Broadband for 3 months.

vogie

I have an Australian friend married to a Thai, they have an house together here, but only plan to spend 3 months a year living in Thailand, the rest in Australia. At the moment they do not have broadband, nor never had. He would like to get broadband for the 3 months he will be living here, is this doable or will he have to sign up for the full 12 months, which he won't do.

ps, the three months living here will be continuous. Thanks in advance.

As I don't live here; I'm only visiting for a couple of months, I have no idea.  The reason I have commented though is the very good, and exceptionally reasonable phone SIM I am using - up to 10mb, plus unlimited use - DTAC, which allow hotspots from my mobile phone.

The apartment here has wi-fi, but every so often, it crashes.  When it does, I just hook into my hotspot on my laptop, or iPad, and off I go again.

I can't recall how much the 3-month package was but I seem to recall about 30-something GB pounds.  I just needed my passport at the time I signed up.

I bet it would also work from one of those little mi-fi gizmos, if your friends didn't want to tether from phones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Pocket-Broadband-UNLOCKED-4G-LTE-Mobile-Mifi-Hotspot-WIFI-Wireless-Router/183696535544?hash=item2ac52aaff8:g:MV4AAOSwsixcboTo

6 minutes ago, Maud said:

As I don't live here; I'm only visiting for a couple of months, I have no idea.  The reason I have commented though is the very good, and exceptionally reasonable phone SIM I am using - up to 10mb, plus unlimited use - DTAC, which allow hotspots from my mobile phone.

The apartment here has wi-fi, but every so often, it crashes.  When it does, I just hook into my hotspot on my laptop, or iPad, and off I go again.

I can't recall how much the 3-month package was but I seem to recall about 30-something GB pounds.  I just needed my passport at the time I signed up.

I bet it would also work from one of those little mi-fi gizmos, if your friends didn't want to tether from phones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Pocket-Broadband-UNLOCKED-4G-LTE-Mobile-Mifi-Hotspot-WIFI-Wireless-Router/183696535544?hash=item2ac52aaff8:g:MV4AAOSwsixcboTo

Thanks for the reply. He lives in a house, I right in thinking these Mifi devices need somebody else to connect to?

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Thanks for the reply. He lives in a house, I right in thinking these Mifi devices need somebody else to connect to?

Mifi devices use a mobile phone SIM, and then you'd get your internet access for your computer/phone via WiFi from the Mifi device.  You'd need to get a SIM from a mobile phone service provider (AIS, True, DTAC, etc.) and sign up for a data plan from them for three months.

Or, if you already have a mobile phone with a Thailand SIM, just tether your computer to your mobile phone and get an adequate data plan for the phone, and skip the separate Mifi device.

The problem with the MiFi plan is that unless you can lend your friend a SIM that was registered before the 1st of Feb this year, there aren't any unlimited data plans to which he can subscribe.

Though perhaps the unlimited plan for 1605 baht per month is still available.

Personally I keep a few SIM from each network alive for this purpose.

DTAC's 10 Mbps(1.25 Mbps) over 90 days plan cost 1391 baht. But no idea if it will still work on old SIMs or new. *104*598#

7 minutes ago, shady86 said:

If you are living in condo, can consider ais

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/nocontract/en/

Just need to get your own vdsl modem, or can sell to you as I have one extra unit.

I suggest not to go for 4g, depending on area, you might not even get 10Mbps and very expensive if unlimited usage.

This, of course, is nonsense.

You cannot suggest to not go for something when you have no idea of what they can receive in their area. Much less stating that it is expensive when it clearly, as shown above, is not.

Do you have experience with AIS VDSL?  How is the throughput to/from overseas sites?
No issues with my 50/20 condo package now. Pretty stable but can't match 200/200 I used in Singapore few years back. AIS 4G speed is terrible in middle of Bangkok, I rarely gets above 10mbps during day time.

