Land Rover Series 3 Info In Thailand

RayBan

Hi everyone,

I will start my topic by indicating that I was for 2 years as a young man in the British army RCT ( Royal Corp of Transport). I enjoyed the experiences during this time of driving 10 ton ThorneyCrofts, tank transporters and also the little old Land Rover all terrain jeep and station wagon (mainly used by GS {General Staff}.

Since I have now moved from my home in Pattaya and settled into an Isaan lifestyle (which I love), well the Mrs does not like putting pigs in the back of my brand new Ford Everest SUV and I don't particularly like the muddy feet in the footwells, with the thick stench of bullsh**!!!! mixed in....although I love the country life.

Brainstorm.............find an utility vehicle for her and something for me to enjoy..........a simple nuts and bolts vehicle to play with and enjoy!!!!!!

Army days of 40 years ago start to ignite a feeling of desire and revival of one's past experiences. Oily hands, dirty fingernails, crap in the hair from lying underneath that magnificent british Enterprise of 50 years ago, cursing, swearing, love and tender care of a magnificent brute.............the Land Rover Series 3 all terrain vehicle.........it hates tarmac and concrete, give it a muddy bog and a desire to have every bone in your body rattled by it's emotional stress, never to let you down...............heaven on earth for the lucky few!!!!!

OK, I want one, but where do I find such a specimen in Thailand. Maybe 1 year ago Hans adertised one (well refurbished and I have been in touch with him)....thank you Hans for your input.

I don't often frequent the full TV Forum, I am a browser, I tend to focus on Isaan forum. One day recently, whilst scrolling down to Isaan I spot an advert on the Chiang Mai Forum for a Land Rover Sale. Tosa (the vendor) has not really followed the TV rules of advertisement (purely through lack of understanding) and his thread is deemed incorrect. However I have already zoomed in, contacted Tosa....and after negotiation etc over TV and pm's with video links to the vehicle etc, well I bought it unseen physically, only electronically dispatched.

Last week the vehicle took on the journey of 700kms from CM to Buriram and it made it without an hiccup. Since delivery I have put it through the paces and it is in fine condition mechanically and structurally...........thank you Tosa for being an upstanding guy (British). It does need a lot of TLC (Tender Loving Care) and that will come in time...............the Thai's love it..............why..........see attachment

KING.bmp

Now see my Land Rover

post-17773-1172753934_thumb.jpg

Now to my thread................I am mechanically minded, the LR is a nuts and bolts vehicle............but I need info on parts available in Thailand, Land rover Clubs in Thailand etc. I am aware and already actively operational in the web based UK land Rover clubs etc....but have no experience in importing parts........any info gratefully received. I am a Land Rover nut, anyone wishing to participate in any kind of personal or public chat on this subject is welcomed with open arms................hoping for a positive response........... :o ........RayBan

One of the amazing things about Thailand seems to be the fact that old "antique" refurbished vehicles are to be seen almost everywhere, so obviously spare parts must be readily available.

Saying that, a couple of years ago I spotted a SWB Land Rover parked up with a for sale sign, saw it every day for months and one day my curiosity got the better of me and I stopped for a look. sadly it was carrying an Isuzu diesel engine,so not original. Later I found a LWB for sale, only to find that the transmission brake was disconnected as the guy said the parts were too expensive !!!

I wonder what the fuel consumption was on your 700 Km safari ?

Anyhow good luck with your search

RayBan Posted 2007-03-01 20:09:26

Now to my thread................I am mechanically minded, the LR is a nuts and bolts vehicle............but I need info on parts available in Thailand, Land rover Clubs in Thailand etc. I am aware and already actively operational in the web based UK land Rover clubs etc....but have no experience in importing parts........any info gratefully received. I am a Land Rover nut, anyone wishing to participate in any kind of personal or public chat on this subject is welcomed with open arms................hoping for a positive response........... cool.gif ........RayBan

Best 4x4 by far!

Have a friend that with a 109 three door. Helped him look for it last year. So far parts have not been a problem. There seems to be a Landie knowledgable mechanic in most Thai towns, several down here. Amazing how many really nice ones you see when you are on the lookout.

Do a net search. There is a large Landie club on the net. All in Thai but they have loads of ads for parts and vehicles.

nonthaburial Posted Yesterday, 2007-03-02 08:55:27

Sadly it was carrying an Isuzu diesel engine,so not original.

As to the Isuzu engine. The one we found has a 2.8 Isuzu diesel. Having driven many series Land Rovers, I would swap the 2 1/4 diesel for a good Jap diesel any day. As long as the conversion is done well, the Jap engines are much more powerful, reliable and refined. The Nissan Ld28 or Rd28 sixes are very nice, smooth and with resonable power, not perfect for very serious off roading but very good on the road. The Isuzu engine is very good if a little noisy but still better than the original.

Edited by nakhonsi sean

Now to my thread................I am mechanically minded, the LR is a nuts and bolts vehicle............but I need info on parts available in Thailand, Land rover Clubs in Thailand etc. I am aware and already actively operational in the web based UK land Rover clubs etc....but have no experience in importing parts........any info gratefully received. I am a Land Rover nut, anyone wishing to participate in any kind of personal or public chat on this subject is welcomed with open arms................hoping for a positive response........... :D ........RayBan

Hi Ray :bah:

We've never met but have enjoyed your 'biker' posts. :D As I'm another 'Landpig' fan, if you want any reasonable sized reference/manuals brought over from the UK, I'll be coming home to Surin early April (via BFV) and I would be happy to help. My GF just looks in amazement/horror when I spot a Landrover and tell her how good they are. She's more a 'Vigo babe' but I'm working on that. :o

Regards Dave n Sri :D:D

Theres loads of them around here in Pattaya, Ive even seen a 101 forward control. I drove my first Landy (well held the steering wheel while sitting on my farthers knees) when I was 4 year old and ended up driving the bledy things for the next 40 odd years, well actualy the latter time I had mooved up to Range Rovers, my backbone and internal organs just couldent take any more cart sprung Landys !

