What Social Effects Will Farang-thai Relationships Have On Thai Society?

SeanBangkok

I do not know the percentages of how many farangs end up living in Issaan with their wifes, how many return to their homelands, and how many live in other provinces in Thailand, however, it seems that the mass marriages of thai ladies to farang gents should have a strong effect on the Issan region in particular since many farang perfer women from that region.

Will these areas of Thailand become wealthier? Will they suffer from depopulation? Will they become stocked with leuk kruengs? Will the men from these regions react violently to farang in the future if there is a shortage on thai women (assuming there will be a shortage of thai women). Will the school and universities in these regions improve to meet the farang demand?

I do not know the percentages of how many farangs end up living in Issaan with their wifes, how many return to their homelands, and how many live in other provinces in Thailand, however, it seems that the mass marriages of thai ladies to farang gents should have a strong effect on the Issan region in particular since many farang perfer women from that region.

Will these areas of Thailand become wealthier? Will they suffer from depopulation? Will they become stocked with leuk kruengs? Will the men from these regions react violently to farang in the future if there is a shortage on thai women (assuming there will be a shortage of thai women). Will the school and universities in these regions improve to meet the farang demand?

SB, you think too mutt! But seriously, I think the pros will far outweigh the cons. Many of these women were abandoned with their children by some feckless man and made the sensible choice by accepting a marrriage offer from a farang. They have a chance to better not just one life but maybe several if they have children and other dependent relatives. It's a far better fate than perhaps being forced by circumstances into hustling. And don't believe the bad press about 99% of T/F marriages failing, it's pure BS. I know lots of Germans with Thai wives and they're happily married. And that's just Germany. As for a future shortage of women, don't worry about the farangs taking them all, but rather watch out for the Chinese. There are millions of men there with no chance of finding a Chinese wife, they might soon be in the neighbourhood wife hunting so if you haven't already found yourself a TG, it's time to get moving!

SB, you think too mutt! But seriously, I think the pros will far outweigh the cons. Many of these women were abandoned with their children by some feckless man and made the sensible choice by accepting a marrriage offer from a farang. They have a chance to better not just one life but maybe several if they have children and other dependent relatives. It's a far better fate than perhaps being forced by circumstances into hustling. And don't believe the bad press about 99% of T/F marriages failing, it's pure BS. I know lots of Germans with Thai wives and they're happily married. And that's just Germany. As for a future shortage of women, don't worry about the farangs taking them all, but rather watch out for the Chinese. There are millions of men there with no chance of finding a Chinese wife, they might soon be in the neighbourhood wife hunting so if you haven't already found yourself a TG, it's time to get moving!

The only negative impact I can think of is the the appearance of phrases like Eeh ba gum or How Doo?? in thai language and of course the wearing of flat caps and the keeping of whippets and luk kreungs imitating freddy truman on the village green :D:o Nignoy

fear of a mixed planet

Quote:The only negative impact I can think of is the the appearance of phrases like Eeh ba gum or How Doo?? in thai language and of course the wearing of flat caps and the keeping of whippets and luk kreungs imitating freddy truman on the village green biggrin.gif jap.gif Nignoy

'ey up lad, wot's up with cloth caps? And my dog's a Jack Russell. Far as I'm concerned, there's not enough bloody chip shops ower thier! And they've never 'eard of shandy or black puddin'. Bloody foreigners got no consideration. Have a good one Nignoy.

Quote:The only negative impact I can think of is the the appearance of phrases like Eeh ba gum or How Doo?? in thai language and of course the wearing of flat caps and the keeping of whippets and luk kreungs imitating freddy truman on the village green biggrin.gif jap.gif Nignoy

'ey up lad, wot's up with cloth caps? And my dog's a Jack Russell. Far as I'm concerned, there's not enough bloody chip shops ower thier! And they've never 'eard of shandy or black puddin'. Bloody foreigners got no consideration. Have a good one Nignoy.

Cheeky bugger. Ah's a bloody good mind t' gi ye a clip round 't ear for that.

Effects on Thai society? Zilch probably, luk kreungs are very much in demand in the media, and have been for a long time. Nature always takes care of its own, and there seems to be a lot of in-breeding going on in Isaan anyway. An injection of new genes is probably a good thing. :o

Trouble a' t'mill aud lad, indeed. I've thought along these lines for a while.

It is really pissing off a lot of rich people to see poor folk turing up in new cars and buying houses with boyfriends money. More and more see this as the way forward, whatever the moralists think about it. Most, in my experience are looking for a husband and support rather than going in for full on prostitution.

The whiter the better still in Thailand. Seen the new add for Magic White yet? Full of leauk kreung and the whitest sickliest thai women ever seen. Lot of it done with the contrast button by the look of it. Don't think most of em have had so much as a December afternoon in the Yorkshire sunshine.

Give me a big dark strong un anyday, one that can bowl like Freddy and play Rugby League.

My missus has all her familly religously watching Dalziel and Pascoe, explaining all the Aye ups, bloody ells, ang on's and daft bugger's to them as they look on awestruck at this ancient perfectly formed dialect.

