Motorcyclist killed after horrific accident with 10 wheel truck

webfact

Motorcyclist killed after horrific accident with 10 wheel truck

8pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A ten wheel truck driver told police in Bangkok that he thought he had been hit by a car or pick-up as he drove slowly in the left lane of the Lak Si intersection bridge heading to the Bang Khen roundabout last night.

Santi Thonthong, 50, stopped and got down from his cab to be confronted with a gruesome sight.

A motorcyclist suspended from his motorcycle was wedged into the back of his truck. 

Samian Luangjan, 44, from Khon Kaen was pronounced dead at the scene. 

He was found in possession of electrical tools used in the air-conditioning trade. 

Santi said that he went weak at the knees and nearly collapsed when he saw the horror that confronted him.

He had just made a delivery of earth to Chang Wattana Soi 5 and was on his way back to Ram Inthra.

The body of the dead motorcyclist was taken to Bhumibol Hospital for autopsy after workers from Ruam Katanyu foundation cut him free. 

Investigations continue.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-27

Yet a other unessesary loss of life. 

RIP

The police should come down hard on those not abiding by motoring and traffic laws which includs foreigners, but the Police seem to turn a blind eye to the daily and relentless law breakers... 

It's not rocket science. Enforce the law... Simple.. Or maybe not? 

There are no lights because the ignition is off . 

To be fair, we don’t know if the lights were on at the time of collision and it would be one explanation why the cyclist did not see him sooner.

For all we know, the absence of tail lights might be why he was driving slowly in the left lane.

Just thinking out loud.

14 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

To be fair, we don’t know if the lights were on at the time of collision and it would be one explanation why the cyclist did not see him sooner.

For all we know, the absence of tail lights might be why he was driving slowly in the left lane.

Just thinking out loud.

Even if ALL lights were off (a bit extreme) there are still the reflectors, I can even see two of them in the picture. Even if completely cloaked in darkness like a romulan warship, you would still notice that there is something in front of you from the way it blocks other lights on the road. And finally you should have seriously poor eyesight not to see a giant of that size even from nearby, it seems he crashed full speed into it.

More likely the mc driver didn't realize that the truck was indeed very slow.

While it is very sad Thailand loses on average 66 people every day to road accidents (statistically) and I am sure the severely maimed that die later would increase those figures even more.  Most of these are motor bike drivers and passengers but enforcement is usually overlooked allowing unlicensed children, more than 2 passengers, no helmets, etc and in my experience they don't pursue drivers UNLESS they try to dodge a roadblock?

These traffic fatalities has become the norm as well as the associated funerals in many areas.  I also see too many people affected by head trauma that plagues them and their families for the remainder of their lives?

19 minutes ago, ShortTimed said:

To be equally fair, there was no suggestion that the lights were off at the time of collision.

For all we know, the tail lights were working perfectly and the reason that he was driving slowly in the left lane was the reason stated in the OP.

Even if ALL lights were off (a bit extreme) there are still the reflectors, I can even see two of them in the picture. Even if completely cloaked in darkness like a romulan warship, you would still notice that there is something in front of you from the way it blocks other lights on the road. And finally you should have seriously poor eyesight not to see a giant of that size even from nearby, it seems he crashed full speed into it. More likely the mc driver didn't realize that the truck was indeed very slow.

Like yourself I ride a cycle back home daily during the season.

And I watch riders here. Thais have much better night vision than me in general.

But I see them right up tight to the vehicle in front of them and then snap into another lane such as the left lane coming from a blind position of being obstructed by the truck right in front of them.

You can certainly tell me I am wrong but I have provided an equally reasonable explanation as to why this guy hit that truck so hard they had to cut him out of the wreckage as you have offered. Truck slow. Truck without lights. Rider swerving blind.

Just sayin’

2 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Looks like the truck has no rear lights!!! Maybe very very dim? 

It is irrelevant discussing whether the truck had operable lights. The area in which the accident occurred is well lit . A large vehicle of that size would not be hard to see at anytime if the person behind had a functioning headlight,  and it is reasonably obvious to deduce that the motorbike rider was travelling at such a rate of speed as to enable his motorbike to pass under the rear cross beam of the truck and smash his torso backwards with the impact. 

RIP to the victim and I feel sorry for the trucker who had to face this "gruesome sight".

It is always  easy to blame the truckers when they frequently claim brake failure and other excuses. In this case, I reckon the m/c rider was at fault.

It is irrelevant discussing whether the truck had operable lights. The area in which the accident occurred is well lit . A large vehicle of that size would not be hard to see at anytime if the person behind had a functioning headlight,  and it is reasonably obvious to deduce that the motorbike rider was travelling at such a rate of speed as to enable his motorbike to pass under the rear cross beam of the truck and smash his torso backwards with the impact.  RIP to the victim and I feel sorry for the trucker who had to face this "gruesome sight".

It is always  easy to blame the truckers when they frequently claim brake failure and other excuses. In this case, I reckon the m/c rider was at fault.

I love your technique.

You first dismiss any guessing the events as irrelevant only to then spend a paragraph further guessing...er, I mean deducing on the irrelevant topic.

And then to suggest legitimacy you add a quick RIP.

Definitely a pro at this.

I look forward to your future posts...Lol

Whatever the truck was doing if you're following it's up to you to drive/ride with caution...

looking at how far the rider managed to get his motorcycle and himself up the back of the truck I think the consensus would be that he wasn't paying much attention !

3 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

Just thinking out loud.

I've seen so many of these trucks with extremely poor rear lighting (and usually a couple of CD's hanging down)....  

When looking at the photo its difficult to tell if the ignition is still on and the lights very poor or if the ignition is off and we're seeing some slight illumination as a result of the reflection from the camera flash..... But, I'd bet good money that the rear-lighting was extremely poor... 

A speeding motorcyclists may not have stood a chance...  but then again, its appears that motorcyclist was speeding a night, out-riding his (lights) visibility.... a shocking incident, but luckily involving no innocents. 

2 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

I love your technique.

You first dismiss any guessing the events as irrelevant only to then spend a paragraph further guessing...er, I mean deducing on the irrelevant topic.

And then to suggest legitimacy you add a quick RIP.

Definitely a pro at this.I look forward to your future posts...Lol

Appreciate your compliments :thumbsup:  I look forward to more critiques.

Archived