Bank Account 30 Day Toyurist Visa

Hi

I will be visiting Pattaya early April on a 30 day Tourist visa. I will be 50 in December 2007 and will be retiring then in Pattaya. I would like to open a Bank Saving account on this trip ready for the required 800k for the retirement visa. The question is ''is this possible and with which bank would be the most helpful''.

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Regards

JOHN

:o

Hi

I will be visiting Pattaya early April on a 30 day Tourist visa. I will be 50 in December 2007 and will be retiring then in Pattaya. I would like to open a Bank Saving account on this trip ready for the required 800k for the retirement visa. The question is ''is this possible and with which bank would be the most helpful''.

Regards

JOHN

There has been hundreds of threads on this subject.

It is reported that in Pattaya, most banks are farang friendly and you should not have difficulties ot find a branch that accomodates your request.

Siam Commercial, Bangkok Bank and Krung Thai are the 3 that seems to get most of the votes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Just to say Good Luck. We have just had a few days in Phuket (about to leave the island today) with the idea of doing the same (opening a bank account on a tourist visa with view to retirement visa later this year). We went to Siam Commercial Bank branch in Phuket Town and was turned away at the door saying that we must be at least renting a place here. So nothing much achieved on this trip regarding a bank account. If anyone knows of another bank anywhere in Phuket that will look on us more favourably, do let us know.

in Bangkok nowadays, no bank will open an account if the Farang does not have a WORK PERMIT (not even a 1-year-multiple non-immi-B-Visa is enough anymore).

The rules changed last year, thats what BKK BANK and SCB said......

maybe in Pattaya they dont care much about "the rules".....

in Bangkok nowadays, no bank will open an account if the Farang does not have a WORK PERMIT (not even a 1-year-multiple non-immi-B-Visa is enough anymore).

The rules changed last year, thats what BKK BANK and SCB said......

maybe in Pattaya they dont care much about "the rules".....

If thisis true it is very bad news for all future retirees in Thailand as they are required by immigration to produce a bank book and a copy to extend their period of stay and they are not allowed to work as per the nature of their visa.......

Hi

Regards

JOHN

:D

We have been living over here for 9 months tried to open an account for my partner the other day was informed that must have work permit we are over 50 looking for retirement in the end got my land lord to give me copy of long term lease 6 months walked into bank with that and managed to open account can i suggest the following if u are uk resident when u are 50 apply for multy entry visa o come over to pataya rent house for 6 months with written lease go open bank account take your lease during your stay in thaland transfer funds over must be 800k leave in bank for 3 months then apply for retirement visa good luck

PS there are a lot nicer places than pataya got to sleazy for my liking

what a coincidence, just today I was able to open an account at a BKK "Bangkok Bank" - branch, thanks to the landlords of my new appartement... (a wealthy Thai-Chinese / Taiwanese - couple).

they probably do a lot of business there or have invested a lot of many with BKK-Bank, so the bank-folks couldnt refuse to open that savings-account for me, without making my helpful landlords upset.... now I finally have an account plus VISAtron-ATM card.... its only today since I am a real human being in this country :o

but that particular bank-employee made it clear, usually the rule is: No work permit, no bank account.

and it seems as they really enforce that rule in the Bangkok metropolis area....