Motorcyclist killed after horrific accident with 10 wheel truck

webfact

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Even if ALL lights were off (a bit extreme) there are still the reflectors, I can even see two of them in the picture. Even if completely cloaked in darkness like a romulan warship, you would still notice that there is something in front of you from the way it blocks other lights on the road. And finally you should have seriously poor eyesight not to see a giant of that size even from nearby, it seems he crashed full speed into it.

More likely the mc driver didn't realize that the truck was indeed very slow.

I'm not so sure.... I was driving at night (about 10pm) on a dual-carriage way (2 lanes either direction with a central divide) towards Chantaburi - it was pitch black, no external lighting whatsoever... I had to reduce my speed to about 60kmh to drive within my lights.

Having driven in Thailand for a number of years I'm well aware of how 'something' can just be 'parked up' on the inside lane without any lighting, or there can be unlit road-works etc.. 

The road was quiet, yet every 5-10mins or so I was passed at speed by cars who were clearly driving faster than their braking distance and 'chancing it'.

On such roads in such darkness its impossible to tell if there is an obstacle until highlighted by your headlights - and cars have better headlights and better stopping distances than scooters. 

I've seen so many of these trucks with extremely poor rear lighting (and usually a couple of CD's hanging down)....  

When looking at the photo its difficult to tell if the ignition is still on and the lights very poor or if the ignition is off and we're seeing some slight illumination as a result of the reflection from the camera flash..... But, I'd bet good money that the rear-lighting was extremely poor... 

A speeding motorcyclists may not have stood a chance...  but then again, its appears that motorcyclist was speeding a night, out-riding his (lights) visibility.... a shocking incident, but luckily involving no innocents. 

Yes, if a vehicle has the dangling CDs then they don’t have to worry about having their lights on.

even though it doesnt change the outcome any,

i would really like to hear the motorbike driver's version of the event too....about the " ten wheel truck driver told police in Bangkok that he thought he had been hit by a car or pick-up as he drove slowly in the left lane"

Again, the fault automatically falls on the poor lorry driver - found guilty by the resident forensics experts, armchair crime scene investigators and so on. Again, dim rear lights, no rear lights, whatever. The fact is this: if you run into something in front of you, that means you are following too closely, or going too fast, or both, and can't stop within the distance of your headlights' range.

Again, the fault automatically falls on the poor lorry driver - found guilty by the resident forensics experts, armchair crime scene investigators and so on. Again, dim rear lights, no rear lights, whatever. The fact is this: if you run into something in front of you, that means you are following too closely, or going too fast, or both, and can't stop within the distance of your headlights' range.

My apology for not being more clear and giving you this erroneous impression.

It wasn’t that anyone was finding fault with the lorry driver when discussing the rear lights. It was an attempt to establish why the motorbike deceased failed to see the lorry and impacted it at a high rate of speed.

The left lane often has hazards like stalled or slow moving vehicles. The lorry driver was where he was supposed to be.

4 hours ago, outsider said:

Suggest a  speed  for  a vehicle  with no  lights (lorry) on and a 35w headlight  bulb motorbike.

Someone explain to me RIP.

I can die and not rest?

I can die and not be at peace?

What if he's not religious, then should we be sensitive to this???

SFYL.  Sorry for your loss.   But what if it wasn't a loss, and a gain??  Maybe he came back a better person???  lol

Someone explain to me RIP.

I can die and not rest?

I can die and not be at peace?

What if he's not religious, then should we be sensitive to this???

Yes, absolutely a big risk.

Especially if you were murdered and the murderer has not been caught.

Or if some dark energy is keeping you from reaching the netherworld.

Also very common if you were killed by a zombie or vampire.

There are actually several reasons you mightn’t RIP and watching Thai horror movies explains several.

And then there is that Western concept about Hell and that sure doesn’t sound very restful, does it?

On 3/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, Youlike said:

Those trucks take the fast lane and drive full speed pushing all other traffic to the side. 

never seen them do that.  They normally stay well over to the left, often in the 'motorbike lane', so that cars can overtake them easily, which is maybe where this one was. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:53 AM, outsider said:

theres no info supporting either at fault.

the biker may have been at fault for not adequately

assess speed differences,

the truck driver may have cut off the biker

while the biker attempted overtaking,

and if at bad visibility, it certainly is common here

to have all lights off, so the biker may have been completely

unaware of the presence of the truck.

lastly it may also have been premeditated murder, i was myself overtaken by a car on sukumvit, and the second he had

overtaken and placed himself in front of my bike, he slammed his brakes as hard as he could. luckily for me both sides of the lane was empty so i could make my escape,

but only just barely in a timely manner

Archived