Converting a car vacuum cleaner.

james.d

I found a car vacuum cleaner (plug into cigarette lighter type) when clearing our storage room. I am basic knowledge wise when it comes to electricity but could it safely be converted to use in the house for small cleaning jobs instead of getting out the vacuum cleaner and tools?

Would I need to cut off the cigarette lighter adaptor and fit a plug?

Many thanks.

IMG_20190410_105035.jpg

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need a 12 volt DC power source of some kind. You might be able to find one that the existing plug would go into.

Have a look through a few pages here. https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=suggest_normal&location=local&page=2&q=12v adapter

Thanks UbonJoe, I think I found one. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/car-cigarette-lighter-power-adapter-12v-ac-dc-240v-2a-mains-voltage-converter-us-i129098139-s136680808.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.47.14887c32thKqLh&search=1

Lazada never came to mind.

Thanks again.

23 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Before hitting the buy button check the vac power rating.

A 120 watt 12 volt car vac would require a 220 volt to 12 volt adapter capable of delivering 10 amps.

Thank you for your info, sadly it just says 12volt on the box only so l am unsure. Will just buy a mini vacuum instead. 

Thanks again for your feedback.

46 minutes ago, james.d said:

Thank you for your info, sadly it just says 12volt on the box only so l am unsure. Will just buy a mini vacuum instead. 

Thanks again for your feedback.

If it is anything like an air compressor (the one I have) draws 5-10 amps DC.  The Lazada one says only 2 amps.  it also says up to 60W device which doesn't compute.  Whatever - you're probably best to get something that runs on 220v.

you could cut off the plug and put alligator clamps on the wires then buy a motorcycle battery and charger.  It would really be a Rube Goldberg contraption and would be better to but a battery powered  Black and Decker Dust Buster from Lazada like the one I have hanging on the wall in the kitchen!

Archived