3BB taking control of your computer?

rick44

I also think that people who pay more than the minimum are just dreaming to get a better speed than standard packages. No way that you really get more for international servers when paying 1200 instead of 700.

Absolutely right. People go to speedtest and say, look I'm getting 200 megabits/s download speed but that's to Bangkok, not through the international gateway. That has nothing to do with 3bb telling you that you have an international package. The speed of the international gateway is outside 3BB control.

5 hours ago, trd said:

Where is the server located that you are using for your speed test. Which site or software are you using for your test. Is the test server defaulted to Bangkok? What happens to the measured download speed if you change the server to New York, or London?

I'm using the latest Speedtest App. *( mb/s was for LA, I just tried London and got 44.2 and NY was 38.9. 

I'm using the latest Speedtest App. *( mb/s was for LA, I just tried London and got 44.2 and NY was 38.9. 
That seems about right. Now if you change the server to 3bb Bangkok you will get 100 or 200 depending on your package. So what I was trying to say before is that when I downgraded from the 200 the 100 package I was still getting around 30- 50 as you are internationally. The extra speed I was paying for to Bangkok and internally within the Thailand network makes no difference if the pipe coming into the country is only allowing 50.

1 hour ago, trd said:

Absolutely right. People go to speedtest and say, look I'm getting 200 megabits/s download speed but that's to Bangkok, not through the international gateway. That has nothing to do with 3bb telling you that you have an international package. The speed of the international gateway is outside 3BB control.

We can argue this all day long but 3BB has full control over the amount of int'l speed.

3BB buys international bandwidth from TOT, which is at a premium price as the Gov regulates it. 

3BB then allocates the bandwidth according to customer demand.

Those paying extra for int'l bandwidth will get priority but will never get the speed that 3BB customer service quotes.

I called 3BB and asked how much speed I am getting and was quoted 500/500 and the same for Int'l.

I advised them I never have more than 100. She said she will have an engineer contact me which happened an hour later.

He told me that his department has told sales to stop quoting these int'l speeds as it will never happen based on their allocation of bandwidth.

He did say it will get much better when the new int's cable to Thailand is completed this year. He expects int'l speeds to triple.

He said the best he can do is prioritize my int'l routing which will give me some additional speed.

2 minutes ago, trd said:
18 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That seems about right. Now if you change the server to 3bb Bangkok you will get 100 or 200 depending on your package. So what I was trying to say before is that when I downgraded from the 200 the 100 package I was still getting around 30- 50 as you are internationally. The extra speed I was paying for to Bangkok and internally within the Thailand network makes no difference if the pipe coming into the country is only allowing 50.

I checked my BKK speed and getting 900. Just checked it again and getting 930.  lol

We can argue this all day long but 3BB has full control over the amount of int'l speed.
3BB buys international bandwidth from TOT, which is at a premium price as the Gov regulates it. 
3BB then allocates the bandwidth according to customer demand.
Those paying extra for int'l bandwidth will get priority but will never get the speed that 3BB customer service quotes.
I called 3BB and asked how much speed I am getting and was quoted 500/500 and the same for Int'l.
I advised them I never have more than 100. She said she will have an engineer contact me which happened an hour later.
He told me that his department has told sales to stop quoting these int'l speeds as it will never happen based on their allocation of bandwidth.
He did say it will get much better when the new int's cable to Thailand is completed this year. He expects int'l speeds to triple.
He said the best he can do is prioritize my int'l routing which will give me some additional speed.
Yes it's true, 3bb will say you get more of that allocated international bandwidth if you pay more. But my measurements of download speeds before and after my downgrade tell a different story. That's all I'm saying.

What I was able to do in the past to get more international bandwidth was to go to US and European servers via a VPN in Singapore. Because there is a direct fiber-optic connection between Phuket and Singapore that prioritized that VPN traffic to Singapore it got me an extra 20mbps bandwidth over and above what I already had.

3 minutes ago, trd said:

Yes it's true, 3bb will say you get more of that allocated international bandwidth if you pay more. But my measurements of download speeds before and after my downgrade tell a different story. That's all I'm saying.

