Rivalry is fierce, but national govt remains possible

webfact

Rivalry is fierce, but national govt remains possible

xx.jpg

The tight and ferocious race to seize political control, the foreseen instability of the next administration, no matter who leads it, and the need to achieve some kind of harmony after the royal coronation have kept alive speculation that a national government may emerge in the next few weeks.

A traditional, winner-takes-all, post-election government can face all kinds of trouble. In an unlikely event that the Pheu Thai camp manages to rule, it will still face major legal uncertainties. There are legal cases and possible cases that can badly disrupt such a government’s work, namely the reopening of the old wounds of the rice-pledging controversy, charges related to the contentious prime ministerial candidacy of Princess Ubolratana, which was finally doomed, and action against the Future Forward Party and its leader.

If the pro-Prayut Palang Pracharat Party leads the new government, chances are that government will be a “minority” coalition, exposed to formidable attacks by the opposition whenever the Senate cannot help. In addition, street protests can become regular, possibly massive, and distract the new administration from what it is supposed to do, which is “serving the public”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rivalry-is-fierce-but-national-govt-remains-possible/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-04-11

12 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

What about a counter coup to prevent the impending political impasse and a new election immediately. May be the only solution. 

Am I reading this correctly? Let me read it again, and again. 

After all your hundreds of comments opposing coups and demanding elections as the only way the country should be governed...

I can only assume you are getting new directions from abroad, coming from a completely new strategy?

Lads..if you live here..best to just go with the flo imo.
Being British and a Brexiteer..you can imagine just how I feel re the majority of mp's in the house of betrayal down at westminster. Scumbags and backstabbers 95% of them.
Teresa the appeasa is the worst of the lot.
Over here..at least what you see is what you've got..nobody says you must like it..but as guests here..you can always move on
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

If the pro-Prayut Palang Pracharat Party leads the new government, chances are that government will be a “minority” coalition, exposed to formidable attacks by the opposition whenever the Senate cannot help. In addition, street protests can become regular, possibly massive, and distract the new administration from what it is supposed to do, which is “serving the public”.

In view of the above statement, it is only fitting and proper that the current, self appointed government walk away and let a new crowd take over. This would be the right thing to do if returning "happiness to the people" is a genuine concern.

Staying put would only be prolonging the agony.