Buffets

WaiWai

Silomjoy is on Changklan Road, a couple of km past the night bizarre and across from Samo. The sign is in Thai, and the open air resto opens in the evening only.

In relation to this topic...I don't think Silomjoy offers buffet. They do have good food and a good Thai band playing most of the time though.

NOT the one I'm referring to (although that may be OK too).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silomjoy ??

I've been quite often in this part of Chiang Mai, but I've never seen a place called Silomjoy.

Well, the English signage says Sailomjoy if that helps. It's right across the road from the Montri, in between Black Canyon Coffee and a post office concession that ships seemingly huge numbers of parcels of souvinirs back home for tourists. I've been eating there for years and can assure you that it's really there. Friendly staff and good food at great prices. It's tiny so don't go looking for a big fancy place.

The Sailomjoy across from the Montri is indeed a great bargain for Western food or Thai. The Western menu is very limited, but supricingly good!

The Holiday Inn ... and is very kid friendly.

All the reason to stay away. There is nothing that annoys me more than shrill voiced, ill behaved children .

nothing annoys me more than some people who fail to remember that they were once a kid.

All the reason to stay away. There is nothing that annoys me more than shrill voiced, ill behaved children .

nothing annoys me more than some people who fail to remember that they were once a kid.

I can appreciate both points of view. No one like to eat in the monkey house, but many of us do have childred that we like to take out to eat. I think it's the parenets responsibility to teach the kids how to behave in public. (Obviously we aren't talking about cranky infants. The parents have no right to inflict that on others who are trying to eat. Many was the time either my wife or I had to take the baby outside until the noise levels dropped and we could return to the table.)

Obviously in a place like Mc D's you can't expect kids to sit quietly. That's not what McD's is for and if you go in there, be prepard for noise. But if you go to the buffet at the Amari or the Empress, I believe you have the right to some peace and quiet while eating.

There are places where noisy children have the right to be noisy, and there are places were adults have the right to peace and quiet. I don't think we should confuse to two.

The Fly Fisherman

I agree with Physher. Kids are great, but until my son was about 4 or 5, and we as parents had instilled the minimum amount of decorum in him, we limited ourselves on nights out to hall-style pizza parlours and the like (in the US).

Sometimes as doting parents, we are so full of love for our progeny that we forget that a quite sizeable percentage of the population does not want to be seated next to a wiggle-worm toddler.

The cool thing about Thailand is that Thais love small children, and pretty much tolerate them anywhere, anytime.

The same can't be said for farang who live here.... :o

I would say the buffet at the Holiday Inn/Sheraton/Westin is probably not a proper milieu for a small child. A friend of mine was there a few months ago, his kid was tearing about the dining room like a whirling dervish on yaa-baa, and ran headfirst into the large plate glass windows overlooking the river....blood and screams, etc. Not cool. Go for a nice outdoor Thai restaurant, or a moo kata place is my suggestion...

I'll second the rec for Sailomjoy (just inside Tha Pae Gate. It's unusual to find a place that caters to both Thais and farang that does both well.

A couple of friends mentioned the Grandview buffet before I read this thread so I tried it last week. Yes, it's only 120 baht and it is a lot of food but all of it was quite ordinary. Most of the Thai food was Ok, but the western food wasn't worth much. My pet peeve are buffets that keep bringing out cold food that should be hot. Every time they refilled the dish of fried chicken and fried pork it was still cold as it had been cooked much earlier in the morning. The Thai version of a Crepe Suzette wasn't worth eating

The Amari buffet is 3 times the price but well worth it compared to the Grandview. The Thai food is excellent and the western food uses expensive imported ingredients. Best of all the western desserts are superb.

I'll second the rec for Sailomjoy (just inside Tha Pae Gate. It's unusual to find a place that caters to both Thais and farang that does both well.

My pet peeve are buffets that keep bringing out cold food that should be hot. Every time they refilled the dish of fried chicken and fried pork it was still cold as it had been cooked much earlier in the morning. The Thai version of a Crepe Suzette wasn't worth eating

I've never had a problem with cold food there but I do try to go early so the roast potatos are crisp! Agree about the Crepe Suzette but the Creme Caramel slips down very nicely!

I can appreciate both points of view. No one like to eat in the monkey house, but many of us do have childred that we like to take out to eat. I think it's the parenets responsibility to teach the kids how to behave in public. (Obviously we aren't talking about cranky infants. The parents have no right to inflict that on others who are trying to eat. Many was the time either my wife or I had to take the baby outside until the noise levels dropped and we could return to the table.)