What I was able to do in the past to get more international bandwidth was to go to US and European servers via a VPN in Singapore. Because there is a direct fiber-optic connection between Phuket and Singapore that prioritized that VPN traffic to Singapore it got me an extra 20mbps bandwidth over and above what I already had.

Nice deal.. How did you find out about the fibre connection to Sing?

I just heard it from someone else on Thai visa who had that tip for getting more bandwidth. As it happened I was using a VPN at that time which did have the option of a server in Sing so I tried it myself and it worked.

1 minute ago, trd said:
4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I just heard it from someone else on Thai visa who had that tip for getting more bandwidth. As it happened I was using a VPN at that time which did have the option of a server in Sing so I tried it myself and it worked.

I will check it out.. Ny VPN has Sing servers as well.. Thanks

I will check it out.. Ny VPN has Sing servers as well.. Thanks
Even before I did the measurements I could see it was working because at the time I was streaming movies from genesis on Kodi and I was getting a lot of buffering. When I switched through to the vpn in sing - no more buffering.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, 55Jay said:

My 3BB has been wonky for about a month.  Random drops and I get a message bar along the top of the browser telling me I have to log in and check my service status.  Hangs for a minute then goes away, back to normal without having to reset or do anything. 

I have that problem very often,very annoying and when asked about it 3BB had no solution.

4 hours ago, rick44 said:

Perhaps the title of this post was a bit dramatic, but at least they are taking control of your browsers, which is bad enough, and very amateurish, as someone pointed out.

I couldn't access one of the websites I run, and wasted a couple of hours in a state of near panic... Turned out that adding an "s" to the http in my bookmark fixed it, but I find this totally unforgivable. Perhaps one should sue them for mental anguish.

Keep things in perspective.

I had the same problem as the OP, came suddenly one morning and I got round it by using a VPN. I did some research and it would appear to be a common default position with ISPs if there is a DNS problem. The geeks suggested changing the router to public DNS settings, something I was reluctant to do.

Although the url indicated '3bb advertise' the screen was blank. There is a distinct difference between putting up a blank page as opposed to "taking control of the browser".

The problem disappeared after 3 days, chances are 3BB were doing some work on the servers which may have affected the DNS settings.

Screenshots below would show 3BBs message when payment due/overdue up to 1 month (in TH and EN, it's called 'soft warning'), the third pic is the login-page you reach after pressing 'Click', by that time your browser/internet-connection is back to normal.

When the first message pops up it cuts through whatever connection is active eg. VLC radio-streaming and the likes, not only browsing ... I should know, my landlady is permanently 1 month late, so these friendly reminders pop up every couple of days.
Now, I just have to keep an eye on her not forgetting the always already belated payments before she hits 2nd month overdue, 'cause then it gets locked with a 'hard warning' and you'll only get it back by forking over 2 due payments! 

315744614_3bb-softwarning-TH.JPG.f9a3b4088a3839fef0ede718fb8c5a82.JPG

1240970390_3bb-softwarning-EN.JPG.e0e9b9aaf1e1aaebc394f80759d929fc.JPG

3bb-LOGIN-TH.JPG.af396388cf2a22f1b1d02bbf97437edc.JPG

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Although the url indicated '3bb advertise' the screen was blank.

This could be AdBlock, or uBlock (I use both), after disabling them the page displayed normally for me, and freed up the connection.

14 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

This could be AdBlock, or uBlock (I use both), after disabling them the page displayed normally for me, and freed up the connection.

Don't know what you are trying to say. Normal conditions produced a "3bb advertise" page. With the VPN on I got the website I was looking for.

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, trd said:

Yes, in my experience also with 3BB and even True, an international VPN connection to a server in Singapore seems to be about the fastest route to the outside world, because Thailand has good peering with Singapore, and Singapore has good peering to the world (unlike Thailand).

The only time using a Singapore-based VPN server is going to become a problem in that regard is if the content you're trying to access requires a home country IP address (like the U.S. or UK, etc), which the Singapore VPN server isn't going to provide despite being fast.

In the past, I had one VPN provider that offered a Singapore VPN server connection that resolved as a U.S. IP address, which was great for my purposes. But they they stopped providing that particular type of connection, so poof!, it was gone.

Archived