Reasons for multiple entry visa to EU (for Thai GF)

We applied for multiple entry on the first visa application but got denied. Though we did get single entry. Her letter motivating the need was poorly and hastily written too. 

I can't move to Thailand yet as I have a company here and some projects to finish, and also I have a hard time travelling and leaving the business. So we have genuine reasons and have a successful single entry visa done this year.

How should the letter motivating the need for multiple entry visa be written? Any other reasons apart from the above that should be included?

Thanks in advance

Which EU nation? UK (for as long as it may last), Ire? Schengen? Other EU countries?

Some Schengen embassies are simply a bit conservative with issuing MEV, while others issue them pretty much by default. This is supposed to get standardised under updated Schengen rules. For now all you can do is motivate reasons for requiring a MEV: frequent trips in the foreseeable future,  a positive travel history to other (werstern) countries, I can't think of much else. Just keep ticking the 'multiple entry' box on the application form and explain your reasoning in a letter, the worst that can happen is them issueing a single entry again.

Edit: And yes with a Schengen visa you can enter, travel through and leave via any and all Schengen states. See sticky topic for more info.

Edited by Donutz

8 hours ago, Donutz said:

Which EU nation? UK (for as long as it may last), Ire? Schengen? Other EU countries?

Some Schengen embassies are simply a bit conservative with issuing MEV, while others issue them pretty much by default. This is supposed to get standardised under updated Schengen rules. For now all you can do is motivate reasons for requiring a MEV: frequent trips in the foreseeable future,  a positive travel history to other (werstern) countries, I can't think of much else. Just keep ticking the 'multiple entry' box on the application form and explain your reasoning in a letter, the worst that can happen is them issueing a single entry again.

Edit: And yes with a Schengen visa you can enter, travel through and leave via any and all Schengen states. See sticky topic for more info.

I'm in sweden. I'll ask for plenty of years then since I want to travel with her in the future ????

The first time my gf applied for a schengen visa she received a single entry for exactly the dates requested. The second time the same. The third time she received a 1 year multiple, after that twice a 2 year, and most recently she got a 4 year multiple entry visa. Always just requested a single entry though. This was at the Dutch embassy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

*facepalm* we actually did he multiple entry but not for a year. We asked for 2 months which was the duration of her visit. So they gave us multiple entry for 2 months. Might have to blame myself for not specifying in the motivating letter that we wanted a full years multiple entry beyond the 2 month trip.

• 7 months later...

Hello guys, just for informational purposes and some statistics I'll provide some data on how our third visa got acceptance.

Girlfriend has been studying specialization since after her first visit in early April. After that we got a two month visa during the summer where she had study break. She's coming here after the second and last semester of her studies. Now we applied for a third visa and asked for two years, and if not possible, one year. They gave us 1 year, good news won't have to pay for the visa again for a year. This is good news considering she hasn't been employed and is low on cash, and will find a job after this winter visit to me. On the other hand the financials I submitted prove I can pay up for 20+ times her trips and expenses. 

The letter motivating the need for the visa was simple, I just said I am finishing off some work and will sell my business and want her to visit me until I can finish off and move to Thailand. 

Edited by Anastasios