Buying New Iphone -- more expensive in US / Thai

ThaiRebound

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may get a better price in Thailand (at MBK etc) for your iPhone6.

you can also try listing it in facebook marketplace.  Or other local groups.  You would likely get more for it.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have a look on the respective apple stores. 

Thai phones come unlocked, however, purchasing from a 'Provider' (True, AIS, DTAC) will tie you into a contract.

Have you checked the online apple Thai store?  If the language is in Thai, you can change to english at the bottom.  Starts at 39k+ all the way up to over 60k.

I think the warranty is still worldwide on new, genuine iPhones (if it is purchased in thailand), but I would write an email to apple support and confirm this.  I mean for the price, it better be ????

According to a phone call with apple Thailand, they say that the warranty is only valid within Thailand.   I noticed that the Apple Thailand website specifically excluded applecare warranty for iPhone.  You cannot buy applecare for iPhone in thailand.

Now if you buy it from your home country, USA, etc, you can purchase the applecare and still get service worldwide if you have an issue.  There is Applecare+ for most damage including screen replacement for $199 USD or AppleCare+ with lost/stolen coverage for $299 USD; 2 year total coverage from original phone purchase date.

Something to think about if you are going to pay 50-60k for a phone.

And yes, they would be unlocked if you buy direct from places like Amazon.com (make sure you double-check it is not contracted with a carrier).  In thailand, they are almost always unlocked unless you buy it discounted with a plan from a telecom provider.

From what I know as a buyer of Apple phones and computers for about 12 years, Apple prices vary very, very little across the world. I once bought an iPhone after loosing mine in BKK some years back; the difference was literally a few dollars from Sydney to BKK prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived