

....and be willing to climb up into tall trees on a daily basis

...and have a proven ability to overcome adversity...

Archived