Obviously in a place like Mc D's you can't expect kids to sit quietly. That's not what McD's is for and if you go in there, be prepard for noise. But if you go to the buffet at the Amari or the Empress, I believe you have the right to some peace and quiet while eating.

There are places where noisy children have the right to be noisy, and there are places were adults have the right to peace and quiet. I don't think we should confuse to two.

The Fly Fisherman

when i made that comment, there was no relation to whether a place is kid friendly or not. just sensed a whole lot of hatred for kids from the poster. neither am i dumb enough not to understand where parents should take their kids to or where not to. kids don't know much, how can you call them ill behaved?

mcspicy, thanks for pointing out how tolerant thais and generally asians are to children, beauty of asia. Rather not be anywhere else.

TB

. . . and breathe - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - phew!

So . . . back to the matter in hand (almost). On the strength of your post, UG, I popped into The Art Cafe for Eggs Benedict this morning - delicious, thank you.

I'm off to Chiang Mai Ram now to have my arteries scrubbed.

JxP

• 2 months later...

I tried the lunch buffet at the Lian Lian ("fusion") restauraunt in the Maninarakorn Hotel level 2 near the Suriwong Book Center on Sri Don Chai Road

All you can eat of a good number of pretty good Asian dishes, a few western dishes, Dim Sum, free coffee, tea and fruit juices with Thai deserts and 4 kinds of ice cream and toppings.

125 baht. Good for the price! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I tried the lunch buffet at the Lian Lian ("fusion") restauraunt in the Maninarakorn Hotel level 2 near the Suriwong Book Center on Sri Don Chai Road

All you can eat of a good number of pretty good Asian dishes, a few western dishes, Dim Sum, free coffee, tea and fruit juices with Thai deserts and 4 kinds of ice cream and toppings.

Ahh I went there but they had said the promotional price of 125 baht was ending after the new year. thanks for the tip!!

Edited by swain

Ahh I went there but they had said the promotional price of 125 baht was ending after the new year. thanks for the tip!!

They gave me a flyer where someone had scrawled in the ending of the promotion. It was not very legible, but I'm pretty sure that it said not till April. :D

secret among the rich and famous here in chiang mai is that the ShangRila Hotel has a 299THB buffet every night. Careful, the rich and famous might give you a funny look if you do not dress appropriately. They might say something like "what the hel_l are you doing here, shame on you".

buffet includes japanese, italian and thai cuisine with absolutely delicious desserts. (seriously wonderful desserts).

shhhh...... don't tell anyone.. especially UG. :o

hi, my wifes birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her to a REALLY nice buffet in changmai, but don't know where they are. I'm not looking for cheap deals. I'm looking for high quality, even if it costs 1000 baht. if anyone can reccomend some places and how much they cost you'd be helping me out.

thanx

hi, my wifes birthday is coming up and I'd like to take her to a REALLY nice buffet in changmai, but don't know where they are. I'm not looking for cheap deals. I'm looking for high quality, even if it costs 1000 baht. if anyone can reccomend some places and how much they cost you'd be helping me out.

thanx

Sofitel's 899 buffet. supposed to be good.

thanx

Four Seasons maybe?

A buddy of mine who owns the Art Cafe, tried the Shangrila buffet and was not impressed. He thinks that the Duangtawan is much better and cheaper as well.

The best buffet in town used to be the Holiday Inn for many years for around 4-500 baht. It still might be from what I have heard. :o

Chiang Mai Grandview Hotel seems to be the hands down winner for a inexpensive buffet. But for breakfast and I mean a breakfast buffet, which is the best bang for the buck. And all you out there that want to spend 500 on up for breakfast need not post. Buffet is the key word in this question!!!

A buddy of mine who owns the Art Cafe, tried the Shangrila buffet and was not impressed. He thinks that the Duangtawan is much better and cheaper as well.

The best buffet in town used to be the Holiday Inn for many years for around 4-500 baht. It still might be from what I have heard. :o

Yep Holiday Inn is exceptional especially on Sundays when on top of everything else they have 7 different roasts.

Not tried the Shang or Sofitel yet.

WHAHHAHA

best buffet in town would be .

at CHANG PUEK GAte -- or . the market place at Tanin market -

for . 200 baht

you can taste 10 exotic thai style dishes . -

whahahahahhahahaha

if that can't fill you .. add 5 baht to each dishes just say " PI-SET"

down sit no AIR CON