options for a car that I can't transfer into my name

Hi everyone,

I purchased a second hand car, but have been unable to transfer it into my name as I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a residence certificate.

I have the blue book and sale documents.  I am not certain that all the paper work is correct my thai girlfriend thinks that they may have missed to sign some parts.  But not 100% on that.

I had the car tested and then paid the registration fees.  But I was unable to transfer it into my name.

Can I sell the car that is not registered in my name ?

Will it fetch a lower value because it's not in my name ?

Thanks your input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by seasiaman

If the only impediment is a residence certificate then you could sell it to a Thai or put it in your Thai girlfriends name first then she could sell it (but if your paperwork is correct thats not necessary) ....or just keep paying the tax and insurance every year and just drive it.

Thank you for the feedback.

I have been unable to get a residency certificate at Kanchanaburi immigration.  Explanation here.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1089235-residence-certificate-kanchanaburi/

My relationship is fairly recent, so I'd prefer to be the owner at this stage.  If things don't work out I would look to sell it.  Thanks for the suggestion of sell it to a local. 

Cheers.

18 hours ago, seasiaman said:

But I was unable to transfer it into my name.

i could be completely wrong, but you don't legally own the car.

transferring the title into your name should have happened at the transportation office. 

not having a residence certificate generated by immigration would have stopped the transfer.

also they check that the green/blue? book matches the vehicles frame/engine numbers. 

so you could sell it to a Thai but without proper ownership- registration papers. 

this would affect the selling price.

again I could be wrong about this.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

I cant see why he needs a residence Cert. To own a car, I have never had one and have owned 3 new lumps. Brought two with just a 2 month holiday visa.

Sounds like something is amiss here. Can anyone advise why he needs one, New rules? Would like to know.

Edited by fredob43

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

In CNX - to sell not required. To buy and register - needed.

Since when? As I have stated have brought 3 new ones and never been asked to show a R/C. They have also all been in my name. I only had to show passport and D/licence, proof of address. Sorted.

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Since when? As I have stated have brought 3 new ones and never been asked to show a R/C. They have also all been in my name. I only had to show passport and D/licence, proof of address. Sorted.

you paid cash ?

12 minutes ago, wombat said:

you paid cash ?

Yes. But why should that make a difference? I am assuming that the OP has paid cash as well. If he didn't the car book would be with the H/P company.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

transferring the title into your name should have happened at the transportation office. 

not having a residence certificate generated by immigration would have stopped the transfer.

also they check that the green/blue? book matches the vehicles frame/engine numbers. 

so you could sell it to a Thai but without proper ownership- registration papers. 

I think if the seller has completed their part of the paperwork it no longer belongs to the original owner - I think it is in a "Car Limbo" I think that if he were to exchange the original signed off transfer from the Thai owner he could sell the car like a middleman, a bit like a car dealership.

Correct he doesn't legally own the car yet as his name is not in the book...but if he has all other paperwork from the seller
and only lacks "residence certificate" he could sell the car to a Thai person....the car tents do this all the time...they keep the paperwork from original owner (with power of attorney form signed) until they find a buyer only then is the car transferred at the DLT..
Also he could just keep driving around without ever changing the name in the book...just keep paying yearly tax and insurance....now technically the original owner could turn up and drive it away....thats why you need to keep the sales receipt/agreement signed by both seller and buyer...the longer the car is in limbo like that the more value it looses as a potential buyer is put off by paperwork hassles.

18 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Wouldn't the 'R/C' and proof of address be the same thing?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Also he could just keep driving around without ever changing the name in the book...just keep paying yearly tax and insurance....

And never be able to buy first, second plus, or third class insurance

38 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Wouldn't the 'R/C' and proof of address be the same thing?

If that's all the Op wants simple to get one. He doesn't say how he is living here. Hotel, Rented place, with lady at her place. All he needs is to get them to wright out a form take to Amper to register and he'll be fine. Must admit bit of faffing about but can be done.

I at one time had to go to the Village head man he came with me to Amper signed a form and it was then counter signed/stamped and that was my proof of address. Cost free. + Tip for headman. 

He must also have registered with the Immigration so will have a form in his passport to show his address. I know I have. Just get it registered at local Amper. Might cost a few Bht but only peanuts.

Tip if he has to go to the Amper take someone along that speaks Thai or they won't know what your talking about. Or go to Amper in the first place and ask what they require.

Have just put in snap Immigration form confirming address. Op should have similar. Take to Amper and they will convert for you. Hope its clear enough.

IMGP0004.JPG

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

what form of proof of address did you use?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what form of proof of address did you use?

First one the now wife came with me told them the house Address flashed her ID & blue house book not that I'm on it. They accepted it as read.

Second I used the village head man and Amper easy except had to wait 1/2 an hour for head man to turn up.

Didn't want it that time to buy car just for getting a new Thai licence. But used it several months later when I brought the new lump. It must have been out of date but they still accepted it. I also brought the lump out of province.

Last one now have yellow book, took it with me when I picked up the new lump. They didn't look at it had taken address from old log book and Immigration note. The same as I posted. They did want a copy of Passport and D/L the latter for insurance. So there are ways round things.

