Where has all the Singha Light beer gone?

grs90

A few months ago, concerned due to an ever expanding waistline, I found out that my favourite Leo Beer seemed to top the calorie charts amongst the beers readily available here.  So I switched to Singha Light and shaved a good few hundred calories off my daily intake.  I didn't particularly like the taste of the Singha Light at first but I stuck with it and have got used to it now and find it quite pleasant.  Certainly much more pleasant than the alternative of drinking less beer on a daily basis.

In the past couple of weeks though the Singha Light seems to have disappeared from the shelves at my local Makro/Big C/Lotus stores.  It has mostly been replaced by something called Singha My Beer.  This usurper has a similar colour bottle and an identical price and alcohol content to the Singha Light.  

Have trawled the internet to try and find out if the My Beer is just a rebrand of the Light.  In particular I have tried to find out how many calories are in the My Beer as this doesn't seem to be listed on the bottles.  So far I haven't been able to find out anything.  I've emailed the brewery (boonrawd) contact email I found but have had no reply to that as yet.

Does anyone know what the My Beer is?  Is it a lower calorie option?  

A big attraction for me of the Singha Light & My Beer is the price, 550 baht for 12*640ml bottles versus the 820 baht I've just paid for the equivalent box of San Miguel Light.

Any info on the My Beer, or pointers as to where to find out more about it, would be appreciated.

Cheers    

I dont recall the exact figure but after much research I did find the carb content of Singha Light. It was bewilderingly high, up with non-light beers.

Yes, you might pay a bit more for San Mig light, but the lowest carb beer available here is Tiger Light. Just 3 grams per bottle.

I hope they'll replace or discontinue that awful U Beer with the new My Beer.

And hopefully bring back a real light beer with 2.5% as the old Singha light used to be.

Until now mixing beer with soda is a good alternative to enjoy beer on a long day.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

And hopefully bring back a real light beer with 2.5% as the old Singha light used to be.

Until now mixing beer with soda is a good alternative to enjoy beer on a long day.

Me too, but the original Singha Light was 3.6or8 not 2.5%.

2 hours ago, oznomad said:

I dont recall the exact figure but after much research I did find the carb content of Singha Light. It was bewilderingly high, up with non-light beers.

Yes, you might pay a bit more for San Mig light, but the lowest carb beer available here is Tiger Light. Just 3 grams per bottle.

research again........................ the 330ml bottles are 106 calories.......................LEO  165

I dont think most beer drinking Thais get the concept of drinking lower alcohol beer as they want to get drunk, and as beer advertising is banned the companies cannot promote it. Also most bars and restaurants are loath to change and so dont stock it. But they are missing a trick because I think most would be willing to pay the same as Leo which is more expensive wholesale so they could make more profit. I do know one Thai outlet that sells it at the same price as Singha which I think is greedy.

As an aside, I dont like the greedy trend of bars/restaurants charging the same price for Chang, Leo, and Singha. This is not much better than an outright scam. If I must buy from such, I always order Singha on principle even though I pprefer Leo. Even worse is such a Thai/Farang owned bar in my town which, when I ordered a Singha, can you believe tried to palm me off with the cheap and nasty U beer also made by Singha!

I wouldn't bother with my Beer. Give it a few months and it will disappear off the shelves also.

Stick with san mig light, Just 6 carbs a tall bottle and goes down easy in a hot climate unlike the others which are thick and fizzy

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

I wouldn't bother with my Beer. Give it a few months and it will disappear off the shelves also.

Stick with san mig light, Just 6 carbs a tall bottle and goes down easy in a hot climate unlike the others which are thick and fizzy

Sound dietary advice  -  but I find the taste of Singha Light to be far superior to San Mig Light............................ and the bar girls don't usually try and poke a lime down the neck..

11 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

Sound dietary advice  -  but I find the taste of Singha Light to be far superior to San Mig Light............................ and the bar girls don't usually try and poke a lime down the neck..

This is true and you never know where that finger was an hour ago

San Miguel Iight is a good light beer.

Small anecdote from holiday in Venezuela few moons ago, they had a superior Polar and Polar Ice beer. They stored it in freezers and it was perfect for the hot temperatures. SML comes close to this taste.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, CLW said:

Wasn't it 3.5%? 2.5% is too low in my opinion. I agree the taste of Singha Light 3.5% and Singha Light that came later with 4.5% is very different.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, Caine said:

Being relabelled as MY beer, so will take a little time to filter through into shops and bars.

Available now every where ,  not same same Singh lite , before...

Now i drink Archa , loaded with ice, makes sense , you know..

Archived