Buffets

WaiWai

I think we have had this topic before, but restaurant information gets out of date rather rapidly here.

So, any recommendations for a good Thai buffet place in the city area ?

Or non-Thai, even ?

Need to exercise caution with buffet food, esp. in hot weather, but they are good places to sample foods you'd not otherwise know about.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that the reason d'etre for buffets is usually 'price' and perhaps 'variety', so it will never be as good as the best made-to-order places.

That said, a Western buffet is on Chang Klan Road, South of the Night Bazar, past the traffic lights and then on the right before you get to Chiang Mai land. It's part of/next to a big pork-BBQ place with a very blue roof/façade. It's called Sizzad. Sign used to look EXACTLY like Sizzler's until the Sizzler company came whining at the door. It's medium quality... good place if you want to eat a lot of meat for fairly little money. Here's a link that describes the place: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=107892 (price is now 79 baht I believe)

Other buffets:

HUGE cheapo Thai one: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=72061

Vietnamese: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=158935

Vegetarian: http://chanchao.fotopages.com/?entry=74916

And then there's hotel buffets of course.. Some are reasonably good value I suppose. And the 'backpacker steak buffet' at the Reggae bar area in the soi next to the Irish Pub. Bring pants with deep pockets, everyone else seems to. :o

Others, not sure if still in operation: Khrua Sawasdee on the Northern Superhighway Ring, West of the intersection with Chotana (Mae Rim) road. (Khuang Singh intersection). Also one I haven't visited in years, but interesting: Ban Khanom Jeen For sure still in operation: The Sunday Pig-out at Queen Victoria. :D

Edited by chanchao

• 8 months later...
Hey all

Can anyone reccomend any buffets in Chiang Mai, especially breakfest ones?

peace!

I can't recommend any buffets but I can recommend three breakfasts - Mad Dog, Laughing Leprechaun and Bake & Bite.

Browse the Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai pinned thread and I guess you will find more info. I've been meaning for some time to check out the hotel buffet breakfasts but it hasn't happened yet! If you are going to test them out then I would probably start at the Holiday Inn and Empress hotels.

JxP

I can't recommend any buffets but I can recommend three breakfasts - Mad Dog, Laughing Leprechaun and Bake & Bite.

I agree and add Art Cafe and Sojos.

In my opinion, cheap breakfast buffets tend to not be very good. Breakfast at the resteraunts above is REALLY good and cheap enough to combine a bunch of items.

Edited by Ulysses G.

these buffets are never really that good IMO...ok it seems great value for money but try any of the above and you will be full without spending much more money, if any more , than a buffet that aint that great.

Also try the half moon for full English - one of the best in town

YES! I can!

There is a really good buffet on Sundays at the Amari Rincome hotel, starts at 11am I believe. Not the cheapest, about 500B per person, but well worth it. During the week they have the lunch buffet at 12noon. For 375B per person. Going to be heading that way today. Enjoy!

YES! I can!

There is a really good buffet on Sundays at the Amari Rincome hotel, starts at 11am I believe. Not the cheapest, about 500B per person, but well worth it. During the week they have the lunch buffet at 12noon. For 375B per person. Going to be heading that way today. Enjoy!

Actually the Amari buffet is available every day. If you are resident you can get a discount card (1 for 2).

YES! I can!

Actually the Amari buffet is available every day. If you are resident you can get a discount card (1 for 2).

Resident at the hotel or in Chiang Mai?

JxP

I liked the BIG breakfast at the Hungry Horse - now closed/relocated to the old True Blue - good value.

Club Kafe is good

Laughing Leprachaun - very good

The trail boss breakfast at Chiang Mai salloon is great for a brunch (elevenses or second breakfast?)

The two sisters on Loi Kroh where the old hungry horse was has apparently taken on the same/similar menu - not tried there yet but it is supposed to be good.

The Bake & Bite - or as I call it the Shake & Bake is very good.

