Big trouble at sadao border

Going in and out as you please, those days are over.

However since you are only in Thailand for less than 16 weeks per year, a little planning of tourist visas and re-entry permits and dates of travel and you can still achieve this.

I'm perfectly aware of the situation getting worse and worse up to pushing people out of the country long time residents included,let alone people like me they don't give a damn I spend money in thailand or not,But it won't prevent me from thinking they're nothing but brainless..

I'm not sure I can get multiple non immigrant O in paris,and report ing to police Thanks but french police is already enough for me

As to the reference to embassy to suggest the required return ticket within 30days it's improper as embases have no say in fixing regulations allowing entrance in the country,they just take care of visa delivery,and  i've never been asked at immigration to show this ticket,the only proper ground for rejection being,as far as I know,the money concernant ten ortwenty thousand bahts,that's why I was ask ing a statement from the immigration  making this requirements clearly set

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Get a multiple entry non-o, then you can enter unlimited times during a year, each time receiving 90 days. 

I have a feeling that before long they will be scrutinizing people with non o's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dnrot said:

And this time at Sadao the trouble begins. 

It goes without saying my passeport is filled with stamps,visas from thailand and neighbouring countries,and i'm aware of the tightening context which prevails in thailand with foreigners of all kind (except chinese of course),as the thaivisa forum suggest,and my post here should be another mark of this turn,and is meant to provide information for people crossing there and not being caught unawares. 

It happened on march 9th, and after looking thoroughly,but no questionning, the officer sent me to supervisors,two women the younger one overly disgrâce full, not really talkative,the elder one,probably the superior, asked money ,return ticket,and booking

The "Money" is 10K Baht (for visa-exempt - 20K Baht with a Visa), the "Ticket" needs to be out within 30-days, the "Booking" can be a simple as a refundable/free hotel booking made online.

Those are standard, published rules for visa-exempt entry (land or air), though not enforced all the time.  Those with more history get more scrutiny (per my post, above). 

Also note that Sadao is not a particularly friendly place, since their "put money in your passport to enter" scam was shut down.  That system avoided providing those requirements.  Still, it is much better than the truly bad entry points, where one can be denied even if having everything required, and even a valid Visa for entry.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

From sadao 20 years ago.

Yes, but during the period where you could put 100/200 Baht in your passport, it was a breeze.  The system is similar to entering many Latin American countries by land-border - they just ask for $1 or something, and no problems.

Contrast to Aranya/Poipet now, where their "fixers" ask 20K Baht for hassle-free entry.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They already are, at the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border when I left and entered in January.

Beginning to wonder why on Earth anyone uses that border. I used it once when Thaksin was here and the place disgusted me!

• Like 2

Entered Thailand 4 days ago at Sadao Border without any issue and only smiles from the officer.

On a French passport with Extension based on retirement and Muli Re-Entry.

No questions asked, except where do you come from and where are you going to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Beginning to wonder why on Earth anyone uses that border. I used it once when Thaksin was here and the place disgusted me!

It's the main bus route from Vietnam/Cambodia to Thailand.

I was going on holiday, fly to Saigon for a week, bus to Phnom Penh for a week, then bus to Siam Reap for a week. Changed my mind, will now miss Siam Reap and go to Koh Kong and use the border there to return to Chiang Mai.

Trat to Bangkok and Aranyaprathet to Bangkok are about the same bus travel time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Could you not change bus in PP and come in further south, seems an idea if your target was Pattaya area,

In my experience, it is less of a PITA to change in Battambang to a shared-taxi going to Ban Laem, if coming from PP.  The route to KK was slow, when I last did it (though worth doing once for the scenery).  Maybe there are faster hops (VIP vans?) PP to KK now. 

That said, and though I would not recommend it, I can understand why folks prefer the Aranya entry-point, as you can get a big-bus direct to Bangkok or Pattaya (yellow-bus) from there, and avoid vans and such.

• Like 2

I'm perfectly aware of the situation getting worse and worse up to pushing people out of the country long time residents included,let alone people like me they don't give a damn I spend money in thailand or not,But it won't prevent me from thinking they're nothing but brainless..

I'm not sure I can get multiple non immigrant O in paris,and report ing to police Thanks but french police is already enough for me

As to the reference to embassy to suggest the required return ticket within 30days it's improper as embases have no say in fixing regulations allowing entrance in the country,they just take care of visa delivery,and  i've never been asked at immigration to show this ticket,the only proper ground for rejection being,as far as I know,the money concernant ten ortwenty thousand bahts,that's why I was ask ing a statement from the immigration  making this requirements clearly set

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Could you not change bus in PP and come in further south, seems an idea if your target was Pattaya area,

I've taken your advice, ditched the trip to Siam Reap.

Instead getting the bus from Phnom Penh to Koh Kong ($12) and staying there a week.

Then over the border, bus/van to Trat, then Trat to Bangkok 310bht, then Bangkok to Chiang Mai 500bht

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Reverse the situation. Ask yourself if a Thai national could visit France, whenever they liked, on a Visa waiver, and doing this regularly without raising interest from French immigration?

I remember once standing behind several Indians entering Malaysia at KLIA. They had to show out bound tickets, hotel reservations, money etc. When I walked up it was just a smile and a stamp in the passport.

But those days are over. Europeans and other "Westerners" are no longer automatically treated as some elite upper class. Sorry but that's how it is.

There have been some good suggestions on what visas and re-entry permits might be useful to you. 

You are comparing apples with pears.France is a 1st world country,Thailand is 3rd world country.I don't think french come to Thai because they want to work here,Thais would love to go to any western country if they could, and work there.Also Thais 90% love to overstay their visa or misuse their visa[ask the Japanese and Koreans.If the immigration wouldn't be so lazy or stupid,they would separate between 1st world countries,2nd... 3rd.... and...............,actually they doing that already,most westerners get a 30 VOA,some 15days and some need a visa from their embassy,but when it comes to multiple entries they put all non Thais in one bucket.They can not or don't want to understand some westerners have money and time to travel around,so they asking stupid questions like'are you working here?'I think 99% of westerners what come here on a VOA are genuine tourists,and like the OP  said'why I should get a visa if I stay only a few days"Why Thai immigration must treat airport arrivals different from land border arrivals?Why Thai immigration treats a westerner the same way as a guy from Cambodia or Myanmar?It is obviously that  Cambodians not travel to Thailand for a beach vacation.

If they don't want non Thais travel around including neighboring countries,then they should say so clearly on their immigration or embassy website.,but that will never ever happen Thais are happy with their shi. mentality[nothing is sure] and if westerners don't like it they should stay home,since the Chinese and Indians are coming they no need westerners anymore

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

You are comparing apples with pears.France is a 1st world country,Thailand is 3rd world country.I don't think french come to Thai because they want to work here,

Even a well-off Thai could not live over years on back to back TVs in any EU country. That's fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Cambodians get much easier treatment than white guys, takes them 10 minutes to cross, we queue for an hour.

Yes on land borders,I think they no need to show a passport,they get a day pass and can not leave the province they came in