Missile On Google Maps..

Lucifer

This one is a bit closer to home.......

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=0&a....016394&t=k

Hi tolsti

That does'nt look like anywhere near your home (England,bloody England)

p.s. Good avitar. I met Buster once when he was the Manager of NatWest Selhurst branch BTW. Nice bloke.

Regards

Dave :o

The closer to home reference was as in ''closer to Thailand''.... it's near Shanghai. Glad you like the avatar I always liked Uncle Albert!

it's actually an airplane

look at the wings/contrails formed by the two separate engines :o

Looks like a USAF cruise missile to me.

Ya, and many members lambasted me for asking if they were prepared for a nuclear attack or warfare. Just saw a BBC doc on 5 different doomsday scenarios. Guess this is Disneyland.

Boeing tests cruise missles at the UTTR, Utah Test and Training Range. Air-launched from a B-52.

I guess I'm amazed that a satellite photo could capture the image so well as these things can go up to 3,000 mph, or that is just happened to take a photo at that moment, and that the photo is on Google.

It is always amazing what you can fnd on Google Earth.

I love the place. Unfortunately the image for my area was taken before my house built nearly 5 years ago...(In Thailand).

Increase your screen resolution and colors and you'll see the wings are almost the same shade as the ground below. Seems like an MD-80 or somthing like that (short-medium range commercial passenger jet).

Mmmmm well I can see what you are saying but it still looks like a AGM-86 Conventional Air-Launched Cruise Missile (CALCM) to me. I guess we will never know for sure

post-22250-1173186758_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rimmer

Increase your screen resolution and colors and you'll see the wings are almost the same shade as the ground below. Seems like an MD-80 or somthing like that (short-medium range commercial passenger jet).

Bingo! This is a jet aircraft around Beaver Utah, a little South of Cove Fort (I-15, I-70) interchange.

Ironically, The infamous Area 51 (Nevada Test Site) is around 250 miles due West.

Cruise missle testing in the West Coast is normally either Vandenberg AFB (California) to China Lake Naval Weapons Center (California) or Fallon Naval Air Station (Nevada) to Area 52 (Nevada Test Site, Tonopah Test Range).

The Utah Test Range over the past 20+ years has been primarily fuel testing for NASA.

Bingo! This is a jet aircraft around Beaver Utah, a little South of Cove Fort (I-15, I-70) interchange.

Ironically, The infamous Area 51 (Nevada Test Site) is around 250 miles due West.

Cruise missle testing in the West Coast is normally either Vandenberg AFB (California) to China Lake Naval Weapons Center (California) or Fallon Naval Air Station (Nevada) to Area 52 (Nevada Test Site, Tonopah Test Range).

The Utah Test Range over the past 20+ years has been primarily fuel testing for NASA.

http://www.boeing.com/ids/news/2006/q3/060810b_nr.html

Boeing Completes Cruise Missile Test Instrumentation Kit Flight Tests

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 10, 2006 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] successfully completed the first flight tests of the Conventional Air-Launched Cruise Missile (CALCM) / Air-Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM) Test Instrumentation Kit (CATIK) Aug. 7 at the Utah Test and Training Range, Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

After launching the ALCM, configured with a simulated warhead, from a B-52 Stratofortress bomber, the U.S. Air Force used the CATIK to monitor in-flight missile performance and transmit the information to the flight test control center.

"We are very pleased with the success of this first flight," said John Griffith, Boeing ALCM/CALCM program manager. "The new CATIK will allow the Air Force to continue the flight test program through 2030."

ALCM is a self-guided weapon that carries a nuclear warhead. CALCM, designed in the 1990s, carries a conventional warhead. When launched, ALCM weapons fly to their targets using terrain correlation mapping, and CALCM weapons use Global Positioning System guidance. During flight tests, they fly a preprogrammed course over the range for approximately four hours.

Boeing will deliver the first production CATIK units in early 2007 under a contract worth approximately $38 million.

Mmmmm well I can see what you are saying but it still looks like a AGM-86 Conventional Air-Launched Cruise Missile (CALCM) to me. I guess we will never know for sure

Look at the scale. It looks like the "cruise missle" is almost 100 feet long. I know, some people will say that the scale applies to the ground and the "missle" is nearer the satellite. But those satellites are so high up (at least 200 miles), an extra 30,000 feet won't make that much of a difference in scale.

I'm more interested in how this thread has lived so long, being totally unrelated to Thailand and all that :D

EDIT D@mn, now it broke another rule (discussion of moderation issues) :o

Edited by Crossy