No-deal Brexit fears rise as parliament sinks May's deal

rooster59

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The only bickering over 'what leave' is by people who never wanted to leave.

Everyone who actually voted to leave knew exactly what it meant, stop paying the membership fees.

Fancy having a Hard Brexiteer back in 2016 sitting on your shoulder with electrodes monitoring your every political thought.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, kickstart said:

When Thatcher became PM, I was paying 16% on my mortgage, just after she left I was paying 3% on my mortgage.

What is relevant is not the absolute rate, it's the rate compared to the inflation rate.

6 hours ago, Greenisland said:

You can blame the elected politicians as much as you wish, but you can't really blame the unelected civil servants, who are doing their jobs the best they can.

Learn the difference. 

I do hope, your not including Ollie Robbins. T.mays side kick.

Edited by Thairealist
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

I keep hearing about EU intransigence. I don't get it.

What does the U.K. Want that the EU is refusing us? Maybe a rational Brexiter can explain.

The EU is a club. 52% want to leave? What exactly is the EU doing to thwart this? 

To me, remaining is obviously the better option. The EU needs to make changes most certainly. 

They have to bake the cake fill it with cream and decorate with cherries and hand it over to Boris.

7 hours ago, candide said:

President of EP: elected MEP, elected by other MEPs

President of EC: nominated by European Council and elected by EP. So indirectly elected (same as Senators or PMs in several countries)

President of Council: elected by Council (represents elected governments of member states)

Sorry, it does not fit your superficial simplification.

The people, the people, not the little club of their own making. That is not any definition of democracy and accountability to  the people.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Grouse said:

Oxbridge muppets?

Correct!  Who in  their right mind leaves an Oxbridge College with a double first and becomes a Civil Servant?  Someone with no ambition whatsoever and with an eye on an easy life and a nice fat inflation proofed pension at the end of it, plus a nice pretty medal to wear.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, david555 said:

Same case for Theresa May after Cameron "run off" (read : deserted...) , she was not elected neither as PM at that moment , ….just a follow up appointee ..are the lords of house of lords ..elected ?? 

she was elected, by her constituents, that is totally different to being appointed and never elected by anyone. She is PM, the first among equals,  not a 'President'. As for the Lords, that is a totally unacceptable anachronism and needs to be abolished and replaced with a largely elected Senate.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, candide said:

What is relevant is not the absolute rate, it's the rate compared to the inflation rate.

to most people its how much dosh they have to part with every month. Calculations like you put forward are not the issue, or even very relevant,  for most hard pressed households. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

to most people its how much dosh they have to part with every month. Calculations like you put forward are not the issue, or even very relevant,  for most hard pressed households. 

Before Thatcher, the inflation rate (CPI) was usually over 10% and up to 24%, and the guy complained his mortgage was at 16%, which is around the average inflation rate during these years. After Thatcher, it remained over 3% until 1986.

As mentioned by another poster before editing this post, the price of properties tend to follow the inflation rate.

Edited by candide

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Correct!  Who in  their right mind leaves an Oxbridge College with a double first and becomes a Civil Servant?  Someone with no ambition whatsoever and with an eye on an easy life and a nice fat inflation proofed pension at the end of it, plus a nice pretty medal to wear.   

Hello! Its our resident Careers Master.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Well maximum brownie points to you for speaking up for "hard pressed households". Were you elected to this role or are you adopting it as some sort of spurious justification for your opinions? 

Incidentally if you are paying a mortgage and the value of your property increases by more than the mortgage payments increase, you are better off. That is a simple example of what I believe was the point being made.

Yip..but remember that there has been financial turbulance a few times in the last 30 or do years..negative equity..repossessions etc.
A 25/30 year financial noose round your neck is sometimes not a pretty sight

Well maximum brownie points to you for speaking up for "hard pressed households". Were you elected to this role or are you adopting it as some sort of spurious justification for your opinions? 
Incidentally if you are paying a mortgage and the value of your property increases by more than the mortgage payments increase, you are better off. That is a simple example of what I believe was the point being made.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

she was elected, by her constituents, that is totally different to being appointed and never elected by anyone. She is PM, the first among equals,  not a 'President'. As for the Lords, that is a totally unacceptable anachronism and needs to be abolished and replaced with a largely elected Senate.  

Like you consider it with same as elected by  constituents , we see it as chosen by those who we chose, MAY is not chosen as Prime minister that moment she followed up be best PM you ever had …:cheesy: however you see it...we don't see it so , and you do not see ours so … so same same 

It is only a shame we can not yet elect in total for E.U. , only for our country part Eu mp's, or else I think Barnier would skyrocket ….only already for the politeness and patience he had, with all what the U.K. has send as negotiators , but for now I can see he" had it with the U.K." the bucket of patience is empty ….just fed up ...hoping you get your Brexit anyhow...! finally ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Yip..but remember that there has been financial turbulance a few times in the last 30 or do years..negative equity..repossessions etc.
A 25/30 year financial noose round your neck is sometimes not a pretty sight

Exactly.

To be honest, high inflation and interest rates worked out well for me - as I was lucky enough to be in a job where salaries at least matched inflation.  Not everyone was so lucky, and many lost their homes as a result ☹️.

When my ex and I separated, it was depressing that we both bought houses from people who were looking at repossession....  In our defense, neither of us argued about the price as we both felt badly for those who were losing their homes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

True, and that is because he did not put himself before the voting public of Europe to be voted into office,  as Fararge said of him, he is a nonentity.  

i dont even know the name of my UK mp let alone any EU mp.all i know is that its a labour MP and always will be,hence its a waste of time me even voting,

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.

To be honest, high inflation and interest rates worked out well for me - as I was lucky enough to be in a job where salaries at least matched inflation.  Not everyone was so lucky, and many lost their homes as a result ☹️.

When my ex and I separated, it was depressing that we both bought houses from people who were looking at repossession....  In our defense, neither of us argued about the price as we both felt badly for those who were losing their homes.

my current home i bought 11 years ago was a repossession,the owner was evicted he worked as a plumber and his wife worked in some office they had one kid,more than enough income to have a good living,but they both liked a sniff too much,so no hard feelings from bomber towards them,the UK has many others like them sniffing away hundreds of pounds a week for a quick buzz,its a british obsession a bit like brexit and the paranoia about the EU and Germany

Not to be sniffed at then?
Is that what you're trying to say [emoji23]

my current home i bought 11 years ago was a repossession,the owner was evicted he worked as a plumber and his wife worked in some office they had one kid,more than enough income to have a good living,but they both liked a sniff too much,so no hard feelings from bomber towards them,the UK has many others like them sniffing away hundreds of pounds a week for a quick buzz,its a british obsession a bit like brexit and the paranoia about the EU and Germany

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

Excellent discussion with Ken Clarke. You really should hear what he has to say!

Thanks for posting - this is brilliant, at last an MP with an independent mind. Intelligent, articulate, pragmatic, and wise, no chance of anybody on the Brexit side having remotely that gravitas. It is sad for me (As a supporter of the moderate left) to see the best comments coming from Tory grandees, but indeed they are, Major and Hestletine as well. Starmer and Cooper are encouraging, but I have never seen overall such a useless bunch of MPs in my life. 

• Haha 1