Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

webfact

This is an old law whereby hotels, guesthouses, condos, etc. are required to submit an immigration report of inhouse guests on a daily basis to the nearest police station, or risk being fined.  Visitors DON'T need report themselves in.

Someone mention that they don't know of any other country that does this, actually many do, and those that don't should do.  It's not about controlling movements of tourists, visitors, etc. but it is about knowing the whereabouts of potential criminals, like in the case of the of the 2015 Bangkok bombing. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, neeray said:

Ignorance is bliss (or it used to be).

Some 5 years ago on my first trip to Thailand and in the company of the gf of the time, we travelled around the south for a month. Sometimes we stayed in hotels, sometimes we stayed overnight at various family homes (numerous). In the latter case, never did anybody report. Why? Because nobody knew they had to. And to this day, I'm sure most Thais would still not know this.

We also travel around in thailand, to friends condo's in Hua Hin or Chian mai....and in hotels where they only ask for my wife's passport not mine.....

So this is Thailand 4.0? They can easy track us by the cellphone numbers or email....and we have never ever done anything wrong!

There reporting system for Thai citizens is so ridiculous and outdated that they have no idea who is living where - a stupid blue book that doesn’ have anything to do with people actually living there - at least half of Bangkok’s residents are registered elsewhere in the country.

How about stiffer penalties for corrupt police first ?

Oh I see the new penalties are just part of a new corrupt money making scheme ! Sorry my mistake!

Five years in jail for somebody who did not report a foreign resident? Are they nuts?

What about the HISO Thai landlords who don’t report foreigners staying - will they go to prison ? Ah didn’t think so!

He wanted to bring Thailand In line with other countries regulations - which countries ? - Nazi Germany or North Korea?

You want to follow other countries - here is how it is done:

In my country you have to visit a police station and register your private address if you stay longer than 2 weeks away from your permanent residence - your address will be changed in the computer system as a permanent new address or second residence - which is connected the other data bases relevant to your government profile (social security, health care e.g.) and automatically updated with your new permanent or secondary address.

You receive a printout of your updated place of residence as proof stamped by police - it all takes about 10 minutes.

Every village, town and city where you are registered will receive a certain amount per resident from the governments budget - this assures that towns and cities come up with ideas to attract residents and create job opportunities making their places attractive for new residents!

Of course I am just told now by my Thai better half - that this would not work in Thailand because in no time you would have millions of “Ghost residents” to collect the budget because of corruption - ok I GIVE UP!!

However what is proposed here is just another repressive Police State suggestion a la China!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Yes it's her house, so my wife has to go to the immigration to report it or to the policestation?

Preferably to immigrations. My wife tried to do this at a police station and they did not care.   

47 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

49 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problem with this as long as they only fine the owners/operators of the properties, and not the hapless tourist who probably doesnt even know that someone was supposed to register him.

How do they fine the condo owner who is in Moscow?

Just now, phuketrichard said:

ahhhhh< so

if one travels with his thai wife/GF an she checks into hotel does the farang also need register???

If you want to cover your behind, then I would say yes. You're the one who will be caught out. Most Thais can wiggle out of many instances by claiming ignorance--foreigners, not so much.

1 minute ago, mosan said:

Preferably to immigrations. My wife tried to do this at a police station and they did not care.   

Thanks, i'll tell her to take a day off and go there but it's far away.

And in the hotels they even won't touch my passport when i hold it in front of their face.

2 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thanks, i'll tell her to take a day off and go there but it's far away.

And in the hotels they even won't touch my passport when i hold it in front of their face.

In thirty years all hotels have registered me before giving me the key. The exception being short time hotels and some up country resorts.

11 minutes ago, PeterPan63 said:

This is an old law whereby hotels, guesthouses, condos, etc. are required to submit an immigration report of inhouse guests on a daily basis to the nearest police station, or risk being fined.  Visitors DON'T need report themselves in.

Someone mention that they don't know of any other country that does this, actually many do, and those that don't should do.  It's not about controlling movements of tourists, visitors, etc. but it is about knowing the whereabouts of potential criminals, like in the case of the of the 2015 Bangkok bombing. 