Must admit I didn't go to the DLT office to sort anything out Toyo garage did it all.

Edited by fredob43

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

If that's all the Op wants simple to get one. He doesn't say how he is living here. Hotel, Rented place, with lady at her place. All he needs is to get them to wright out a form take to Amper to register and he'll be fine. Must admit bit of faffing about but can be done.

I at one time had to go to the Village head man he came with me to Amper signed a form and it was then counter signed/stamped and that was my proof of address. Cost free. + Tip for headman. 

He must also have registered with the Immigration so will have a form in his passport to show his address. I know I have. Just get it registered at local Amper. Might cost a few Bht but only peanuts.

Tip if he has to go to the Amper take someone along that speaks Thai or they won't know what your talking about. Or go to Amper in the first place and ask what they require.

Have just put in snap Immigration form confirming address. Op should have similar. Take to Amper and they will convert for you. Hope its clear enough.

IMGP0004.JPG

That is not any kind of residence certificate. That is an acknowledgement of 90days reporting.

There should be no problem getting a r/c if you qualify. If you do not, transfer the car to a trusted farang friend, not a Thai! The name in the blue book confers absolute title!

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

To apply for CR in CNX you need to fill a form. The form has 2 boxes that need to be marked:

1- For buying cars/motorcycle

2- For car/motorcycle driver’s license. 

Edited by The Theory

17 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I cant see why he needs a residence Cert. To own a car, I have never had one and have owned 3 new lumps. Brought two with just a 2 month holiday visa.

Sounds like something is amiss here. Can anyone advise why he needs one, New rules? Would like to know.

You need a residency certificate to register ownership of a car in Chiang Mai province even to renew your driving license.

They used to accept the pink ID card but for some reason that has changed.

18 hours ago, Grusa said:

That is not any kind of residence certificate. That is an acknowledgement of 90days reporting.

There should be no problem getting a r/c if you qualify. If you do not, transfer the car to a trusted farang friend, not a Thai! The name in the blue book confers absolute title!

I didn't say it was an R/C I said the OP might be able to change it to one in the Amper.

My previous Snap Is not a 90 day reporting form, it's the one I received from the Immigration confirming my address. When My wife registered I was living there.

Snap of 90 day reporting form. As you will see it's totally different. If you are going to put in information please at least get your facts correct.

IMGP0007.JPG

Edited by fredob43

@wombat  Yes I paid Cash

@fredob43 was the drivers license from another country or a Thai License ?

I don't have a Thai drivers license. I carry my Australian D/L and an International Drivers Permit

I tried to have it transferred into my name using a letter for my hotel stating that I have been living there.  But it was not accepted as proof.

First I went to immigration with the TM30 receipt from my hotel to extend my visa for 30 days.  I asked if they could issue the certificate of residency but they said no.  I must go to City Hall with the owner of the Hotel and the original TM30 receipt not a copy. 

I went to city hall they said come back with the owner of the hotel.

I read in other posts other people simply go to immigration with a letter from the hotel to get a CR.  Might work in other places but not Kanchanaburi or maybe just me.  I was dressed respectfully and was courteous at all times.

@johng Thanks for the explanation of how the car tents deal with the ownership.  When I do go to sell it I will check with a car tent to see what they would offer.

Thanks for input everyone.  Greatly appreciated.

Edited by seasiaman
added more info

19 hours ago, seasiaman said:

@wombat  Yes I paid Cash

@fredob43 was the drivers license from another country or a Thai License ?

I don't have a Thai drivers license. I carry my Australian D/L and an International Drivers Permit

I tried to have it transferred into my name using a letter for my hotel stating that I have been living there.  But it was not accepted as proof.

First I went to immigration with the TM30 receipt from my hotel to extend my visa for 30 days.  I asked if they could issue the certificate of residency but they said no.  I must go to City Hall with the owner of the Hotel and the original TM30 receipt not a copy. 

I went to city hall they said come back with the owner of the hotel.

I read in other posts other people simply go to immigration with a letter from the hotel to get a CR.  Might work in other places but not Kanchanaburi or maybe just me.  I was dressed respectfully and was courteous at all times.

@johng Thanks for the explanation of how the car tents deal with the ownership.  When I do go to sell it I will check with a car tent to see what they would offer.

Thanks for input everyone.  Greatly appreciated.

You should get yourself a Thai D/L asap. Many post on TVF how to get one of those. But you will need a C/R for that as well. You can use your OZ licence for that as conformation.

No you cant get a C/R at immigration, as they said you will have to go to City hall (Amper) I said that in one of my previous posts.

As they (City hall) have also said you will have to have the Hotel owner with you. To confirm your paperwork is correct, they won't take your word for it. He will have to sign some sort of form/paperwork to confirm.

Every Amper/government office has it's own rules. What they require, can differ immensely. Looks like you will have to get the hotel owner to go with you in this case, (Not always easy you might have to pay him for his time) Then you should be fine. Once you have got your C/R use it to get a Thai D/L only a couple of hours.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43