Moving to Koh Samui from Bangkok - do I just have to do a 90 day report of change of address?

Hello,

We would like to move from Bangkok to Koh Samui.

There are 4 of us and we all have Non Immigrant visas.

We obtained the visa's from my husband who is working in Bangkok and has a work permit.

When we move to Koh Samui my husband will commute to Bangkok monthly for working.

Is the visa tied to the Provence you obtained it from or are you free to live anywhere in the kingdom as long as you file/update your place of residence (90 day report)?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You are free to live anywhere, regardless of the immigration-office where your "extension of stay" was obtained (it's not a "visa" - unless you obtained it at a consulate abroad, recently entered, and have not yet applied for an extension of stay). 

When you move, you would need to file a TM-28 and TM-30 immediately with immigration at the office covering where you moved.  Some offices will fine you if this is not done within 1 working-day - others 3 days - the policy varying by the immigration office.  The TM-30 would be handled directly by a hotel, but not necessarily by a condo-owner (and it will become "your problem" with immigration, if not done).  After the TM-28 is filed, you can then submit 90-day reports to that office.

When signing a rental-contract, insist the landlord will provide the following at the same time, for immigration purposes:

• Copies of the landlord's ID Card and House Book, signed by the landlord
  • Copies of the rental-property's house-book and chanote, signed by the landlord

Not all immigration offices want all of those, but best to have your bases covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, autumnm7 said:

Is the visa tied to the Provence you obtained it from or are you free to live anywhere in the kingdom as long as you file/update your place of residence (90 day report)?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

You are free to move, but when arriving at Koh Samui you'll need to report the address there by a TM30 form.

Samui immigration might have slightly different regulations from some of the other immigration offices, so depending of where you are staying – hotel or renting a bungalow/house/villa – you might need to visit Samui Immigration Office in Maenam Soi 1, and report the your address in the ground floor office (at left), and have a receipt stamples into your passport.

You still need to do regular 90-day address reporting, counting 90 days from your last address report, or entry to the Kingdom, or extension of stay. That is on the first floor in the Immigration Office, look for the queue with the A4 size sign "90 day report"; it normally takes 10-15 minutes.

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

When signing a rental-contract, insist the landlord will provide the following at the same time, for immigration purposes:

• Copies of the landlord's ID Card and House Book, signed by the landlord
  • Copies of the rental-property's house-book and chanote, signed by the landlord

Not all immigration offices want all of those, but best to have your bases covered.

Good point by @JackThompson

At Samui Immigration, for extension of stay, you'll need a photocopy of landlord's ID-card, and a photocopy of the Blue House Book, both signed by the landlord.

Furthermore you'll need a photocopy of your rental agreement, which can be signed by yourself.

In addition you'll need two maps; a print of a Google-Earth map with a clear marker on the address, and a square box with the address inserted; and a simple hand drawn map showing how to find way to your residence.

In the local Samui forum OP can find a pinned thread about "Samui Immigration Office", including requirements for extension of stay, and 90-days reporting; the thread is normally fully updated.

????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autumnm7 said:

@khunPer & @JackThompson Thank you so very much for the information!  This has been on my mind for sometime and I am glad to be pointed in the right direction ????

Much appreciated!

You are welcome.  There is one other item from the landlord I have added to my list, due to Phuket asking for it - a "power of attorney" allowing you to file the TM-30 for the landlord.  So far, I believe only Phuket is asking for this, but these crazy requests can spread like a flu-virus, from one office to another.  Better to have it than not.  

I would present these document-requests to the landlord in the context of this preventing the landlord from having to deal with this immigration problem.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You are welcome.  There is one other item from the landlord I have added to my list, due to Phuket asking for it - a "power of attorney" allowing you to file the TM-30 for the landlord.  So far, I believe only Phuket is asking for this, but these crazy requests can spread like a flu-virus, from one office to another.  Better to have it than not.  

I would present these document-requests to the landlord in the context of this preventing the landlord from having to deal with this immigration problem.

Never heard about this for Samui Immigration Office, but the demand for a TM30 notice is changing at the moment.

At Samui, i.e. Surat Thani Immigration, a "House Master" – that would be mentioned in the House Book – can register online, and the House Master shall report any foreigners staying in the house within 24 hours, which can also be done online. I'm a foreigner, but also House Master, so when I enter Thailand after a trip abroad, I must report my own name.

However, even I do an online registration, I shall from last year also do a physical registration at Samui Immigration Office before applying for extension of stay, and I need that receipt stampled in my passport. When travelling abroad on a Re-entry Permission, needed when staying on annual extension, my 90-day report receipt will be removed from my passport, whilst my TM30 receipt has (so far) been left there. To be safe, I still register again online when coming back; the new fine is 10,000 baht for not registering.

Be aware that local Immigration rules change often – almost every year we have a new amazing surprise at Samui – and a local immigration office may not always follow what the majority does; for example you need a Health Certificate from a Hospital every year to renew the annual extension of stay, to my knowledge Samui is the only immigration inside Thailand requesting that.

OP can find update of requirements in the pinned thread in the local Samui forum.

????

• Like 1