Tourist Visa Extension

Immigration Officer stamped all photocopied pages and asked  me to sign again.

Asked me following questions; why do you want to extend your stay?show me your funds, medical insurance, return ticket and your current address. 

At the end I received  30 days extension, but interrogation made me feel sick and unwelcomed 

As always, i arrived on 60 days Tourist visa with 90 days returned ticket and full medical insurance. 

It is clear, from many recent reports, that a clique of immigration-offices do not welcome us at all.  This does not at all reflect the attitude of the Thai population at large - or IOs in much of the country.

Which immigration office, or if a small one, which region of the country?

Do you have several Tourist entries back-to-back  (visas or exempt), or do you only visit occasionally?

Answers to those could help others in your situation in the future.

Edited by JackThompson

3 hours ago, SoonOh said:

Asked me following questions; why do you want to extend your stay?show me your funds, medical insurance, return ticket and your current address.

I understand that this made you feel uncomfortable but those are legit questions.

23 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

I understand that this made you feel uncomfortable but those are legit questions.

When was medical insurance a requirement for a tourist visa extension? Or any extension for that matter? I use to do loads of tourist visa extensions...I just filled out the forum payed 1900 and that was it.....No review no plane ticket...No questions..Nothing...As it should be.....

Edited by fforest1

18 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

When was medical insurance a requirement for a tourist visa extension? Or any extension for that matter? I use to do loads of tourist visa extensions...I just filled out the forum payed 1900 and that was it.....No review no plane ticket...No questions..Nothing...As it should be.....

IMO - This is blow back from the medical business in Thailand which is tiring of chasing dead beat foreigners for costs. Doctors run these institutions and they have enough sway here (and everywhere) to pressure this to happen. Though not official as yet I believe it will be eventually as more people are injured here. More of a reactive solution than a  proactive one -  for sure for it would be a lot cheaper in the long run to put a priority on public safety than worrying about who's going to pay for it calamities after they happen. 

54 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Yes the insurance questions seems strange but the rest?? What's the problem anyway if OP was able to provide everything they asked for?

Edited by Dnyy

13 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

Yes the insurance questions seems strange but the rest?? What's the problem anyway if OP was able to provide everything they asked for?

The problem is what is actually needed......Thats a HUGE AND MASSIVE problem here....Rules change from office to office from officer to officer from month to month.....Hell most banana republics are more stable than this.....No one in their right mind should be making any long term investments here in this environment...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

Those days are gone when Thailand needed foregin currency. Now they are flashed with foreign currency due to increased tourists from China and India. Baht is getting stronger and it is affecting export market. A one baht gain against a dollar reduces 10 billion baht of export there by destroying well paid jobs with pensions.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The problem is what is actually needed......Thats a HUGE AND MASSIVE problem here....Rules change from office to office from officer to officer from month to month.....Hell most banana republics are more stable than this.....No one in their right mind should be making any long term investments here in this environment...
Developers are saying long-term property investment is booming due to Chinese influx. Of course Chinese are never perpetual tourist. My land lady, a Chinese national, come twice a year and does not stay more than two weeks. She owns a half a dozen condos in Pattaya. May be Thai government likes people like that.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Then leave and don't come back if you don't like it. Easy as that.