The Queen Vic is the same as the Hungry Horse but for some reason (chef related) seems to be different - is good

Art Cafe does a great breakfast and is probably my favourite

CB

I can get VERY good Eggs Benedict with a pile of hash browns, 3 big buttermilk pancakes, orange juice and Cafe Latte at the Art Cafe for less than 300 baht. That is all that I need! :D

The last time Ulysses ordered Eggs Benedict, the waiter served it to him on a chrome platter. When Ulysses asked why such a fancy plate, the waiter replied "there's no plates like chrome for the Hollandaise..." :o

(Sorry... the debil made me do it...)

It's not a buffet, but I think one of the best breakfasts, possibly the BEST, in Chiang Mai can be found at the 'Spirit House', run by a New Orleans trained chef, named Steve.

A typical breakfast 'SPECIAL':

- An American style omelette; i.e. LARGE. Yesterday I had a 'cream cheese and lox' omelette.

- a couple pieces of bacon

- toast

- A good size plate of fresh friut. I like mango, so I ask for, and get, a 'good size plate of fresh mango'.

- A glass of juice.

- A LARGE POT of coffee.

----------------

NOTES:

1. The menu sucks, so you need to either ask for the 'SPECIAL', or, "Can you make me (-----)?"

2. There's a 10% discount for guests at the Viangbua Mansion. Since I live at the Viangbua, for the above listed breakfast, I paid 100 baht.

3. If you like Thai antiques, or Western Classical Music, you will love the Spirit House.

4. Dinner works the same way as Breakfast, ask Steve what he has for the 'SPECIAL'.

-----------------

LOCATION: Chang Phuek - Viangbua St - between the Viangbua Mansion and the Lotus Hotel

-----------------

FINAL THOUGHT: Tell Steve, 'Jon sent you'. I mean hel_l, if that happens enough, maybe (??) I can get ANOTHER 10% discount.

naw, probably not

YES! I can!

Just found that out a few days ago. A friend we were with at the time got one, and the four of us all had the buffet for the price of 3. And yes, if 2 people eats, than one eats for free, good deal! For a buffet of that quality for 190 Baht, not bad. But during the week, no eggs benidict. :o The sunday spread seems more abundant, but also more money.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the daily buffet at the Chiang Mai Grandview Hotel (200m from the Amari on the Superhighway) there's a good selection and it's great value at 120 bht per person. It starts at 11.30 so almost qualifies for a brunch - for best results get there before 12.30. Not a buffet, but the best value English breakfast that I know of is at Silomjoy, an always busy cafe catering to tourists and Thais next to Black Canyon Coffee at Thapae Gate - scrambled eggs, a couple of slices of toast with butter and marmalade, fresh orange juice and coffee for 50 bht. Oh yes, and they understand that toast isn't just a slice of warm bread...

Just found that out a few days ago. A friend we were with at the time got one, and the four of us all had the buffet for the price of 3. And yes, if 2 people eats, than one eats for free, good deal! For a buffet of that quality for 190 Baht, not bad. But during the week, no eggs benidict. :o The sunday spread seems more abundant, but also more money.

So why didn't you pay for two, 2 for 1 equals 4 for 2, right?

Yeah....no. The discount depends on how many people are eating, or something like that. Its not my card, as you have to pay 5K baht for the thing. Although, if you and someone else went only once a month, you would recoup the cost in a year. Guess it depends on how often one goes there.

Yeah....no. The discount depends on how many people are eating, or something like that. Its not my card, as you have to pay 5K baht for the thing. Although, if you and someone else went only once a month, you would recoup the cost in a year. Guess it depends on how often one goes there.

thanks for the info!

It's not a buffet, but I think one of the best breakfasts, possibly the BEST, in Chiang Mai can be found at the 'Spirit House', run by a New Orleans trained chef, named Steve.

A typical breakfast 'SPECIAL':

- An American style omelette; i.e. LARGE. Yesterday I had a 'cream cheese and lox' omelette.

- a couple pieces of bacon

- toast

- A good size plate of fresh friut. I like mango, so I ask for, and get, a 'good size plate of fresh mango'.

- A glass of juice.

- A LARGE POT of coffee.

----------------

NOTES:

1. The menu sucks, so you need to either ask for the 'SPECIAL', or, "Can you make me (-----)?"

2. There's a 10% discount for guests at the Viangbua Mansion. Since I live at the Viangbua, for the above listed breakfast, I paid 100 baht.