Cheeky bugger. Ah's a bloody good mind t' gi ye a clip round 't ear for that.

Effects on Thai society? Zilch probably, luk kreungs are very much in demand in the media, and have been for a long time. Nature always takes care of its own, and there seems to be a lot of in-breeding going on in Isaan anyway. An injection of new genes is probably a good thing. :o

Hear hear kmart. Pencil me as a volunteer for this dream job! Seriously, the kind of immigrant we're discussing might not please the rabid nationalists but apart from that I can see only only good coming out of interracial marriage there because the majority of farangs are setting Thai men a good example in responsible parenting.

i think that "our" luek krueng will one day migrate to our home country when they realise that they are not really accepted in the local society from the notion that they are always thought of sons of some bitches from isaan prosti. although most of the leuk kreung are the fruits of happy marriages, pea brain locals will think otherwise and will descriminate them. have you ever thought of this???

i think i'm just thinking negatively here but it's also a possibility. just look at isaan there is nothing there... so how can you expect your luek kreung to stay there and not migrate to say england, autralia, etc.?

You guys dont think the mass exodus of thai women marrying old farang will have an effect on thai men in that region? what are those guys supposed to do? marry a cow?

it seems like the culture in that reason could really be screwed up in 20-25 years if farang continue to come to thailand in exponential numbers.

while i understand that most of these girls are just scamming farang and not going to stay married to them long term, i still think it will have some effect.

also, if there are more leuk krungs in isaan, its possible that we might see an influx of leuk krungs in the various nightlife venues in the immediate future.

also, china has a sever lack of women and chances are alot of chinese men will come to thailand to purchase a wife the way farang are doing it now -- all of this spells BAD NEWS for local thai men. How will they react?

i think that "our" luek krueng will one day migrate to our home country when they realise that they are not really accepted in the local society from the notion that they are always thought of sons of some bitches from isaan prosti. although most of the leuk kreung are the fruits of happy marriages, pea brain locals will think otherwise and will descriminate them. have you ever thought of this???

i think i'm just thinking negatively here but it's also a possibility. just look at isaan there is nothing there... so how can you expect your luek kreung to stay there and not migrate to say england, autralia, etc.?

A question that maybe only the luek kreung can answer. Is it better to be raised with love and care as a LK or abandoned and unloved as a full blood? And don't forget the many Thai kids who are adopted and raised by farangs. I see many and they have it good. BTW, re. the other side of the question, they don't seem to fare too bady if they emigrate either.

P.S. To SB: The Thai men don't marry cows, many (not all) get the cream of the local girls, treat them worse than cows and dump them when they have no further use for them. Many of these same desperate but basically good women are the future source of wives for farangs and I say good on 'em because the Thai men don't want them.

Edited by qwertz

I think that farang-thai children will obviously be better off then if they were raised by a thai father who was a rice farmer, but at some point, you have to question whether thai culture is in jepodary. i saw a news article that said isaan kids love fast food and dont want to eat thai food, and the isaan dream is to marry a farang. also, for every middle aged farang who takes his little thai girl home, and his blokes see that their boy has got something a fourth of his size and a third of his age - what is gonna happen? they are coming to thailand for a piece of the action.

at some point, does the thai government stop the exportation of its women - or is it inevitable?

I hope that my presence may have some long term affect, at least locally.

Contributions made by my wife and I to the local grammar school, and the local temple hopefully will have some positive impact on the community.

In that respect, Education in general would improve in villages with a large number of community minded farang present.

Edited by pumpuiman

Don't believe every sweeping statement you read, SB, it sells copy but it's not necessarily true. The press doesn't have mods who check if the input is PC. Folks on this forum have a much clearer view of what's really going on over there.

"In that respect, Education in general would improve in villages with a large number of community minded farang present. "

this is true. i thik its important for the health of thai society if farang come to live in the region of their life, and help things like you are doing, sir. you are a gentlemen.

there is something disturbing though about a bloke coming to thailand, buying a wife and shipping her back todenmark, sweeden, or urine soaked london.

You guys dont think the mass exodus of thai women marrying old farang will have an effect on thai men in that region? what are those guys supposed to do? marry a cow?

I think if you look at the big picture the numbers are not so significant as to really throw things out of balance.

I doubt it's going to make that great of an impact, I still don't see all that many Luk-kreungs around compared with regular Thai kids. Look at the Phillipines sometimes there's plenty of mixed kids and mixed marriages running around there. It hasn't improved their lot in life one bit because most of the wives married to foreigners are smart enough to leave and never come back. In Bangkok I see a much higher ratio of available women to men so I doubt this bothers local men much either. Ditto for the bigger cities in Isaan.

Thais married to farangs are still a tiny percentage, if you look at the statistics I bet other asian nationalities intermarry with Thais far more than Thais marry westerners. I know a lot of Singaporeans, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese with Thai wives as well. It's just that they stand out a lot less so you don't notice it's a mixed marriage at all.

