Wall Street critic Warren vows to break up Amazon, Facebook, Google

rooster59

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

For many it is the only option as a lot of software only only works on a windows platform, Yes, there is Linux and Android but one needs a lot of computer knowledge to run them on a PC or Laptop, 

I have Ubuntu on a desktop and Linux Mint on a laptop. All I know about them as operating systems could be written on the head of a pin. Haven't used a Windows or Mac system for about 8 years now. I do know I don't get bugs or viruses. I can use the Libre suite of free software for documents, spreadsheets etc. Indistinguishable from the commercial products.

I don't do Facebook, a haven for narcissists. I only buy books on Amazon. I use Google. AFAIK I don't pay anything for that.

IMHO these behemoths carry the seeds of their own destruction. They get arrogant, and smaller, more agile competitors demolish them. Where are IBM, Kodak, GM and US Steel now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Lots of room to go after other monopolists and market distorters as well. Should put Walmart, Boeing, Cisco, and Disney in the crosshairs too.

Jing lah.... Government knows best ideals.These companies (Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the country) are not monopolies.As for market distorters .... can you use the word in a sentence?

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have Ubuntu on a desktop and Linux Mint on a laptop. All I know about them as operating systems could be written on the head of a pin. Haven't used a Windows or Mac system for about 8 years now. I do know I don't get bugs or viruses. I can use the Libre suite of free software for documents, spreadsheets etc. Indistinguishable from the commercial products.

I don't do Facebook, a haven for narcissists. I only buy books on Amazon. I use Google. AFAIK I don't pay anything for that.

IMHO these behemoths carry the seeds of their own destruction. They get arrogant, and smaller, more agile competitors demolish them. Where are IBM, Kodak, GM and US Steel now?

I agree your argument re using Linux as also the point re large companies being overtaken by smaller competitors. So where does that leave Warren's proposals other than making it a crime for a company to be large and misleading re the meaning of 'monopoly'?

Edited by SheungWan

17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I agree your argument re using Linux as also the point re large companies being overtaken by smaller competitors. So where does that leave Warren's proposals other than making it a crime for a company to be large and misleading re the meaning of 'monopoly'?

There's a lot more to it than just "monopoly" considerations.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a15895746/bust-big-tech-silicon-valley/?src=nl&mag=esq&list=nl_enl_news&date=020818

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Reminds me of those long endless articles in Rolling Stone years ago which never went further than being filed on the rest of the magazine pile. If the Democratic Party wants to hitch its wagon to the likes of Elizabeth Warren, hey the Russian oligarchy won't need to make any effort next time round.