3. If you like Thai antiques, or Western Classical Music, you will love the Spirit House.

4. Dinner works the same way as Breakfast, ask Steve what he has for the 'SPECIAL'.

-----------------

LOCATION: Chang Phuek - Viangbua St - between the Viangbua Mansion and the Lotus Hotel

-----------------

FINAL THOUGHT: Tell Steve, 'Jon sent you'. I mean hel_l, if that happens enough, maybe (??) I can get ANOTHER 10% discount.

naw, probably not

I'm at risk of forking off this thread in 2 different directions here, so: Mod Alert!!

Steve is a charming and fascinating guy who has created something really different with Spirit House. Apart from the smart new residential place across the road, however, it is in a LOUSY area, but at least you can park.

After people started bringing in their own anti-mosquito devices he began providing the necessary lotion free. Use it!

Agree re the menu - plus he succeeds in hiding his 2 biggest assets. He is a talented professional musician (increasing live western classical 'rehearsals' on the little stage) and pastry chef.

But his staff training does leave something to be desired. Last time my companion ordered a plate of French fries and after 15 mins they didn't appear. He asked again (Steve this time) and they appeared within 30 seconds. And were stone cold. They had obviously sat neglected in the kitchen for the 20 previous minutes. But my friend (who was paying) didn't object or even mention it.

Once a year or so I suffer from something going wrong when I am the guest and feel it out of place to make a complaint. How do you others handle such a situation? Really, I'm curious.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the daily buffet at the Chiang Mai Grandview Hotel (200m from the Amari on the Superhighway) there's a good selection and it's great value at 120 bht per person. It starts at 11.30 so almost qualifies for a brunch - for best results get there before 12.30. Not a buffet, but the best value English breakfast that I know of is at Silomjoy, an always busy cafe catering to tourists and Thais next to Black Canyon Coffee at Thapae Gate - scrambled eggs, a couple of slices of toast with butter and marmalade, fresh orange juice and coffee for 50 bht. Oh yes, and they understand that toast isn't just a slice of warm bread...

We ate at the buffet at the Grandview last Wednesday, and I have to say that for the money it is a very nice spread. There was a good variety of foods; Western, Thai, Japanese, etc., and even Crepe Suzette freshly made for those who's waist line can afford it. Being not one of those, I stuck with the puff pastry, caramel custard, cheese cakes, and chocolate mousse. The Japanese sushi was fresh although variety was limited, but there were plenty of it as well as plenty of dishes to try from other countries, all for 120 baht per person. :D

The day before I happened to be in Bangkok at the Radisson Hotel in time for their breakfast buffet. Frankly, I found nothing to write home about. Just your standard breakfast foods; i.e. bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, some assorted cold cuts and limited breads and cheeses, as well as Asian style foods..... for a paltry 550 baht per person. I guess rich folk don't mind if their food is on the cool side as nothing I ate was particularly warm. :o

I'm glad I live in Chiang Mai.

I have eaten at most of the venues listed, but my vote would have to be on the GRANDVIEW HOTEL buffet on the superhighway. They have Thai and European Food as described in the prior post. The quality is very consistent and much better than the Empress in my opinion. Nice to get great and hot food at 120 baht a person.

Edited by T_Dog

Silomjoy ??

I've been quite often in this part of Chiang Mai, but I've never seen a place called Silomjoy.

Silomjoy is on Changklan Road, a couple of km past the night bizarre and across from Samo. The sign is in Thai, and the open air resto opens in the evening only.

In relation to this topic...I don't think Silomjoy offers buffet. They do have good food and a good Thai band playing most of the time though.

Silomjoy ??

I've been quite often in this part of Chiang Mai, but I've never seen a place called Silomjoy.

Well, the English signage says Sailomjoy if that helps. It's right across the road from the Montri, in between Black Canyon Coffee and a post office concession that ships seemingly huge numbers of parcels of souvinirs back home for tourists. I've been eating there for years and can assure you that it's really there. Friendly staff and good food at great prices. It's tiny so don't go looking for a big fancy place.

Incidentally, Sunnee's should come with a health warning about parking. OK, I know it was stupid taking the car into town at all but it was so impossible to park anywhere near that I gave up until I'm that way on a bike.

Edited by Greenside