GPS Ride Tracking problems

StreetCowboy

I use Runtastic app on my iPhone6.

Recently I have had problems with gaps in my data where the phone has stopped logging for a few seconds or minutes.

I am sure that it is a setting that has been accidentally changed, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

I have browsed my settings, and can't see anything relevant

I tried re-installing Runtastic, with no improvement.\

I think it may be a phone problem, as yesterday evening while I was sat finishing my beer down at the outdoor Chinese restaurant I checked Runtastic, Strava and Google Maps apps, and all concurred that I was completely stationary 300 m over there, at the back of the school behind the police station.  I didn't go over to check, but I am fairly confident I was not there, since I was sat in the Chinese restaurant.  

When I started to ride up to the pub, Runtastic traced a fairly erratic path from the Chinese restaurant up the 200 or 300 metres, and I am confident I was not weaving that much; I'd have fallen off going over the kerbs for a start.  So I might be moved to buy a new phone, if things do not improve... and I can't find any setting that might be adrift that could be the source of my woes, that might trigger any improvement.

Have you considered a dedicated GPS bike computer?

I use a Polar RCX5 to log GPS and other data for my rides and a Polar CS500 as my on bike display and back up speed/cadence/heart rate etc. These are now becoming obsolete and are not compatible to Strava, so I am switching to a Polar M460.

I've tried using my iPhone but its doesn't come close to the dedicated computers for ease of operation. 

On that point, I'll be sorry to see my CS500 go, Polar really did get the ergonomics right when they designed this. A big display and extremely easy to operate while riding - from an ergonomics point of view nothing else I have seen come close. 

The M460 doesn't offer live mapping but once I've learned a route I don't need a map. 

Goodbye CS500

Unknown.jpeg.8f30c7857821493e9fb0301549d91400.jpeg

Hello M460

Unknown-1.jpeg.3abe060c594121aa8a437b55b24c6941.jpeg

I did think about that, but it's one more device to carry and charge, while my iphone I charge every night as I need it for work and internet in the pub anyway.

I like being able to locate the photos that I take while out and about, as well.

Also, I use the GPS on the phone when I am out and about either on foot or in the car as well.

When we were talking about this, my buddy who uses one of these GPS watches with heart rate monitor, and struggles for battery life for the ride home unless he turns it off in the pub (also true for my iPhone, but since I live across the road from the pub I'm not so bothered) anyway, my buddy said that he was not sure whether his GPS watch cost more than his bike.  

I do make use of Google maps from time to time, as well, when we're out.

If it was me, I'd put a dynamo in the hub of one of the wheels, and have USB charging points all over the bike for your lights, computer, phone, toaster.  I'd have the lights built in so that they could not be so easily stolen, too, with a central battery bank.  And a Dolby Surround Sound while we're at it.

SC

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 10:45 PM, bobfish said:

Maybe reinstall the Runtastic App?

Or throw away the iPhone? Disclaimer: I've got 2 of the @#$%^&* things.

In the end I bought a new iPhone - 7, because it is allegedly water-proof, and I’ve had phones fail in the rain before (Nokia and iPhone4 on the same day, going for an excursion on the way into work one Saturday)

Archived