Non-O in a hurry

I have decided to apply to convert my visa exemption to a Non-O visa and then apply for an extension based on marriage.

From previous threads I see that one needs at least 15 days left on one's visa exemption or 30-day extension.  My extension ends on 15th April.

Please confirm or comment on my options.  As far as I can make out I could either go to a consulate in another country - Savannakhet being the one most frequently recommended or I could get a further 60 day extension based on marriage at Chaeng Wattana (this is what the immigration official told me) if my wife comes with me and then apply for the Non-O once I have the new extension.  Thank you for all your advice/comments.

60 days at immigration. 1,900 Baht.

After that you can apply for 12 month extension if you qualify. 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 monthly income.

1,900 baht. fee.

Up to 15 months at Savanakhet. 5,000 Baht and requires you to leave the country every 90 days. 

Edited by Justin Side

You could try for a 60 day extension and apply for the Non ‘O’ if you get it.

I would do a visa run to Laos and get a Non ‘O’ from Savannahket. If you apply for the 60 day extension you’ll need three visits to immigration just to achieve the Non ‘O’ visa/entry.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaibook said:

thank you but between the 60 day extension and the 12 month extension do I not need to get the 90 day non-O? 

Yes.

21 minutes ago, thaibook said:

Can I apply for the 12 month extension straight from the 60 day one?

No. You need a Non ‘O’ visa/entry stamp before applying for the 1 year extension.

• Like 1

I would do a visa run to Laos and get a Non ‘O’ from Savannahket. If you apply for the 60 day extension you’ll need three visits to immigration just to achieve the Non ‘O’ visa/entry.
why 3 immigration visits?

You can get a single entry Non O easily at almost all Thailand consulates in the region. A few may require financial proof, most do not. The conversion process can be a real pain, depending on your local immigration office. Do the visa run as soon as possible. Consulates are busy, with many closed days, as you approach Songran.

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, elviajero said:

why 3 immigration visits?

1. 60 day extension.

2. Application for Non O

3. Return for Non O stamp after approval of application.

In the OP's situation I'd apply for a 90 day Non Imm O Visa at Savannakhet based on marriage, then apply straight for the extension within the last 30 days of that 90 day entry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

1. 60 day extension.

2. Application for Non O

3. Return for Non O stamp after approval of application.

In the OP's situation I'd apply for a 90 day Non Imm O Visa at Savannakhet based on marriage, then apply straight for the extension within the last 30 days of that 90 day entry.

They could potentially do the 60 day extension and Non ‘O’ application on the same day, but it would be a waste of the 60 day extension and a long day sat in CW.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

They could potentially do the 60 day extension and Non ‘O’ application on the same day, but it would be a waste of the 60 day extension and a long day sat in CW.

Agree, but reading a post in another topic, a member who went to CW today wasn't seen and was asked to return tomorrow. Sounds as though CW is extremely busy at the moment.

Immigration only open 3 days next week and the following week, so guess everyone's trying to get in this week.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

Thank you all.

It seems that it will have to be Savannakhet as I have a three week trip booked from 13th June and so will need a multiple entry Non-O.  As my current exemption expires on 15th April I would have about 30 days left on the Non-O on my return to LOS to apply for the extension based on marriage.

As Monday and Friday are public holidays I shall need to be there for Tuesday morning.  Any views on the best way to get there from BKK? 

42 minutes ago, thaibook said:

Thank you all.

It seems that it will have to be Savannakhet as I have a three week trip booked from 13th June and so will need a multiple entry Non-O.  As my current exemption expires on 15th April I would have about 30 days left on the Non-O on my return to LOS to apply for the extension based on marriage.

As Monday and Friday are public holidays I shall need to be there for Tuesday morning.  Any views on the best way to get there from BKK? 

The easiest option is to use a fly/ride service to Mukdahan on Nok Air (via 3 airports) or Air Asia (only one airport) from Don Mueang. Then cross the bridge to Savannakhet.