Model demands police protection to female revelers during Songkran

snoop1130

Model demands police protection to female revelers during Songkran

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

662c7a02b5ff321fba3bf92f67fb5825.jpeg

Thai model Sirinya "Cindy" Bishop, founder of the "Don't tell me how to dress" campaign to stop assault-victim-blaming, urged police to implement measures to prevent sexual harassment during Songkran.

Many women are groped or assaulted during the water-splashing festival while police urged women not to wear "too revealing or too sexy" clothing.

The Thai-American model and actress led some 30 activists, including victims of sexual harassment during previous Songkrans, to submit a petition to national police chief General Chakthip Chaijinda. 

Sirinya called on police to provide security during Songkan to prevent sexual harassment and assaults, while also imposing harsher punishments. 

The Progressive Movement Foundation head Jaree Srisawat, who accompanied Sirinya, said alcohol was responsible for 40 per cent of road accidents during Songkran as well as contributing to many sexual assaults and brawls. 

Jaree said police should enforce the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008, especially the prohibition of alcohol sales to under 18s and ensure that the water-play zones were alcohol-free.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30367076

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-03

• Haha 1

The Progressive Movement Foundation head Jaree Srisawat, who accompanied Sirinya, said alcohol was responsible for 40 per cent of road accidents during Songkran as well as contributing to many sexual assaults and brawls. 

Jaree said police should enforce the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008, especially the prohibition of alcohol sales to under 18s and ensure that the water-play zones were alcohol-free.

vehicles are responsible for 100% of road accidents by that logic - maybe start a campaign.. :whistling:

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

vehicles are responsible for 100% of road accidents by that logic - maybe start a campaign.. :whistling:

The fact is that there are a lot of pissed or stoned drivers every day in Thailand (plus incompetence) that account for massive loss of life every day.

It is the old perennial, who killed the man, a bullet, the gun or the person who fired it.

If you don't drive when you are pissed, all is good.

If you don't holster up when you are pissed or stoned, all is good.

For me I no longer drive even if I have had only a sip. And I don't need a gun.

But I used to and that is the problem.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai model Sirinya "Cindy" Bishop, founder of the "Don't tell me how to dress" campaign to stop assault-victim-blaming, urged police to implement measures to prevent sexual harassment during Songkran.

Many women are groped or assaulted during the water-splashing festival while police urged women not to wear "too revealing or too sexy" clothing.

Last time I played, many years ago, I had a hand grab my tackle from behind, and was reluctant to let-go.  The hand belonged to a thirty-something woman, who just smiled and walked-on.

Imagine what reaction I would have got if I had reported it to the police.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, justin case said:

so you mean it is ok to grope then ... guess you have no daughters 

Depends on the 'groper'. If he's part of a S.Korean boy band, many would be more than happy to be groped.

Keep an eye on your daughters.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

urged police to implement measures to prevent sexual harassment during Songkran.

Urged police.... ????????????????..... with a list of names.... none Benjamin, so I have little faith in any proactive outcome.

the reality is that she/ they are just publicly asking the police to do their job. Protect and serve.... but we know that they rarely do that

besides which, if they were to do a portion of their job, letting a little slap and tickle slid in favor of actually policing the roads, would be my preference.

look to yourself.... I won’t be out on my bike ( during songkran) because idiots throw buckets of ice and water at people. I know it’s going to happen. I plan for it. There will be groping in almost any crowd (what with humans being the beasts we are). Expect it. Plan for it..... but if your plan is to rely on the police to be proactive, you need a new plan..

5 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Men (and women) should be able to control their urges. End of. 

Yes, people should be able to control their urges and most people can do so .

But the reality is that there are some people who cannot control their urges and that needs to be taken into consideration when deciding  what clothes to wear 

The human kind would go extinct if everybody did what they are told they should do. That said..

For thousands of years humans managed to cope with reality, now PC nutters and SJWs are trying to live in an alternate universe. It's more dangerous than acknowledging the world is full of a-holes and one should act accordingly.

Nobody screams bloody murder if defensive driving is mentioned. I should be able to drive the wrong way on sidewalk 250km/h but that ain't gonna happen either. Common sense is in short supply.

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Women going in bikinis to water fights, non-smokers cramming into cigar clubs, vegans crowding a bbq joint and so on. Just stay out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

Are you seriously suggesting that you should expect to be sexually harassed and groped just because you wear a bikini to a water fight? Would you just shrug it off if your daughter was assaulted in this manner and tell her to stop whining? Hardly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Myran said:

Are you seriously suggesting that you should expect to be sexually harassed and groped just because you wear a bikini to a water fight? Would you just shrug it off if your daughter was assaulted in this manner and tell her to stop whining? Hardly.

I would say that it would be a possibility and the fact that it happens , shows that its a distinct possibility 

9 minutes ago, Myran said:

Maybe when you're around, based upon your views on the subject.

No worries I won't be around, had enough katoys groping my balls in 2007. Do I get a metoo pin, soooooo traumatized.

Moral of the story: don't shoot at katoys unless you need a good grope.