Edited by wintermute

"In that respect, Education in general would improve in villages with a large number of community minded farang present. "

this is true. i thik its important for the health of thai society if farang come to live in the region of their life, and help things like you are doing, sir. you are a gentlemen.

there is something disturbing though about a bloke coming to thailand, buying a wife and shipping her back todenmark, sweeden, or urine soaked london.

They don't rock the boat over here, SB. The only ones it might possibly disturb is the guys who dumped the women - and they appear to be spectacularly disinterested. More fool them. As for London - agreed.

I doubt it's going to make that great of an impact, I still don't see all that many Luk-kreungs around compared with regular Thai kids. Look at the Phillipines sometimes there's plenty of mixed kids and mixed marriages running around there. It hasn't improved their lot in life one bit because most of the wives married to foreigners are smart enough to leave and never come back. In Bangkok I see a much higher ratio of available women to men so I doubt this bothers local men much either. Ditto for the bigger cities in Isaan.

Thais married to farangs are still a tiny percentage, if you look at the statistics I bet other asian nationalities intermarry with Thais far more than Thais marry westerners. I know a lot of Singaporeans, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese with Thai wives as well. It's just that they stand out a lot less so you don't notice it's a mixed marriage at all.

I agree as I remember reading a statistic in the papers showing Thailand having more women than men of reproductive age. I think so long as Young thai men continue to show off and drive drunk on their motorcycles there will be no shortage of available women.

I agree as I remember reading a statistic in the papers showing Thailand having more women than men of reproductive age. I think so long as Young thai men continue to show off and drive drunk on their motorcycles there will be no shortage of available women.

In most provinces the sex ratio tips towards more females between ages 23 and 26.

There are as few as 88 Thai men for every 100 Thai women in some age groups, so I don't think we have a problem here. Farangs should think of themselves as liberation agents, helping downtrodden Thai women to achieve a better life than they'd be allowed under the feudal society.

There are as few as 88 Thai men for every 100 Thai women in some age groups, so I don't think we have a problem here. Farangs should think of themselves as liberation agents, helping downtrodden Thai women to achieve a better life than they'd be allowed under the feudal society.

And maybe a good future title for a No.1 in the LOS top 20 would be "You don't appreciate what you had until you lose it".

More fool them. It harks back to another OP asking "What has Thailand given the world?". Well, they actually did give us something good.

I know a 41 yearold Luk Kreung who is a high ranking Police officer in Yasothon province, the only disadvantage he has ,is that his dad :o comes from Leeds :D Nignoy

so you guys dont see an increase in leuk krungs in the nightlife industries coming from these blokes who bite the big one and leave the kids to fend for themselves? i was thinking it might be a possibility.

It's not a huge sweeping increase, but it's there. Usually not in the western oriented nightlife scene... but rather the local one, usually middle to high end massage parlours. Then there's the toy boy and mia noi circuit as well. Not everyone can be an actor or singer, and the shelf life of individuals in the entertainment industry at any level is awfully short anyway.

And it's not all dead farang parents causing this. There often isn't any family business for luk krungs to intern in or run after completing their education. For less than well off farang-Thai relationships, those kids often have to deal with the local glass ceiling in legitimate employment for luk krungs and lack of alternatives in farang controlled businesses (perhaps only several dozen that really stand out, and none of them are luk krung havens anyway). It'll likely never change until farang-Thai families start to form a somewhat united front and to also make a concerted effort to push their children into the various avenues of power here.

:o

Quote nignoy: I know a 41 yearold Luk Kreung who is a high ranking Police officer in Yasothon province, the only disadvantage he has ,is that his dad jap.gif comes from Leeds biggrin.gif Nignoy

Quote qwertz: A white man frum Leeds? Boody 'ell, now I've 'eard everything.

Quote nignoy: I know a 41 yearold Luk Kreung who is a high ranking Police officer in Yasothon province, the only disadvantage he has ,is that his dad jap.gif comes from Leeds biggrin.gif Nignoy

Quote qwertz: A white man frum Leeds? Boody 'ell, now I've 'eard everything.

Dont know about white!! might be some Mahatmacote in their somewhere,could you pm me please!our paths might have crossed in germany, :o Nignoy

it seems like the culture in that reason could really be screwed up in 20-25 years if farang continue to come to thailand in exponential numbers.

while i understand that most of these girls are just scamming farang and not going to stay married to them long term, i still think it will have some effect.

also, if there are more leuk krungs in isaan, its possible that we might see an influx of leuk krungs in the various nightlife venues in the immediate future.

also, china has a sever lack of women and chances are alot of chinese men will come to thailand to purchase a wife the way farang are doing it now -- all of this spells BAD NEWS for local thai men. How will they react?

Do you think before you post things like this?

First assumption --- guys like girls from Isaan <how many of these guys ever met someone socially that was NOT from Isaan?>

and the assumptions go on and on ........

The 1/2 kids ending up in 'nightlife venues'? more likely illegitimate ...

..... most are scamming ....

etc etc

and china has a sever <sic> lack of women?