BookMan

Some interesting games this week.

Hawthorn V Sydney

WCE v St Kilda

Adelaide V GWS

North Melb v Fremantle

Port V Richmond

Thoughts anyone?

Hawks will be looking to open the Swans, but, I wonder will they be able to back up after really giving the Dees a hiding last week?

West Coast should have the oil to run over the top of St Kilda, if they were playing at the 'G maybe not so much but I think at Etihad they'll be over the line

Is it still an upset if GWS win a game this year? I'm not so sure and if it is, then this will be the upset of the round. If it was being played in Adelaide I'd say it would be an each way bet

When in doubt, go against the 'roos... But playing in WA, it wasn't really in too much doubt... That being said, the 'roos do have a good record in the West...

I think Port will be looking to be über agressive here against Richmond having been given a touch up by the Lions last week. Hard and fast footy for 3 quarters will see the Power reclaim (at least temporarily) "the Portress"..

I also think the Gold Coast v The Empire will be one to cause a bit of heart burn... If the Suns turn up to play then the could do a number on the Pies..

• Like 1

Hawthorn V Sydney

WCE v St Kilda

Adelaide V GWS

North Melb v Fremantle

Port V Richmond

Thoughts anyone?

I like Sydney in this one. Think your boys are travelling a bit better than the hawks at the minute.

I'd like to think my boys will get the choccies against the Saints.

Ade v GWS is the hardest of the round for me. Maybe GWS at home?

It's hard to pick against Freo at home but they're due to drop one.

I think Port will easily take care of Richmond.

I agree with Mr Smith, GC might cause an upset.

• Like 1

Was just a training drill for the Hawks last week they will be fresh as a dazzzzzzy

Come on guys Saints won't be a match for the Eagles in Perth I wouldn't be comfortable picking the Crows either, and we know what the Tigers can be like, not so easy after all.

Was just a training drill for the Hawks last week they will be fresh as a dazzzzzzy

Come on guys Saints won't be a match for the Eagles in Perth I wouldn't be comfortable picking the Crows either, and we know what the Tigers can be like, not so easy after all.

It isn't in Perth mate.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

It isn't in Perth mate.

Apologies if i misled anyone by not placing the home team first tongue.png

It isn't in Perth mate.

Apologies if i misled anyone by not placing the home team first tongue.png

Indeed that was in some kind of special order :P

• Like 1

Hawthorn V Sydney

WCE v St Kilda

Adelaide V GWS

North Melb v Fremantle

Port V Richmond

Thoughts anyone?

Sydney haven't quite got their act together this year...but neither has Hawthorn. Cunningham back for Sydney...So 3 speedsters in the side. Cunningham, Rohan and jetta. I'd like to see them taking on the opposition and creating some running chaos. My concern for Sydney is their ability to close down hawthorn around the top of the 50 metre arc... Haven't decided who i am back ing there

Weagles V St Kilda... West Coast to be too strong there. Smaller ground might favour St Kilda slightly.

Adelaide v GWS... GWS, based only it being their home game

North V Freo.. Freo here. The danger fro Freo is a 4th quarter freeze, North can barnstorm from behind.

Port V Rcihmond. Port to bounce back on their home ground.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Hawthorn V Sydney

WCE v St Kilda

Adelaide V GWS

North Melb v Fremantle

Port V Richmond

Thoughts anyone?

Hawthorn v Swans in Melb a big ?

WCE V St Kilda in Melbpurne a big ?

Adelaide V GWS in Sydney GWS

North Melb V Fremante in WA Freo

Port V Richmond in Adelaide Port

• Like 2

A question for the fantasy boys.

Last year you could move dual players(fwd/mid)around for one trade,this year its not avalible?

Tried today but cannot.

Lions v bombers,a chance but i wont be picking them.

I like the roos v dockers but would rather lose a pick and see roos win.tongue.png

Hawks will bounce back.

Doggies to crush demons.

Picked port but think tigers are a real chance here.

Geelong.

Adelaide's old heads to do GWS.

Eagles just.

And the pies convincingly.

Edited by farmerjo
  • Like 1

New bidding system for father-sons, academies

THE DRAFT will have an extra dimension this year after the AFL revealed its new father-son and northern academy players bidding system.

