From NonB Visa to Tourist Visa

Good morning everyone

I'm currently employed at a university in Thailand for a short period of three months. Both my Non B Visa and my Work permit will expire on may (the former on the 5th, the latter on the 6th). My plan was to travel around after working, so I was planning, as suggested by an immigration officer, to cross the border, for example in Mae Sot, and get a new Tourist Visa, which would not be considered extension because of the change of type and so it should last 30 days.

I have two question:

First: is it the correct way to obtain it?

Second: will I have to cancel my work permit and go to the immigration office, or can I just leave the country? Since my job contract, my working visa and my work permit expire all at the same time, what I'd do is just crossing the border on the 5th of may and re-enter the same day.

Thanks

-if you are planning to stay 7 days or less, you can apply for an extension at your local Immigration office. It will be rejected, but they will give you seven days to leave.

If you want to stay more than seven days:

- if you are sure that you will never work in Thailand again, you can simply leave, and then return as a tourist.

- if you want to protect your right to work here in the future, cancel your W.P., and take the receipt which they will give you to your Immigration office. Then, follow the procedure outlined above; this will keep you legal long enough to exit Thailand.

-some Immigration offices/border posts want to see a termination letter from your employer, so you may want to get one, if you plan to exit via Laos, or if your local Immigration office says you need one. You or your employer can probably check by phone in advance.

Edited by allane
x