She's alive! Krabi woman who faked death to avoid "loan sharks" is found

webfact

She's alive! Krabi woman who faked death to avoid "loan sharks" is found

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A woman called Sudawan, aged 30, who went online to post pictures of herself apparently dead with cotton wool stuffed up her nose has been found. 

Relatives had gone to the police as they did not believe she was dead. They thought she had gone into hiding after having to find 1,800 baht interest a day to pay loan sharks. 

Pol Col Phitsanu Phuangphrom of the Krabi provincial police said they took on the case after it created a lot of public interest. 

He reported that Sudawan from Ao Nang had been found at a close friend's house in Phichit in Thailand's north central area.

Relatives confirmed to Sanook that she was very much alive. 

Now the police are set to help to broker an agreement with her and the people who loaned her the money. 

An arrest will be made if those people broke laws related to loan sharking by demanding too high interest rates.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-08

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Now the police are set to help to broker an agreement with her and the people who loaned her the money. 

An arrest will be made if those people broke laws related to loan sharking by demanding too high interest rates.

Interesting word for someone who has no money.

btw, does anyone know what the maximum interest rate is, if the police are talking arrest?

Or should I be cynical and expect it to mean an arrest will be made if the police don't receive satisfactory brown envelope?

Quite simple for the shylocks to have the person borrowing money to sign for a higher figure than they actually get so interest payments are in line with what is legal. That said I have no sympathy for the girl. She knew the cost of borrowing and who she was borrowing from. 

7 hours ago, mercman24 said:

1800 A DAY surely a typo error, or another one who thinks money grows on trees. you borrow money, you pay it back, simple, money lenders are not nice people, as many have found out.

Could be true, if a daily payment + the usual loan shark 20% is missed it's added back on, so then it multiplies & becomes compound interest.. keep repeating and it can soon escalate to ridiculous sums !

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

btw, does anyone know what the maximum interest rate is,

I don't know. But I do know the loan sharks far exceed it.

This is done by lending the victim a sum, say 100,000 Baht. The debtor then has to pay a daily or weekly "fee" of say 2000 Baht / week. The loan shark doesn't want the debtor to repay the capital and may refuse to accept it. They just want the debtor to keep paying the 2000 Baht weekly fee for ever. If the loan shark is accused of charging exorbitant interest, they will claim that only 100 Baht is interest, the other 1900 Baht is a fee. They are all in with the local police and effectively untouchable any way.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
On 3/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, bluesofa said:

Interesting word for someone who has no money.

"To broker" wasn't a word to describe her, it was a verb to describe the police helping to negotiate with the lender on her behalf 

That was my humour - a play on words. I see it wasn't universally appreciated. Never mind.

Archived