Received My Thai Driver's License!

The address confirmation letter is always issued free of charge at your nearest Immigration office. You need to have your landlord/house owner with you and guarantee that you live at that address though.

The Immigration police will provide you with the paper you need.

A photo-copy of the ID-card of your landlord will do. Signed by your landlord.

And the rental contract of course, signed by the same landlord.

Two photographs as well.

The information given in this link might not be up to date anymore.

Take more money with you otherwise you might not have enough to pay for your five year valid driving license (appr. 550 Baht and motocy appr. 250)

The life-long ones don't exist anymore.

I thought the one year ones neither, but Lancelot got one which proves the contrary.

With a non-immigrant "O" visa, can l keep using a current International license?

Can l apply for a Thai license?

Officially, my dear Rangsit, you need a Thai license if you are longer than three months in the Kingdom.

This regulation seems not to be inforced. But it might if police officers or agents of insurance companies would be aware of it. The nice thing about a Thai driving license is that at many occasions it is accepted as an ID-card. So why not get one?

Incalculate to go twice.

The information given in this link might not be up to date anymore.

Take more money with you otherwise you might not have enough to pay for your five year valid driving license (appr. 550 Baht and motocy appr. 250)

The life-long ones don't exist anymore.

I thought the one year ones neither, but Lancelot got one which proves the contrary.

Yes, Limbo, I saw that, but left it as a first Thai DL will be for one year, only.

Baht 105. After 1 year can apply for 5 year's validity, Baht 505

George, pls have a look on the link

No rules? I get 5 year licence (car and mc) from my eu licence. They need a translation of my licence to Thai. 500 bath for translation and 200 bath for a stamp from some ministery in Bangkok. The small translationoffice in Bangkok did the minestrywork and send it to me. With this translation, copy of passport and non imm, eyetest from a doctor(50bath), I was told that they need a paper who confirm my adress. I went to the policeman who was sendt by immigration when i applied for my 1 year visa ex and asked if he can confirm my adress. He was so kind and go with me to transport department and talk to an officer, I don't know what he say, but I think he just confirm my adress. Well after paying for licence it tooks about 30min before a I get the licence. No test!

No rules? I get 5 year licence (car and mc) from my eu licence. They need a translation of my licence to Thai. 500 bath for translation and 200 bath for a stamp from some ministery in Bangkok. The small translationoffice in Bangkok did the minestrywork and send it to me. With this translation, copy of passport and non imm, eyetest from a doctor(50bath), I was told that they need a paper who confirm my adress. I went to the policeman who was sendt by immigration when i applied for my 1 year visa ex and asked if he can confirm my adress. He was so kind and go with me to transport department and talk to an officer, I don't know what he say, but I think he just confirm my adress. Well after paying for licence it tooks about 30min before a I get the licence. No test!

I wonder the next time you get any translation done you could slip them a few baht more and get them to translate this into some form of the English language I could understand.

As Tony Balir said

Edukashun, edukashun, edukashun ever fawt about teechin Engrish?

With a non-immigrant "O" visa, can l keep using a current International license?

Can l apply for a Thai license?

THAI DRIVER'S LICENCES

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

They need a translation of my licence to Thai. 500 bath for translation and 200 bath for a stamp from some ministery in Bangkok.

License in a language other than english? They just asked me some questions about my US driver's licenss. No translations necessary. My biggest mistake was not getting the (lowcost) address confirmation from Immigration.

The nice people down at the US Embassy charge B1,200 for a form that I filled out. They haven't a clue -and could care less- about where I live.

Corruption doesn't exist in the US, naaaa....

Somehow it's so cute that 500 bath will fix pretty much anything in the wonderful LOS...

Good thing we're only guests in this country and don't have voting rights - otherwise we might feel inclined to voice our opinions...and help these misdirected individuals?

/// DFW

• 4 weeks later...
BTW, the license is very useful as proof of residency to get Thai level prices at some places (most hotels offering lower Thai-only prices, admission to National parks, etc).

Is that the one year license or the five year license that gets you into National Parks at the Thai price?

Neither in my experience!!

