Abdominal CT scan price

Hellfire

I recently visited Memorial hospital in Pattaya and was quoted 14000 thb for the abdominal CT scan. For

comparison, the prices for the same kind of procedure in Russia and Ukraine are 3500 and 2000 thb respectively. Are there any chances to find the cheaper options in Thailand? I feel uncomfortable to pay 500 usd for the photo of my tummy.

Did you ask if they do it there or do you get send to Bangkok Hospital?

Reason why I ask, Memorial last time was there only had "basic" facilities and for more serious you got referred to Bangkok Hospital or the Hospital at Soi 4

Ps: CT Scan is a bit more then a Picture of your tummy

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/ct-vs-mri-vs-xray

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I think a comparison between Private and Government hospitals here would not show such a vast difference in price.

Lower abdomen Ultra-Sound = Bht 750 at Govt place. PSA test = Bht 300'      Private???????

One week ago I have visited Banglamung hospital. It is more like an African hospital where the visitors are not supposed to pay more than 100-200 thb for a visit. You can imagine what kind of the sophisticated medical services they are able to receive for this money. I was suggested an X-ray as the only option, the offer I politely declined.

P.S. Anyway, I will pay 14000 if I don’t find a cheaper option. Not the best time to visit Kiev for the diagnostics purposes. 

Mad Vlad is never asleep.

Edited by Hellfire

Is this upper and lower?  Is this contrast (cancer check)?  Have not had recent CT but for MRI I paid about 50k several months ago for what I listed when all included.  Current model CT/MRI equipment is hugely expensive and life is short so if of current model from a facility not operating 24 hours a day the price is often quite high.  

28 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Is this upper and lower?  Is this contrast (cancer check)?  Have not had recent CT but for MRI I paid about 50k several months ago for what I listed when all included.  Current model CT/MRI equipment is hugely expensive and life is short so if of current model from a facility not operating 24 hours a day the price is often quite high.  

5 years ago I had MRI at Raksakol for 2500 Baht. No insurance or anything, just walked in there, doctor ordered it, had it on same day. Paid 2500 Baht.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

5 years ago I had MRI at Raksakol for 2500 Baht. No insurance or anything, just walked in there, doctor ordered it, had it on same day. Paid 2500 Baht.

An MRI for what?  That makes a huge difference in price.  For my procedure it is about 3 hours in machine.  And I have had two family members nearly lose their lives getting tests from much larger medical facilities due to inattention by staff when providing contrast material.  For one it was a passing by nurse that saved his life as imaging people were not paying any attention.  If contrast is to be used be very selective.

• Like 1

Why compare prices to a war zone. Why call a computerized tomography image of your abdomen a 'photo of my tummy'?

Compare the Thai prices to Britain or America to get a sense of perspective.  As for a four tier pricing system- that's simply not true. I suggest you go to Ukraine  or Russia or Africa- probably  cheap there too!

• Like 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Contact some of the private ct scan companies, they will give you prices and you can compare and decide.

As said - avoid any such facility not in hospital if use of contrast material as there is risk involved if have reaction.

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Contact some of the private ct scan companies, they will give you prices and you can compare and decide.

But no medical  care or support especially in case of an emergency.  CT scans involve enemas, dye/ contrast injection, observation,  procedure and analysis of results.

3 hours ago, Cardano said:

My CT scan for abdomen and chest at Simitivej hospital in Bangkok 25K THB. so 14K seems pretty reasonable to me, providing they are using up to date machine and technology.

Your logic is kinda strange. They robbed you for 25 k and since then it has became your fair price measure.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Why compare prices to a war zone. Why call a computerized tomography image of your abdomen a 'photo of my tummy'?

Compare the Thai prices to Britain or America to get a sense of perspective.  As for a four tier pricing system- that's simply not true. I suggest you go to Ukraine  or Russia or Africa- probably  cheap there too!

I compare the prices to what tier 1 people pay in Thailand. Why should I compare them to what people pay in the countries 20.000 km away? To fool myself? 
P.S. Those Ukrainian prices were quoted for the better understanding of the profit margins of these money-making enterprises called hospitals. Same machines, same skill doctors, exremely different prices.

Edited by Hellfire

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Ps: CT Scan is a bit more then a Picture of your tummy

I agree with that “a bit more” part. And it should cost a bit more, not 10000x more. Enough with the medical “magic” hype.

Edited by Hellfire

17 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

I compare the prices to what tier 1 people pay in Thailand. Why should I compare them to what people pay in the countries 20.000 km away? To fool myself? 

You will have to ask the OP. He is comparing Thai prices to Ukraine and Russia. I have no idea why or if he really understands what a CT scans really is. He might be trolling. Dunno what tier means perhaps  the OP knows but insurance  companies examine hospital billing procedures but I don't think  the OP has medical insurance. I had CT scans in Saudi and Thailand- saved my life once. Anyway  I doubt the OP can get a CT scan currently in Ukraine- there is a war on. India is very good for medical  tourism but I don't know what insurance/ tier system they operate.

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You will have to ask the OP. He is comparing Thai prices to Ukraine and Russia. I have no idea why or if he really understands what a CT scans really is. He might be trolling. Dunno what tier means perhaps  the OP knows but insurance  companies examine hospital billing procedures but I don't think  the OP has medical insurance. I had CT scans in Saudi and Thailand- saved my life once. Anyway  I doubt the OP can get a CT scan currently in Ukraine- there is a war on. India is very good for medical  tourism but I don't know what insurance/ tier system they operate.

I suppose you are new to Thailand. Let me educate you a bit.

3 tier-based approach to medical charges in Thai public health facilities

The new dispensation will allow Thai hospitals under the Ministry of Public Health to charge a prescribed limit for medical services based on a 3 tiered system approach. Operators and Thai hospitals will have to set the 3 tiers themselves and then submit to the Ministry of Public Health to finalize. These 3 tiers are explained below:

Tier 1

Under the new regulations, the first tier price structure is specific for Thai citizens and those from neighboring countries, such as Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Myanmar, will pay relatively the same for medical procedures.

Tier 2

The second tier price structure will be applied to expatriates, namely foreigners in Thailand, who are working and paying taxes with the appropriate visas.

Tier 3

The third tier of charges and the highest in terms fees will apply to retirees and tourists.

——

Yes, the OP has no any medical insurance. Which does not mean it is ok to treat him like a piece of sh*t. Or you have a different opinion?

Edited by Hellfire