Anyway if you can't find anything in your area Pattaya's the place.

There is a place about 5 km south of Nakhon Sawan on the Bangkok side that always has about 10 Land Rovers in various states or repair and all for sale as far as I know.

My wife was talking about getting one years ago but we live out in the boonies and I have never seen one up here.

I suspect the cost of repairs and maintenance would be too high and we have a Ford Ranger 4x4 which is more comfortable (and has a/c).

Hi everyone,

I will start my topic by indicating that I was for 2 years as a young man in the British army RCT ( Royal Corp of Transport). I enjoyed the experiences during this time of driving 10 ton ThorneyCrofts, tank transporters and also the little old Land Rover all terrain jeep and station wagon (mainly used by GS {General Staff}.

Since I have now moved from my home in Pattaya and settled into an Isaan lifestyle (which I love), well the Mrs does not like putting pigs in the back of my brand new Ford Everest SUV and I don't particularly like the muddy feet in the footwells, with the thick stench of bullsh**!!!! mixed in....although I love the country life.

Brainstorm.............find an utility vehicle for her and something for me to enjoy..........a simple nuts and bolts vehicle to play with and enjoy!!!!!!

Army days of 40 years ago start to ignite a feeling of desire and revival of one's past experiences. Oily hands, dirty fingernails, crap in the hair from lying underneath that magnificent british Enterprise of 50 years ago, cursing, swearing, love and tender care of a magnificent brute.............the Land Rover Series 3 all terrain vehicle.........it hates tarmac and concrete, give it a muddy bog and a desire to have every bone in your body rattled by it's emotional stress, never to let you down...............heaven on earth for the lucky few!!!!!

OK, I want one, but where do I find such a specimen in Thailand. Maybe 1 year ago Hans adertised one (well refurbished and I have been in touch with him)....thank you Hans for your input.

I don't often frequent the full TV Forum, I am a browser, I tend to focus on Isaan forum. One day recently, whilst scrolling down to Isaan I spot an advert on the Chiang Mai Forum for a Land Rover Sale. Tosa (the vendor) has not really followed the TV rules of advertisement (purely through lack of understanding) and his thread is deemed incorrect. However I have already zoomed in, contacted Tosa....and after negotiation etc over TV and pm's with video links to the vehicle etc, well I bought it unseen physically, only electronically dispatched.

Last week the vehicle took on the journey of 700kms from CM to Buriram and it made it without an hiccup. Since delivery I have put it through the paces and it is in fine condition mechanically and structurally...........thank you Tosa for being an upstanding guy (British). It does need a lot of TLC (Tender Loving Care) and that will come in time...............the Thai's love it..............why..........see attachment

KING.bmp

Now see my Land Rover

post-17773-1172753934_thumb.jpg

Now to my thread................I am mechanically minded, the LR is a nuts and bolts vehicle............but I need info on parts available in Thailand, Land rover Clubs in Thailand etc. I am aware and already actively operational in the web based UK land Rover clubs etc....but have no experience in importing parts........any info gratefully received. I am a Land Rover nut, anyone wishing to participate in any kind of personal or public chat on this subject is welcomed with open arms................hoping for a positive response........... :o ........RayBan

Hi, might be able to help you with this i know a Thai guy who has a series 3 and at least 2 more series cars ,he is also in the motor parts trade in Buriram , just bought myself a disco v8 so will have the same problems ? Would like to see your truck ,i am living in Buriram ,if you want to meet and talk LR give me a call , cheers Mick 0867230593

Thank you for the replies so far, several interesting possible sources of information. I have been searching the net vigorously for Thailand contacts, but most is obviously in Thai. Any English sort of parts reference tends to go back to UK ordering, so I am still working on that. I have actually already ordered a workshop manual and restoration manual from UK, so we will see how that goes!!!!!!!!! thanks for the offer davethedude, but that was already activated before my posting. Send me a PM when you are home in Surin and maybe we can get together one afternoon.

Thanks billd766 for that info too and I will pay a visit for sure to Nakhon Sawan when I am driving that way, keen to search out all references to parts etc. Same goes to you to undercover, i regularly visit Pattaya, lived there for a few years and still have lots of pals back there.

Discomick, you are guaranteed a phone call soon and a few free cold'ns while we talk.

As an update I live half way between Prakhon Chai and Prasat, along highway 24 in Buriram province and actually came across a small garage just outside Prakhon Chai which overhauls and sells old jeeps etc. I called in and to my astonishment came across an old series 2 landrover in the back. He told me he could get parts etc, so I am testing him with some rear light modules, see what happens.

I have attached a further pic and will post more if the interest is there. Chassis and bodywork sound, engine is now a 3 litre toyota diesel and at first impressions a good'n. There seems to be problems with the electrics (my weak spot) and rear lamp lenses have actually melted, so having that checked out as we speak. It has a lot of potential and a good repaint job would make it look pristine again. Intereior needs a good overhaul, but shouldn't be a problem.........the dash board is in a pretty miserable condition, broken up and parts hanging on by a few threads so to speak, but a worthwhile project for restoration for sure. I have attached a pic of a TV acquaintance that I met in my search for info who had last year sold a restored LD........looks pretty smart and a colour I am contemplating changing too.

If I missed anyone out who took the courtesy to reply, my apologies, all the input was gratefully received............ :D ....... :o..RayBan

post-17773-1173262336_thumb.jpg

post-17773-1173262514_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...