Which Is Best? - Kaza, Bearshare

RDN

Whiling away the hours before the bar gets crowded (and worth going to) I like to download music (mp3s), videos (mpgs and avis) and applications (exes, zips, rars etc.)

Anybody experienced enough to say which program is best for these? I use Bearshare, maybe now there is something better...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whiling away the hours before the bar gets crowded (and worth going to) I like to download music (mp3s), videos (mpgs and avis) and applications (exes, zips, rars etc.)

Anybody experienced enough to say which program is best for these? I use Bearshare, maybe now there is something better...

goto www.memelog.com d/l Bottler set it up with a username e.t.c this use`s irc, it`s` good for everything from movies to mp3`s.

Another good programme is DCC+ not sure of the address use google or something to find it.

Use bittorrent do the same with google and then go to www.suprnova.org you will find everthing there.

D/L Mirc then goto www.packetnews.com or www.ircspy.com do a search for what you want click on the n:o of the item you want then Mirc opens up automaticly.

Edonkey is o.k aswell.

Have fun. :o

The following file-swappers are confirmed to have spyware :o or other unwanted parasites bundled into them:

KaZaa (offers a paid version without spyware)

Limewire

Audiogalaxy

Bearshare (offers a paid version without spyware)

Imesh

Morpheus

Grokster

Xolox

Blubster 2.x aka Piolet (Blubster 2.0 and higher and Piolet are adware and bundle other adware)

OneMX

FreeWire

BitTorrent (Only the Unify Media version. Other versions are clean to my knowledge. See warning below)

==================================

The following file-swappers have been found not to have any spyware or other advertising parasites bundled into them:

WinMX (recommended)

Shareaza

E-Mule

Gnucleus

Blubster 1.2.3 (Later versions include adware)

Soulseek

BitTorrent

Direct Connect

Mute

EarthStation5

Kazza-Lite I believe is the best all around - huge user base and speedy downloads - without the spy-ware.

eMule is good for full music Cd's but download speeds are relatively low - good for background downloads if connected for other reasons.

• 11 months later...

Lopburi (or someone else), could you kindly indicate where exactly the real Kazaa Lite can be downloaded? This would save a lot of time.

I did a search and I found numerous sites where some software named "Kazaa Lite" (or something equivalent) is present, but they all look different, and I suspect some of them may be fake/cracked copies of the real Kazaa Lite, and might even have spyware/adware bundled to it.

You went back a year to find this one and in terms of music downloads a lot has happened since then. I do not have any present knowledge of current crop or where to find, or even if most are still active. I do know the Kazza Lite was always a bit hard to find.

Not mentioned here is LimeWire Pro -- very fast, a gazillion users, and no spyware or adware.

Morbius, you can download Kazaa Lite version 2.5 stripped of the spyware and adware here:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2009080/Kazza_Lite_K__.rar.html

Scroll down and click the Free button. On the new page that opens, scroll down again to the bottom, wait for your download ticket, and click on the download link.

Edited by melus

all that info is out-of date (except for melus)

Kazzalite has been shut down - most sites that list it now, are not actually kazzalite, but paid for versions.... only old versions of kazzalite can be gotten (through kazaa) But their network sucks now as no one really uses it and it is packed with fake files.

Bit torrent is prolly the best - the torrent sites are being hit with legal action these days so you have to keep up with what sites come online. BT is good but can freeze the computer, and searching takes a while to go through all the different sites.

DC+ works ok, mostly in Europe. Can get old movies/series but takes a long time to find a good hub to connect to. you need to get hub lists and try connecting to them all ... speeds are not good though, except with a fast connection (such as business SME account)

Emule is best for choice, but is dreadfully slow. You have to run lots of DL at once and let them come in bit by bit.

BT and some other systems are being restricted by TRUE so don't expect good speeds. Most of these programs (such as the Thai hub) require you to set ports on your router, which leaves many people stumped.

Our DC++ hub in Thailand is not bad. These days its mostly transferring between friends with pretty good speeds. We tend to leave it running all the time, and swap our torrents.

There are some new formats being introduced so you have to keep tuned. Ares is good, but only very current releases in video files.

BTW I treid that link melus but it said that they will not UL to this url :o

Edited by Pandit

You have requested the file Kazza_Lite_K__.rar (6657269 Bytes). This file has been downloaded 2 times already.

IMPORTANT: Download-accelerators are only supported with a PREMIUM-Account!

This IP 203.144.160.245 is not allowed to use the free-service anymore today. We detected very extreme downloads. Don't worry! This has not to be your fault.

Maybe you use a proxy-server. Premium-users are not affected by this ban. Maybe you might want to get a PREMIUM-Account, too.

It is just a one-time fee and you will have access instantly. Please see our big FAQ, if you still have questions.

Very interesting problem downloading from the site above with True's IP address of 203.144.160.xxx. My IP address with True has been changed to 58.11.38.xxx, and I have no problem with the download. True is really getting to be bastards.