We briefly supported this in parts of my country , it was called East Germany back then. 

I'll never forget the time of stasi and spying. 

I will oppose this whereever i am. 

<deleted> privacy invasion, <deleted> china and <deleted> all communists spying on civilians. 

Just now, sunnyboy2018 said:

In thirty years all hotels have registered me before giving me the key. The exception being short time hotels and some up country resorts.

The hotelstaff is very happy to speak to my wife and only register her passport...they hate to speak english.

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

We briefly supported this in parts of my country , it was called East Germany back then. 

I'll never forget the time of stasi and spying. 

I will oppose this whereever i am. 

<deleted> privacy invasion, <deleted> china and <deleted> all communists spying on civilians. 

I have no problems with it but i give them the address twice already....so in thailand 4.0 they can't build an automated system for this?

And from now on we can't travel around in thailand anymore because the hotels won't do it....oh well Asia is much bigger and better for travelling together.

You do need to report/check in with your local Imm Office if you leave the country and come back after eg..a holiday " abroad ".
Chaiysphum Imm Office have notice up to that effect.

What about those on retirement extensions living with their wives who have been told there is no need to report on TM30 each time they leave the province/country as long as their home address remains the same?  Do we report or don't we? I shall continue to do so, it's a pain for me and for them but I don't fancy a 10000 baht fine just for doing what they have told me is ok.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What about those on retirement extensions living with their wives who have been told there is no need to report on TM30 each time they leave the province/country as long as their home address remains the same?  Do we report or don't we? I shall continue to do so, it's a pain for me and for them but I don't fancy a 10000 baht fine just for doing what they have told me is ok.

Here we go again - different interpretation of the same laws - we have been told you only need an update when re-entering the country and it worked fine so far.

Of course the new proposal gives lot’s of possibilities to corrupt officials- first to give you the wrong information and then to interpret the law as they wish and offer you to rather hand over 10.000 Baht under the table as opposed to a 100.000 Baht fine if they wish to do so - great new money earner!

Of all the foreigners I know not one has told me that their landlord who is often living far away but who’s responsibility it is to register you - had been fined! In every single case the foreigners have payed the fine for the landlord just to receive the TM 30 at immigration because you need it for a visa extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

A while ago we were in a 5* hotel in Pattaya and they refused to see my passport at the reception, next time i'll force them to register me.

What's a tm30? Been here 10years and never been told I need to file a form so I never have,  don't tell you when you enter the country do they,  thought the tm6 had your address, therefore the immigration police already has it. I also hear not all provinces require it anyway. 

Just now, trigpoint said:

What's a tm30? Been here 10years and never been told I need to file a form so I never have,  don't tell you when you enter the country do they,  thought the tm6 had your address, therefore the immigration police already has it. I also hear not all provinces require it anyway. 

I just learned that it's only for the landlord who has to report any foreigner staying in their house/condo/hotel/guesthouse.....not the renter (even without paying).

1. The easiest thing to do is to apply online.  The property owner will apply for a username and password that will allow them to login easily and register any guests or tenants that are staying on the property.  The biggest drawback is that the online system is still very temperamental and it’s often the case that once applied they will not receive their login credentials. If you’re using the online system, it’s important that you receive a confirmation of the registration. (Online Site is down – Currently there is no answer as to when it will be back up and running)

So the online reporting system is not even working properly?? What a big Joke !

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

Does this go for hospitals and emergency rooms, too? Must you be registered with the police before they stop the bleeding or after?

And what about overnight train trips where I sleep in a bunk. I wonder if the train crew will report me! 555, what a great way to discourage travel within the country. Way to go immigration. TAT will just love it (sarcasm).

Good reason not to invest in a condo or home for rental purposes. If many do the same, watch as the Real Estate market drops out of sight.

I will wait until the government forces Immigration to become part of the real world, then scoop up the bargains.

By the way is Thai Immigration part of the Thai Government??????

Seems they operate independently and do whatever they like no matter how damaging it is to Thailand.

5 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Exactly.

hundreds of naff laws for all of society being pushed through, especially the next 60 days by these cheating nationalists. We  will probably have one positive solution and 7 negative thrown our way, with these proposals 

Archived