7 minutes ago, shady86 said:
1 hour ago, wpcoe said:
Do you have experience with AIS VDSL?  How is the throughput to/from overseas sites?

No issues with my 50/20 condo package now. Pretty stable but can't match 200/200 I used in Singapore few years back. AIS 4G speed is terrible in middle of Bangkok, I rarely gets above 10mbps during day time.

Condo living?

I get a lot more than that at the beach resorts.

The OP's friend lives in a house. So their experience can be quite different from yours.

Condo living?

I get a lot more than that at the beach resorts.

The OP's friend lives in a house. So their experience can be quite different from yours.

I'm living in middle of Bangkok, not some jungle area or beach resorts with no one around. Of course my 4G speed goes up to 100Mbps off peak hours but nothing beats a stable fiber Internet line.

Read report below before trying to promote 4G here.

https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2018/11/thailand/state-of-the-mobile-network

13 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I'm living in middle of Bangkok, not some jungle area or beach resorts with no one around. Of course my 4G speed goes up to 100Mbps off peak hours but nothing beats a stable fiber Internet line.

Read report below before trying to promote 4G here.

https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2018/11/thailand/state-of-the-mobile-network

Middle of Bangkok, so many users at the same time. You know nothing of the OP's friend's location.

Of course it cannot beat a dedicated fibre connection, but that is not on the table, is it?

Some of us have actually used mobile connections exclusively, so no need to Google and cut and paste to give advice.

My average speed in my latest apartment building was around 15 Mbps, with DTAC and True somewhat below. Change of location to aan apartment another area and DTAC was in the ascendency with my 20 Mbps plan being maxxed out.

So first of all, the OP's friend needs to test which network offers the best performance in their location and go from there.

Middle of Bangkok, so many users at the same time. You know nothing of the OP's friend's location.

Of course it cannot beat a dedicated fibre connection, but that is not on the table, is it?

Some of us have actually used mobile connections exclusively, so no need to Google and cut and paste to give advice.
My average speed in my latest apartment building was around 15 Mbps, with DTAC and True somewhat below. Change of location to aan apartment another area and DTAC was in the ascendency with my 20 Mbps plan being maxxed out.

So first of all, the OP's friend needs to test which network offers the best performance in their location and go from there.

20Mbps is slow and not even maxing out 3g speed.

How important is a stable internet connection to you?

If the OP's friend is living in a house, he can opt to sign up for 3bb fiber.  He can do the 590 baht plan (631/mo);  100 Dn/100up.  If you pay for 1 year up front, you get 8% discount.  The modem and hookup are free with current promotions.  So it would be approximately 6970 baht for 1 year.   They also have an unlisted 250 baht/mo plan, but I cannot confirm if the free fiber modem would come with that.  Maybe you can convince them if you did a yearly or 6 month prepayment.

I would then also get mobile sim on top of this.  Easy to simply tether a hotspot from a spare smartphone or the smartphone they are using regularly, especially if it is dual sim. All of the sim cards still offer unlimited plans (after a certain data cap is reached).  For example:

http://www.mybycat.com/en/PostPay.php?package=95_my4G-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%94-50-% 

You can get 16GB + 650 voice minutes monthly for 450baht + vat.  .  the suggestion to test the mobile internet or ask around in the local place where you will be staying is a good idea.   If you want prepaid, there are add-on packages that will do something similar, but it will be more expensive.

I cannot confirm if one can temporarily suspend the service with 3bb, and if so for how long?  Even if you only use it for 3 months (and no one will stay in the house for any of the other 9 months), was it worth it? But the question 

My by Cat allows temporary service suspensions.  But I am unsure for how long.  

2 hours ago, shady86 said:
13 hours ago, JamJar said:

My average speed in my latest apartment building was around 15 Mbps, with DTAC and True somewhat below. Change of location to an apartment another area and DTAC was in the ascendency with my 20 Mbps plan being maxxed out.

20Mbps is slow and not even maxing out 3g speed.

