Recommendation for Gardener near Bo sang?

Dean1953

I got a few projects done this trip (I got home last night), the main one being a concrete block patio that was overrun with weeds taken out, concrete poured, and the concrete blocks put on top.  I had looked for a gardener while there.  My tenant from last year had the yard cut for 1,200-1,500 baht per cut. For the last month, I emailed him to let him know that I would be back in Thailand in March and would like to meet and, if they are available, use his gardeners for the foreseeable future.  The prick, who left on a year’s lease after 6 months (and who I let stay for two additional months to cover his two month deposit because he had bought an air conditioner for one of the bedrooms), would not answer my emails.   My next door Thai neighbor, who is also an electrician, cuts the lawn at 3,000 baht a cut.  It took me 5 hours to cut and use a trimmer on it while I was there.  If the going rate in Thailand is $20 an hour to cut grass, I guess I have the right person.  If anyone knows of any gardeners that can cut grass and periodically trim trees for between 1,500 to 2,000 baht, in the Bo sang area, let me know.  If not, I’ll continue the search on my next trip to Chiangmai in about a year.

We pay gardeners 300-350 baht per day.  Since you have a 5 hour job, why are you willing to pay 1500-2000 Baht for it?

Did you get your sprinkler sorted?  Interested in that one since I may need a guy to work on a Hunter system.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

We pay gardeners 300-350 baht per day.

This is mostly based on a monthly salary, and is rather cheap. 

I don't think one can find, in a city, someone who is ready to do a day job, for one time, at 350 Thb. 

I pay the lady who come weekly clean my Condo, and changing bedding, 350 Thb for 2-3 hours work. 

She also iron my clothes for 20 Thb a piece. 

But this is in Bangkok. 

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

We pay gardeners 300-350 baht per day.  Since you have a 5 hour job, why are you willing to pay 1500-2000 Baht for it?

Did you get your sprinkler sorted?  Interested in that one since I may need a guy to work on a Hunter system.  Thanks.

That's a really good price. Our guy who is a really nice Burmese guy and a very hard worker, comes with his wife and cousin and charges 700 for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. He takes care of about 20 or more different homes in the moobaan. We have asked many of the homeowners which are all Thai how much they pay because the wife worried we were being over-charged. Everyone she asked told her they pay them between 500-800 per visit. Our garden is not that large but we always have them completely clear about 15 X 60 meters of the jungle next to us which really helps to keep down the snake population in our garden. They also clean out the very deep klong behind us to make sure there is no blockage of fallen branches, trees, leaves, etc. during the rainy season. If we need planting or anything, they do a better job than most; i.e. turning the soil, adding amendment, fertilizer, grading for drainage, etc.

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Mr. Suthep’s Thai assistant came by and reset the Hunter sprinkler system, checked the filter and went around readjusting the direction of the sprinklers and took one apart to manually clean it and drastically increase water flow.  After he left, the sprinkler worked great but quit working after a few days (the pump came on but no water made it to the sprinklers).  I had two large trees planted and those, and a couple of existing trees that had not fared very well during hot season, had to be watered twice a day by hand.  In using the hose that is connected to the well water, I diverted water to the hose and away from the sprinklers.  Mr. Suthep this time came out and quickly figured out what had happened.  He gave a crash course about the sprinkler system to my Thai neighbor.  So, at least if something basic goes wrong, the neighbor can reset the Hunter controller and make sure that the water flows to the sprinklers, instead of the hose.  

A year ago, I drove around the nearest moo ban to see if any gardeners were around.  I didn’t see any.  I may be forced to pay the neighbor for another year.  I’ll be spending the summer of 2020 at my Thai house.  That should give me plenty of time to find someone in a decent price range.

10 hours ago, Dante99 said:

We are out of town and have gardening about 3 days a week, sometimes more, so that keeps the price down.  We also work with people and families we have known for years. Sorry Dean, we are far from Bor Sang so our guys could not help you.

That said, 1500-2000-3000 still seems high for grass cutting even if it is once a month but I do know a few folks that pay towards the lower end of that for a 3 man crew once a month for 6-8 hours of crew yard work.

You have a gf or wife?

My Thai gf spends several hours cutting the grass.  It is her house so.. I usually look out at her with a beer while watching TV.

Otherwise, I cannot see any major grass cutting job being more then 500 b.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:38 AM, Dean1953 said:

If anyone knows of any gardeners that can cut grass and periodically trim trees for between 1,500 to 2,000 baht, in the Bo sang area, let me know.  If not, I’ll continue the search on my next trip to Chiangmai in about a year.

You must have a very nice house on a beautiful piece of property.

It’s definitely not in a cramped moo ban.  A Thai lady that I met over 20 years ago family had land just south of Bo sang.  I bought one rai from her in 2003.  It’s on a private road (the government just upgraded it from gravel to concrete) and the only people living there are relatives.  That, more than any other reason, is why the house has never been burglarized in the 11 years that I haven’t lived there.  It’s on 1 rai of land with the house in the middle.  As I’ve been told many times, you really have to like wooden houses to like it.  

43F830E3-D5EB-453A-BE4E-74A8A0A81BB2.jpeg

8F130B09-D4AB-4873-A181-69BB3B8BDAEC.jpeg

Archived