Very interesting problem downloading from the site above with True's IP address of 203.144.160.xxx. My IP address with True has been changed to 58.11.38.xxx, and I have no problem with the download. True is really getting to be bastards.

I had to have my True IP changed to 58.11, as I was having problems file sharing with 58.9, they seemed to have put alot of restrictions on it, though they said everything should be hunky dory as of next month. I suspect that will mean that they, would have managed to put some restriction programe in place

the 58 server is for the SME account - they are giving it away at the moment as a free trial, and interestingly have not informed a few people that they are trialing this business account. Or maybe they email you but u don't check the email account that comes with the service (I know I never have).

Make hay while the sun shines.

Shareaza is my new favourite, fast and simple.

Totally agree, Shareaza searchers three networks,only thing is you have to remember to connect two of them manually,not difficult,many great features including NO spyware.I like the fact you can preview what your downloading very early on.

It takes torrents as well,so go to any torrent site pick what you want and it starts in Shareaza

The longer you leave it running the faster it gets.

having downloaded above mentioned prog. (Shareaza) and been trying it for last hour i must say it seems to be pants. I have lime wire free version and it finds stuff quicker faster and with far more shared sources, maybe i am just tying it at a bad time but the difference so far is huge. I am fairly new to the share program bit as i didnt want all the spyware crap that went with most of them. But lime wire for me has been a gem. I run virus, spyware progs and no sign of anything included in the program. If i am missing something please feel free to point it out. Search time seems very long too. Will keep trying it for a week or so see if it or my ability to make it work better improves. thanks for the tip though.

just got a little better after adding the last network derrrr!

Edited by Boatabike

usenet newsgroups.

Do a search for newsbinn program.

install

then add alt.binaries.mp3  or something.

Lots of files on everything. no spyware, local downloads

can you get access to newsgroups from thailand? what news server can you use?

If you want it you should plan to pay for it. The free servers are not worth the frustrations.

usenet newsgroups.

install

If you want it you should plan to pay for it. The free servers are not worth the frustrations.

Got any recommendations Lopburi? Never really gotten into news servers because of this fact, but will do if there's one highly regarded.

usenet newsgroups.

install

Got any recommendations Lopburi? Never really gotten into news servers because of this fact, but will do if there's one highly regarded.

I have used Newshosting for the last few months and just about all posts are complete (the big problem with most servers) and they have about 3 weeks retention for binary posts. Download speed can vary quite a bit however, depending on what ip I am assigned and/or my connection to server and/or TRUE assigning low priority and/or a combination of all above.

I did not realize that I was writing in a one year old (or so) thread. But it looks like it has been "re-vitalised", from the number of posts I have seen since then.

Thanks lopburi and pandit for the useful input. I have not tried everything, but here are my comments so far.

*Kazaa Lite

I could not get it at the indicated web page. But I did not spend much time trying to find it anyway, since some mentioned that it is not active any more.

*WinMX

I like the user interface very much. Very pleasant to use. However, I have not been able to get the best of it yet: most often when I try to DL a file, I get into a long queue, and usually I lose the connection before my turn comes. Also, I find the DL speeds very slow.

*LimeWire

Nice app. Seems to have lots of users and files. But here again, I experience very slow DL speeds. UL speeds are fair though.

*Ares

Simple but nice app. Probably less popular than the others as I can find less choice. But I seem to DL files here faster than on LimeWire.

*eMule

Nice app. Seems like there is large variety of files there. But it does not work well for me: I experience extremely slow DL speeds (UL speed faster). I seem to get better results with the old eDonkey.

*eDonkey

To me, more efficient than eMule. Seems contradictory given that I understand that eMule is now more popular than eDonkey.

*Shareaza

Saw good comments on this forum and elsewhere. Haven't tried it yet, but it is the next one on my list.

*Exceem

I have read good comments about it but I haven't tried it yet

I cant speak for any applications but Direct Connect (LDC++ client) and BitTorrent (BitTornado client).

Pandit has already taken up some pros and cons with DC, but there is one more point to make about it - to get into good public hubs in the DC network you need to share a lot of files - preferably 50 GB or more of quality files (not rubbish, because your share gets checked by the OPs (moderators), in order to get to the goodies. After 50 GB and up, you can connect to 10 large hubs or more at the same time, which gives you access to a huge network of users. Now combine this with a multi-segment download client like LDC++ or Reverse Connect, and you will be downloading the most popular/wide-spread files at your connection's top capacity - because these applications cut up each file into maximum 8 segments, and try to connect to the 8 best speed users available in any given moment.

For more obscure files, the speed will be the same as for the official client Pandit uses (DC++). DC is a Swedish network, which means the proportion of Swedes using it is larger than many other networks. It is also somewhat reflected in the choice of files available (not in the top hubs though).

Download the official client for DC++ and visit the Expathub and you will get a chance to familiarize yourself with the DC environment.

As for BitTornado, it works great - like Pandit said, if you keep up with the tracker sites.