Myanmar man found with millions of baht in Indian rupees on bus in Ayuthaya

rooster59

Myanmar man found with millions of baht in Indian rupees on bus in Ayuthaya

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU0Ny83NzM2MTQ2L25ld3MxNi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

A man from Myanmar is helping police with their inquiries after he was found in possession of millions of baht in Indian rupees. 

A tour bus was intercepted in Ayuthaya by Bang Pa-In highway police and Ong, 37 was arrested. 

In his bag was 4,250,000 rupees worth about 2.1 million baht. He said the money was his. 

Earlier a checkpoint had seized a bag containing Indian money in Tak province. No one aboard the Chiang Mai to Bangkok service admitted to owning the bag and the bus was allowed to continue on its way.

But when CCTV on board the bus was examined police tracked its progress.

The conductress said that the man from Myanmar had been acting suspiciously. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-06

28 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Earlier a checkpoint had seized a bag containing Indian money in Tak province. No one aboard the Chiang Mai to Bangkok service admitted to owning the bag and the bus was allowed to continue 

No one fronted to owning it .! How bad is that .. Must be a bit like asking a car thief to own up to tea-leafing a Lada .. 

• Haha 1

Said it was his, well it's now be appropriated by the BIB never to see daylight again. 

On a serious note, why was the guy arrested, do the BIB have any good reason to think that it doesn't belong to the guy who claims it's his?  

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

On a serious note, why was the guy arrested, do the BIB have any good reason to think that it doesn't belong to the guy who claims it's his?  

I would imagine he was arrested so the police could formally ascertain the source of the money.

For example, if the arrested person was a demonstrably wealthy businessman who had a record of paying necessary taxes then the ownership would have some credence (other than the fact that wealthy people don't tend to take the bus).

On the other hand if the arrested person has no reasonable answer regarding the source of the funds then further investigations would need to be made. What if the alleged owner stole the money and there is a very unhappy Thai-Indian person wondering where their stolen money is?

I think on the face of it I would agree with the police's action in detaining the man for questioning. If it's legit it can be sorted out quickly and no real harm done.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I would imagine he was arrested so the police could formally ascertain the source of the money.

For example, if the arrested person was a demonstrably wealthy businessman who had a record of paying necessary taxes then the ownership would have some credence (other than the fact that wealthy people don't tend to take the bus).

On the other hand if the arrested person has no reasonable answer regarding the source of the funds then further investigations would need to be made. What if the alleged owner stole the money and there is a very unhappy Thai-Indian person wondering where their stolen money is?

I think on the face of it I would agree with the police's action in detaining the man for questioning. If it's legit it can be sorted out quickly and no real harm done.

Big difference between detained to establish data and arrested. J7