What a ludicrous statement.

It was a 20 Mbps package, so it maxxed out the connection.

You need to be able to read and comprehend before replying.

20 Mbps isn't slow.  That is just stupid. You can easily stream Full HD material at 2.5 MB/s That's 9 GB per hour.  A decent quality Full HD rip can be as little as 3 GB. So it's clear that a 20 Mbps connection can handle that with ease..

We are allocated 10 Mbps in our apartment block and that streams all.

So please...less nonsense.

29 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

How important is a stable internet connection to you?

If the OP's friend is living in a house, he can opt to sign up for 3bb fiber.  He can do the 590 baht plan (631/mo);  100 Dn/100up.  If you pay for 1 year up front, you get 8% discount.  The modem and hookup are free with current promotions.  So it would be approximately 6970 baht for 1 year.   They also have an unlisted 250 baht/mo plan, but I cannot confirm if the free fiber modem would come with that.  Maybe you can convince them if you did a yearly or 6 month prepayment.

I would then also get mobile sim on top of this.  Easy to simply tether a hotspot from a spare smartphone or the smartphone they are using regularly, especially if it is dual sim. All of the sim cards still offer unlimited plans (after a certain data cap is reached).  For example:

http://www.mybycat.com/en/PostPay.php?package=95_my4G-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%94-50-% 

You can get 16GB + 650 voice minutes monthly for 450baht + vat.  .  the suggestion to test the mobile internet or ask around in the local place where you will be staying is a good idea.   If you want prepaid, there are add-on packages that will do something similar, but it will be more expensive.

I cannot confirm if one can temporarily suspend the service with 3bb, and if so for how long?  Even if you only use it for 3 months (and no one will stay in the house for any of the other 9 months), was it worth it? But the question 

My by Cat allows temporary service suspensions.  But I am unsure for how long.  

Hmmmmmm.....

https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages is somewhat cheaper.

Apart from that, I think the CAT packages are available to people who are porting in from another network or who are changing from CAT Prepaid to Postpay...

49 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Hmmmmmm.....

https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages is somewhat cheaper.

This is good. 

Q:  which network are they using (white labeling).  My is using True.

Is it prepaid or postpaid?

49 minutes ago, JamJar said:

......Apart from that, I think the CAT packages are available to people who are porting in from another network or who are changing from CAT Prepaid to Postpay...

Walk into any CAT Telecom office and open an account.   That's what I did.   Once when they had CDMA.  Again when they terminated CDMA and switched over to HSPA+  (like a 4-6 month gap between cancellation and opening the new sim).

There really should be an age requirement for this forum. No children allowed.

A free 10 Mbps Internet connection is more than welcome and since there is only a Full HD TV in the holiday accommodation, 4K isn't an option.

So if the OP needs to stream 4K material, he may need to look at a terrestrial connection.

But since we don't know of their requirements other than the required time period, childish statements such a 20 Mbps being slow, have no place here.

15 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

This is good. 

Q:  which network are they using (white labeling).  My is using True.

Is it prepaid or postpaid?

Walk into any CAT Telecom office and open an account.   That's what I did.   Once when they had CDMA.  Again when they terminated CDMA and switched over to HSPA+  (like a 4-6 month gap between cancellation and opening the new sim).

DTAC. They aren't white labelling. It is just DTAC. You can ask them...by calling DTAC.

I referred to the specific conditions of the CAT promotion to which you linked, not about opening an account.

You need to qualify and complete the process by the 31st of March.

Users who are eligible to receive a 50% monthly fee discount based on the following conditions:
o Users of the service to transfer camps (Port in) to services that are submitted for transfer within today - 31 March 62
o Users who change from pre-paid system to monthly (Pre to Post) successfully within today - 31 Mar 62
• 50% monthly service fee discount will expire immediately when the user requests to cancel (Terminate), transfer ownership and change number (Change Number)

Archived