Get Paid For Being A Buddhist?

thaimeup

You never what ideas the powers-that-be will come up with next. Make twenty visits and collect 1000 baht!

Children to be paid to enter places of worship

ANJIRA ASSAVANONDA

Primary school students across the country will each receive 1,000 baht in education funding if they join a Ministry of Social Development and Human Security's campaign to get children into temples. The money will be given to children who make 20 visits to temples, churches or mosques selected to take part in the campaign to be launched on Saturday to mark Maka Bucha Day.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Paiboon Watanasiritham said the campaign was aimed at providing moral protection for families by bringing them closer to religious places.

''Bringing your children to temples, churches or mosques is one way to get them close to Dharma and goodness. They will grow up as good adults for our society,'' said Mr Paiboon.

Suwit Kuntaroj, director of the Office of Women's Affairs and Family Development, said 80 religious places will be selected for the project, five for Bangkok and one each in other provinces.

''Most are temples, but there could be churches or mosques. It's up to the provincial authorities to decide,'' said Mr Suwit.

The religious places will be given 4,000 baht a month to cover expenses in arranging activities, buying food and providing learning materials for children.

''I'm not as much worried about Christian or Muslim children as I am about Buddhists,'' Mr Suwit said.

''Most Christians go to church every Sunday, while Muslims are strict about praying every day. But with Buddhists, I wonder how many times in a month we go to temples to make merit or listen to sermons,'' he said.

Children joining the campaign will receive a report book which they will bring every time they go to temples. They will write down the date and activities at the temple. Every record must be certified by the abbots or heads of the religious places.

''The recorded activities could be of various kinds. We're not forcing children to listen to Dharma teaching every time they go to temples,'' said Mr Suwit. ''There will be other things to do, such as cleaning the temples or talking to the elderly to learn from their experiences.''

When the children record 20 temple visits, the temples will report their names to the provincial offices of social development and welfare which will grant them 1,000 baht in education funds.

The official launch of the campaign will be held at Wat Udomthamposa Krisana Wararam in Thawi-Watthana district.

Mr Suwit said the campaign will bring together the three major social institutions _ families, religious places and schools _ for everyone's common good.

It should be noted that these payments are being made to all the leading religions in Thailand.

As for

Mr Suwit said the campaign will bring together the three major social institutions _ families, religious places and schools _ for everyone's common good.

You know when I look at it, look at Thailand and look at the west where the constant barrage of liberal skepticism has undermined the institutions that have defined western culture I can't say its necessarily a bad thing for Thailand to try this out.

I mean we'll no doubt get the anti religion crowd attacking the suggestion that religion can play a constructive and useful roll in society. And they'll usually pull out the old 'Religion and All Wars' accusation, but then look at the evidence of their religion free societies.

We've had two or three generations of social liberalism running the roost..... Let's see if the Thais can improve on our example by following their own way.

Allowing them to try would be pretty liberal ...

It should be noted that these payments are being made to all the leading religions in Thailand.

As for

You know when I look at it, look at Thailand and look at the west where the constant barrage of liberal skepticism has undermined the institutions that have defined western culture I can't say its necessarily a bad thing for Thailand to try this out.

I mean we'll no doubt get the anti religion crowd attacking the suggestion that religion can play a constructive and useful roll in society. And they'll usually pull out the old 'Religion and All Wars' accusation, but then look at the evidence of their religion free societies.

We've had two or three generations of social liberalism running the roost..... Let's see if the Thais can improve on our example by following their own way.

Allowing them to try would be pretty liberal ...

Sorry Guesthouse, I'm with Sam Harris on this. His book, "The End of Faith" makes more sense to me than any religious system ever did.

But once again, you are missing the point.

Sam Harris can write a book about the benefits of getting rid of Religion and you might agree with that because you have been brought up in the same society as Mr Harris (or something not disimilar).

Meanwhile, if the Thais want to take a different aproach, let them.

Afterall, let us remember there have been a lot of right minding books written by right minded people on the benefits of changing western society to the way they like it.

