Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

webfact

This is an old law whereby hotels, guesthouses, condos, etc. are required to submit an immigration report of inhouse guests on a daily basis to the nearest police station, or risk being fined.  Visitors DON'T need report themselves in.

Someone mention that they don't know of any other country that does this, actually many do, and those that don't should do.  It's not about controlling movements of tourists, visitors, etc. but it is about knowing the whereabouts of potential criminals, like in the case of the of the 2015 Bangkok bombing. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, phuketrichard said:

ahhhhh< so

if one travels with his thai wife/GF an she checks into hotel does the farang also need register???

If you want to cover your behind, then I would say yes. You're the one who will be caught out. Most Thais can wiggle out of many instances by claiming ignorance--foreigners, not so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mosan said:

Preferably to immigrations. My wife tried to do this at a police station and they did not care.   

Thanks, i'll tell her to take a day off and go there but it's far away.

And in the hotels they even won't touch my passport when i hold it in front of their face.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thanks, i'll tell her to take a day off and go there but it's far away.

And in the hotels they even won't touch my passport when i hold it in front of their face.

In thirty years all hotels have registered me before giving me the key. The exception being short time hotels and some up country resorts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

We briefly supported this in parts of my country , it was called East Germany back then. 

I'll never forget the time of stasi and spying. 

I will oppose this whereever i am. 

<deleted> privacy invasion, <deleted> china and <deleted> all communists spying on civilians. 

I have no problems with it but i give them the address twice already....so in thailand 4.0 they can't build an automated system for this?

And from now on we can't travel around in thailand anymore because the hotels won't do it....oh well Asia is much bigger and better for travelling together.

• Sad 1

You do need to report/check in with your local Imm Office if you leave the country and come back after eg..a holiday " abroad ".
Chaiysphum Imm Office have notice up to that effect.

What about those on retirement extensions living with their wives who have been told there is no need to report on TM30 each time they leave the province/country as long as their home address remains the same?  Do we report or don't we? I shall continue to do so, it's a pain for me and for them but I don't fancy a 10000 baht fine just for doing what they have told me is ok.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

In thirty years all hotels have registered me before giving me the key. The exception being short time hotels and some up country resorts.

A while ago we were in a 5* hotel in Pattaya and they refused to see my passport at the reception, next time i'll force them to register me.

Just now, trigpoint said:

What's a tm30? Been here 10years and never been told I need to file a form so I never have,  don't tell you when you enter the country do they,  thought the tm6 had your address, therefore the immigration police already has it. I also hear not all provinces require it anyway. 

I just learned that it's only for the landlord who has to report any foreigner staying in their house/condo/hotel/guesthouse.....not the renter (even without paying).