Requirement for taking son out of Thailand

Hi

im not sure I have started this in the correct section, apologies if it's wrong.

Im planning to take my son out of Thailand before songkran with out my girl friend, it will just be the 2 of us.

What I'm I required to show at check in or immigration to show that I have permission to do so??

My son has both U.K. and Thai passport.

thanks in advance 

scott 

You will need to get a letter from the local amphur, with Mom's signature stating that she gives her permission for the child to leave the country.

Now this is a bit of a fuzzy point, and you could, since he's a dual citizen try to without it, but from bitter experience it can be a problem without that piece of paper.

I had a very similar experience.

My son is dual US/Thai. You have to show their foreign passport at check in to show they have a legal right of entry to the country you are going to, but at immigration, since they are Thai, they need to provide their Thai passport.

That's when things get sticky without that form from the amphur.

I spent 40+ minutes at immigration, getting my wife on the phone to talk with the immigration officer, and it was touch and go that they let us depart

Take your wife to the local amphur, expect to spend half a day dealing with Thai bureaucracy, but it'll be worth it

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You will need to get a letter from the local amphur, with Mom's signature stating that she gives her permission for the child to leave the country.

Now this is a bit of a fuzzy point, and you could, since he's a dual citizen try to without it, but from bitter experience it can be a problem without that piece of paper.

I had a very similar experience.

My son is dual US/Thai. You have to show their foreign passport at check in to show they have a legal right of entry to the country you are going to, but at immigration, since they are Thai, they need to provide their Thai passport.

That's when things get sticky without that form from the amphur.

I spent 40+ minutes at immigration, getting my wife on the phone to talk with the immigration officer, and it was touch and go that they let us depart

Take your wife to the local amphur, expect to spend half a day dealing with Thai bureaucracy, but it'll be worth it

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the passport issue when checking in with different passports but thanks for the update.

and as you mentioned I could try with just his U.K. Passport but there is always the possibility he wouldn't be allowed.

anyway we will make a trip to the amphur.

cheers

3 minutes ago, scottyp1980 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware of the passport issue when checking in with different passports but thanks for the update.

and as you mentioned I could try with just his U.K. Passport but there is always the possibility he wouldn't be allowed.

anyway we will make a trip to the amphur.

cheers

As much as it irritated me at the time, with hindsight it all makes sense.

Every country is battling parental abductions, along with human trafficking, so unlike many things in Thailand, this actually has some logic to it

You may get a handful of replies suggesting you won't need the Affidavit of Consent to travel with a minor - Ignore them. It's far better to have the document and not need it than find yourself stuck.

I have travelled twice with my Son without my Wife (when he was 3 and again when he was 4), my son has my Surname, Immigration didn't request any documentation. 

As a precaution I did have a signed document from my Wife, but it wasn't notarized by the local Amphur Office - we just took the chance and my Wife, who'd dropped us off at the Airport stayed nearby until we'd cleared Immigration. 

Having the 'Affidavit of Consent to travel with a minor' document at hand will avoid any issue - a friend has been questioned before (it took a phone call from the mother for Immigration to permit travel).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may get a handful of replies suggesting you won't need the Affidavit of Consent to travel with a minor - Ignore them. It's far better to have the document and not need it than find yourself stuck.

I have travelled twice with my Son without my Wife (when he was 3 and again when he was 4), my son has my Surname, Immigration didn't request any documentation. 

As a precaution I did have a signed document from my Wife, but it wasn't notarized by the local Amphur Office - we just took the chance and my Wife, who'd dropped us off at the Airport stayed nearby until we'd cleared Immigration. 

Having the 'Affidavit of Consent to travel with a minor' document at hand will avoid any issue - a friend has been questioned before (it took a phone call from the mother for Immigration to permit travel).

I'm dittoing that

Better spend a few hours battling at the amphur than booking your ticket only to be denied boarding.

I came close to that and learned my lesson. My son was 13 or 14 at the time. I suspect the younger the child it becomes even more problematic at immigration

Flew out of Bangkok on Tuesday past, similar situation, son age 11. I had booked the ticket from BKK back to UK for myself earlier and added the son on via the air lines Bangkok office, who said the would put notes on saying we were travelling together, he is listed on my airline profile as a co-traveller, but only one space for a passport (so his Thai one is listed).

Anyway, previously asked an IO if the son was travelling without mum, any special docs required ( perhaps also with his Grandfather). Always carry a copy of.the Thai birth cert, linking the family name was suggested.

So I took

Copy of Thai BC

Copy of British version BC,

Copy of e-ticket summary of return trip, with mum's permission & agreement for the trip, written on it, together with contact Number and signed. (Also have copies of mums ID with me on the phone etc)

Could not check-in online with the two passports, so at the airport before the 3hours. Presented both his passports at check-in.

Everything was fine, they called a supervisor, but just to clarify how to enter the use of the two passports on the system.

Present only the Thai passport at BKK passport control.

(I had a full arrival and.departure card written out for the son, thought he would get the arrival bit back, but the son said the IO did not return any part,presume it will be a new one on the way back)

Used the UK passport for the rest of the trip, no issues at all, either at the halfway stop or on arrival at the UK airport.

Things could differ dependant on your carrier and transit points perhaps?

p.s. Watch the small print in the travel insurance, it based on the kid being resident in Thailand and travelling to the UK.

Some policy's then had in the definition section that Residency, was " resident or citizen"of the country, which would cancel the whole point of the insurance. Finally got one that seems ok for just over 4k Baht for 36 days ish. Had narrowed it down to two possible providers, then flipped a.coin...

Edited by johnwf1963
  • Like 1

I ditto Johnw comments above. Always carried his suggested documents and mum's written permission too, nothing more

I have flown loads with my daughter who has dual nationality and the IO's never blinked; never asked for anything or wanted to contact mum. A couple of times they initiated idle chit chat about purpose for travel, sussuing us out I suppose......

However I notice the OP mentioned  'girlfriend', could well be a different case if not married......head to amphur it is then.....good luck on your travels.....