I think it would be liberal to let the Thais find their own way.

If Sam Harris is right, the west will remain a better place because of getting rid of religion... and Thailand will have gone its own way, which it is entitled to do so.

Sam Harris, is either right, or wrong. And we can't prove that without demonstrating both secular and religous society.

Again, the point here is that the Thais are proposing the equal encouragement to follow all Thailland's main religions.

There stated aim is

bring together the three major social institutions _ families, religious places and schools _ for everyone's common good.

That in itself is in direct conflict with the assumptions of much of western culture... from where Sam Harris gets his ideas.

Two old Farangs are strolling down the soi one day when they happen to walk by a Wat. They see a big sign posted that says, “Covert to Buddhism and get 1000 baht.”

Knut stops and says, "Niels, I’m going to do it" and goes into the Wat. He comes out twenty minutes later with his head bowed.

“So,” asks Niels, “did you get your money?”

Knut looks up at him and says, “Is that all you people think about?”

Humans have a very strong instinct to eat food, drink water, have sex and pursue spiritual/religious paths amongst other things. The notion that humans will be dropping any of these instincts soon is absurd. The social Calvanists like Sam Harris that go around saying sex is bad, religion is bad, etc. are interesting at best but sort of miss the point of what it is to be human.

To call pursuing religion an instinct is a little way out there innit? Equate it with basic instincts 555

Religion is a response to fear. And not an instinctive response. We dream up imaginary friends coz we lonely, scared, whatever.

Humans have a very strong instinct to eat food, drink water, have sex and pursue spiritual/religious paths amongst other things. The notion that humans will be dropping any of these instincts soon is absurd. The social Calvanists like Sam Harris that go around saying sex is bad, religion is bad, etc. are interesting at best but sort of miss the point of what it is to be human.

Mdeland, could you please clarify for me where Sam Harris said that - sex is bad. I don't recall any section of his book or his articles mentioning such a thing. As to GuestHouse's live and let live attitude, yes, but the late Buddhadasa Bikku would have mourned what passes for Buddhism in Thailand. I'm with OlRedEyes, we shouldn't need the Heavenly carrots or hel_l's big stick to be good to each other. Organized religion is all about control.

I used to get paid to go to a christian church when i was young (about 8).

I found it sooo farking boring that i have never been to a church in about 15 years.

Religion is BS to me, but buddism is more of a way to live philosphy (spelling) then a religion IMO

I think it is a good idea. Even if the kids later reject the religion, atleast they will have gained more knowledge and experience.

I dont consider myself a religious person, but i think it is important that you be exposed to it. And can make informed decisions.

From a pragmatic point of view how are you supposed to successfully interact with other people, most of whom have some kind of religious ideas if you are totally ignorant about religion?

Thai Buddhism seems to be passed down through the family rather than the temple. Christianity stresses that churches and ministers are essential to their religion.

It's easy to interact with people of all faiths and beliefs as long as you communicate on a level of mutual respect.

If you suspect their beliefs are something you can't respect you move on.

Or flame then as politely as possible when the moderators aren't looking.

I think it is a good idea. Even if the kids later reject the religion, atleast they will have gained more knowledge and experience.

I dont consider myself a religious person, but i think it is important that you be exposed to it. And can make informed decisions.

From a pragmatic point of view how are you supposed to successfully interact with other people, most of whom have some kind of religious ideas if you are totally ignorant about religion?

Dave, I can accept the teaching of religion to children, but it should be a broad based study for them rather than one single religion forced down their throats. I went to a Catholic school, and boy...I wouldn't wish that on any anybody.

....children who make 20 visits to temples, churches or mosques selected to take part in the campaign....

ha!

hahahahahahahahaha!

like they're going to sponsor one of every type of religion here. no, they'll pick one small church, one mosque, and every buddhist temple, shrine, and spirit house in thailand- and if anybody complains? well, the offer is only for THAIS, so any foreign religion should be excluded... right?

pff.