60 day extension of stay (married to Thai) at Chaeng Wattana

For information:

I entered the LOS with a visa exemption (VE) in February and last month obtained a 30 day extension.  Today I applied for a 60 day extension based on having a Thai wife at Chaeng Wattana.  I assume that the requirements are the same if a farang woman has a Thai husband.  Immigration officials had told me of this option when I applied for an extension last year.

The paper requirements are:

TM7 (same as for 30 day extension but ask for 60 days and mention Thai wife in reason asking for extension) with photograph;

Photocopy of passport, ID page and page with stamp stating by when must leave Kingdom;

Photocopy of TM6 (departure card)

These must all be signed by the applicant.

Photocopy of wife’s ID card.  She must be present and show the original to the IO.

Photocopy of wife’s blue residence book (in our case the address of the book and that on my application form were different.  This was noticed but our explanation was promptly accepted.)

Photocopy of marriage certificate and registration (KR2 and KR3)

The IO took a picture of us together – I am sure last year they only took one of me as for the usual 30 day extension.

Also I was asked to complete two further forms the IO produced.  One saying that I was asking to stay longer to visit my wife and the other stating the penalties for overstaying and saying a agreed to abide by them should I overstay.

I am not sure if it is simply because of the crush due to the forthcoming Sonkran holidays but there were barriers and officials managing the queue at the entrance where documents are checked.  Also the IO seemed to be more efficient than usual.  I think they are usually pretty good but one in particular (not the one who saw me) seemed to be zipping through the applications.  By lunch they had reached about 118.  My name was called to receive my passport back as soon as the lunch break was over.  Then off to lunch at a restaurant by the river in Pak Kret where the food is very good (but no AC).

What good news!  May all of your applications be accepted so smoothly.  If you plan to do one-year extensions in the future, now is the perfect time to prepare to meet the financial requirements.  You can either put a 400,000 lump sum in a bank immediately or start to transfer 40,000 monthly from a foreign source into your Thai bank account.  The transfer code in your bank book must indicate that the money is coming from a foreign source. The code that shows in my Bangkok Bank pass book is FTT.

Edited by DogNo1

Thank you.  Good advice, I think I shall opt for the lump sum approach.

You lucky man, living in Thailand and Japan two countries I like.  I know comparisons can be silly but I find that in many ways Thais are rather like the French and the Japanese similar to the English.  Perhaps as I am half English half French it explains why I particularly like these two Asian countries.