Thai Marriage

lelapin

I am quite seriously ill and for various reasons I am thinking of marrying my Thai girl friend after 15 years together and want the quickest, most simple, cheap way of doing it.

This is a topic that will obviously bring all the self confessed comedians out of the closet with their supposedly hilarious comments but if I am lucky I may get 1 or 2 useful replies.

There is some paper work to be gotten before you actually register. You need an affirmation of marriage from your embassy along with getting your passport certified. These need to be translated into Thai by a registered translation service. Then you need to get these documents legalized by the Thai Ministry of Foriegn Affairs. 

All can be done easily by yourself, theres all the info you need on Google. Though im sure a good lawyer can sort it for you.

https://marrythailand.com/marriage-registration-thailand.php

Good luck and Congrats. ????

34 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I am quite seriously ill and for various reasons I am thinking of marrying my Thai girl friend after 15 years together and want the quickest, most simple, cheap way of doing it.

As said I went UK embassy Bkk to get an affidavit and then we went to an office in Bkk and we got married there and got an official marriage certificate, we didn't have to go to the local Amphur.

We had already had the Buddha marriage but you don't need to do that.

10 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Not understand. One answer says I need to go to Embassy before local amphur another one says I do not.

I was married in UK long time ago but have divorce papers.

You need your divorce decree nisi paper when you go Embassy to get the affidavit get translations and go to the Thai gov office in Bkk and get married.

15 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Not understand. One answer says I need to go to Embassy before local amphur another one says I do not.

I was married in UK long time ago but have divorce papers.

You can use any Amphur but none will marry you without your affirmation of marriage, which you need to get from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

You need to show them your divorce documents in order to get this.

Then as said before you need to get translated along with your passport and get the translated copies stamped and legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

The easiest way to get this done is take the documents to one of the many translation shops around the Embassy and they will do the translation and also get them legalised and then post them back to you for a reasonable fee. You are then free to visit the amphur and get married.

I hope this helps settle your confusion.

HL 

If you are worried about having your estate given to your girlfriend I doubt you "need" to get married.  Just write up a will or get one done professionally.  If you do it yourself have it signed by two witnesses and make a duplicate copy in Thai, also signed by witnesses.  You don't need a lawyer, just go to the internet and look at what examples you will find.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:
3 hours ago, steve187 said:

forget post number 2, the others are correct

You clearly dont know what your talking about, what i posted is exactly what i have done twice.

While I agree with what Colin has said, Colin's post is #3. Post #2, while correct, has missed out the details about a foreigner needing an affirmation to marry from your embassy - you'll need your divorce certificate and passport at least. (I took my birth certificate with me too, just in case.)

I don't know what nationality you are. I can only quote the British Embassy procedure:

You'll need to make an appointment in advance via the embassy website & need to pay the fee (It was cash on the day of your appointment. I don't know if that has changed.)

IIRC, there's an example affirmation available on the website you can use.

When you have the affirmation from the embassy, it is that which needs translating by the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs). It is the Thai translation which you will need to present at the amphur to prove (as a foreigner) you are free to marry.

Your girlfriend needs proof she is free to marry too. For a Thai that is available at the amphur with a minimum of fuss. Do it a few days in advance, just to make sure there's no unforeseen problem with it.

Then you can both take the documents to the amphur to be married. Again, phone and check if you can make an appointment, so you're not in a long queue if you don't.

There have been reports of some amphurs being awkward about accepting the MFA translation, but it's not common for it to be a problem. Again check in advance about everything to avoid any pitfalls.

Hope this helps.

Archived