Went to a hot spring in Chaiyaphum last week with my Thai g/f, her daughter and mother, her mother's sisters and their children, plus kids from the neighbourhood - most of them in the back of my pick-up. My TGF's mother talked to the Thai lady at the entrance and I was let in for 20 Baht on a Thai ticket. :o

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

I agree with your list of what is required, however, as has been said earlier, confirmation of your address is much cheaper (in my case no charge) from an Immigration Office.

Regarding the valid international licence, I had only a valid UK licence (till 2018) which sufficed even without translation. Total time in office = 40 mins.

My local police station did a res. conf. letter for me. They copied wifes' tambien ban and charged me 200bht. Actually just gave this 200 as a tip to the officer who typed it as there was no official chg and he did it while I waited.

BTW, the license is very useful as proof of residency to get Thai level prices at some places (most hotels offering lower Thai-only prices, admission to National parks, etc).

Is that the one year license or the five year license that gets you into National Parks at the Thai price?

Neither in my experience!!

I went to Khao Yai Park, 200 baht for Foreigners, 20 Baht for Thai's.

Showed my Thai Driving License and it was 20 Baht for me also.

My local police station did a res. conf. letter for me. They copied wifes' tambien ban and charged me 200bht. Actually just gave this 200 as a tip to the officer who typed it as there was no official chg and he did it while I waited.

Hey ajahnlau, where is your "local" police station. Is it in a non-farang area? I'm thinking that maybe the boys in brown are a little more friendly and cooperative in places where they don't have to deal with the usual drunk/loud/aggressive type of farang tourist. :o

QUOTE (Lancelot @ Thu 2004-05-27, 15:53:18)

QUOTE (davethailand @ Thu 2004-05-27, 06:30:26)

got my 5 year licenses last week.

Dave, you received your five year licenses after your original one year licenses? I asked about a five year license, but no deal.

after you have had thai driving licenses for 2 years, when you apply before the end of the second year you can get 5 years.

Just got my license renewed today for 6.5 year. It will expires on my December Birthdya of the 6th year.

Just asked for a 5 year license and that is what they gave me. Gave them copies of my Non "O" Visa, Passport Photo page, Medical Certificate, Umphurs statement that I have lived in the particular village for XX years and the 505 baht fee.

Walked away 5 minutes later with a cat's grin like the one that just ate the mouse. My new motto is: When in Thailand ask no question, for you may get a response and never take someone that speaks Thai with you.

:o

It will expires on my December Birthdya of the 6th year.

Sorry about the spelling. I'm still in the clouds for having won this prize. :D

Congratulations, you lucky b*gger! I've just had a nightmare at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office. Total chaos. Totally unhelpful non-English speaking staff, completely overwhelmed by the number of Thais applying for licenses. Not only unhelpful, but almost aggressive. I asked for two applications and the man kept saying that he'd already given me one. Had to explain I wanted one for a motorcycle and one for a car. So he lost face and got more uppety.

The woman processing the forms was just as bad - processed all the 129 Thais before any of the three farangs. Then wanted duplicates of everything - medical cert., house papers, etc - no chance of persuading her that both licenses were for the same person, ME!! So went away vowing to put on a really nice smile next time and get there very very early.

You think Immigration are a problem? Hah! They are pussies compared to this lot.

I don't often get totally peed off, normally accepting that "This Is Thailand". But today.... I could have throttled someone. Jai yen yen, jai yen yen! <deleted> me! :o:D

Update 8th July

Just got both my licences - motorcycle (55 baht) and car (105 baht). This time got to the office at 8:10 - before most of the staff! Still had many Thais waiting (20-ish). Was just going to get the car licence this time. When the lady arrived to process the forms, she saw me waiting and processed me almost first! Told me to sign a few photocopies that I hadn't and then, when she was examining my UK licence, asked me if I wanted a motorcycle licence too! Er... yes, please! So she told me to copy everything and fill out a second form for the bike. Fortunately I already had many spare copies of everything so went back to her after only 5 minutes. Had to wait while she processed another 50 Thais and then she did me. Told to go upstairs for the eye test (no problems) and back downstairs to join the queue for more document checking, to another window to hand over documents and pay, another for signing licence and getting a number and a final wait of 20 minutes to get the licences. All done in about 1 1/2 hours. Then off to the photo shop to get the paper licence laminated (10 baht each). A bit of a struggle, but worth it for peace of mind. :D

My best tip: get their early! (before anyone has had time to get frazzled :D )

Edited by RDN