Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Treating Effects of Poor Air Quality

Manassas

The news says the PM levels are high here in the north. You can see the haze and there's much discussion about where it comes from.  I don't feel the effects too much, but the wife and many others are effected and complain of allergy-like symptoms. Stuffiness, watery eyes, trouble breathing freely...

My question is can people do anything to treat the symptoms? We're thinking of going to the doctor, but does anything work? Masks? Allergy meds? Anybody have any good home cures? I read one thing that PM levels go up at night and to close windows. That makes sense. Anybody else have ideas or experience?

At present the air quality is dangerously bad so avoid going out as much as possible & wear a good quality pm2,5 mask if you have to be outside for any length of time.

I have air purifiers running 24\7 in various rooms and I irrigate my eyes daily with Optrex to get rid of the grit and chemical pollutants.

This is by far the worst week in 12 years of living in CM. And the authorities are bereft of ideas and actions on preventing the burning. Until the populace react en mass nothing will be done, and that cowardly governor who threatened the schoolboy who wanted to put masks on the 3 kings monument continues to be invisible, inactive and incompetent.

8 hours ago, motdaeng said:

the inside and outside PM 2.5 is pretty similar, it depends on how seal your house is ... 
a few thoughts : use n95 mask, at least outside / air-purifier inside 24-7 / buying a PM 2.5 meter / go for holiday if you can ...

go for holiday... ????  have one scheduled in April. Didn't think it would be so bad in March.

As it turned out, wife wanted to pick up a relative from Sriburin. So we went in to the ENT Dept and saw a doctor. Doctor took time to explain everything and seemed to know what she was talking about.

She examined for sinus infection, and with that ruled out recommended treating it like an allergy. That is, nasal spray, antihistamine and decongestant. She also said good quality masks and a/c or air purifier, but be sure to keep the filters clean.  All that seemed to be the best available way to deal with it.

First time to Sriburin after the remodel. New facility looks nice and is well organized. We were in and out in under an hour.

Staying inside doesn't cut it. Unless you are also purifying the air successfully and wearing a mask properly and probably indoors too, you are exposed 24/7.

Long-term effects are the real danger. That air will shorten your life.

Wearing an N-95 mask means 5% you breathe, of the world's worst air pollution at present, filling your lungs with each breath.

Install the AirVisual app and find the clean air.

And go there.

Archived