Designed to ensure clubs pay closer to market value for leading draftees, the new bidding system underwent several tweaks after the AFL proposed it to clubs in January.

The League executive put it forward to the Commission last month and it has been passed, which was confirmed on Thursday.

Under the reformed bidding system – which was developed throughout last year – each draft selection is allocated a points value on a sliding scale.

Clubs nominating a player as a father-son or academy draftee will be forced to use their existing draft selections to match the points value of the pick used by the club bidding for the player.

Click here for all the draft news

The AFL has settled on a maximum discount of 20 per cent for academy and father-son players in the first round. After that, the discount will be fixed at 197 points - the discount for pick 18.

The AFL is hopeful of having the bidding as a live element of draft night, but only if the required technology is ready for clubs to use. Statistics company Champion Data is developing an application to simplify the process for clubs and fans on the night.

If that program is not operational, a bidding meeting is still likely to be held much closer to the draft – possibly the week before or even the night before the full draft is staged and after the completion of the trade and free agency periods.

It has previously been held on the opening morning of trade period, almost eight weeks before the draft.

Club feedback to the League's initial proposal was strong that the focus should be on making things equal for top end talent, but to make it easier to attain later picks.

If a player is bid on after pick 56, then the nominating club need only use its last pick in the draft to list the player.

The discount was initially proposed to be 15 per cent discount for father-son players and 25 per cent for academy prospects, but club feedback saw the discount set at 20 per cent for both categories in their recommendation to the Commission.

Last year, Melbourne bid pick two for Isaac Heeney, which under the new system is worth 2517 points. After the 20 per cent discount, the Swans would have needed 2013 points to match the bid and move up to pick No.2.

To do that they would have used the 985 points assigned to pick 18, and the remaining 1028 points subtracted from their remaining picks.

In essence, they would have traded picks 18, 37, 38 and 57 for Heeney (at pick two) and pick 64, where their original pick 57 slid back to.

Picks 18, 37 and 38 would have remained live, but been pushed to the end of the draft.

The sophisticated system replaces the old process under which a club could bid on a nominated player and the club would only have to match the bid with its next pick.

The change is perhaps the biggest overhaul to the NAB AFL Draft since the annual player selection meeting was established, and is set to add an exciting element to the process.

It may see recruiters having to decide during the draft whether they will match another club's bid for a father-son or academy player, with the chance that some early bids will see clubs need to use multiple draft selections to claim the nominated player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-21/new-bidding-system-introduced-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

• Like 1

New bidding system for father-sons, academies

THE DRAFT will have an extra dimension this year after the AFL revealed its new father-son and northern academy players bidding system.

Designed to ensure clubs pay closer to market value for leading draftees, the new bidding system underwent several tweaks after the AFL proposed it to clubs in January.

The League executive put it forward to the Commission last month and it has been passed, which was confirmed on Thursday.

Under the reformed bidding system – which was developed throughout last year – each draft selection is allocated a points value on a sliding scale.

Clubs nominating a player as a father-son or academy draftee will be forced to use their existing draft selections to match the points value of the pick used by the club bidding for the player.

Click here for all the draft news

The AFL has settled on a maximum discount of 20 per cent for academy and father-son players in the first round. After that, the discount will be fixed at 197 points - the discount for pick 18.

The AFL is hopeful of having the bidding as a live element of draft night, but only if the required technology is ready for clubs to use. Statistics company Champion Data is developing an application to simplify the process for clubs and fans on the night.

If that program is not operational, a bidding meeting is still likely to be held much closer to the draft – possibly the week before or even the night before the full draft is staged and after the completion of the trade and free agency periods.

It has previously been held on the opening morning of trade period, almost eight weeks before the draft.

Club feedback to the League's initial proposal was strong that the focus should be on making things equal for top end talent, but to make it easier to attain later picks.

If a player is bid on after pick 56, then the nominating club need only use its last pick in the draft to list the player.

The discount was initially proposed to be 15 per cent discount for father-son players and 25 per cent for academy prospects, but club feedback saw the discount set at 20 per cent for both categories in their recommendation to the Commission.

Last year, Melbourne bid pick two for Isaac Heeney, which under the new system is worth 2517 points. After the 20 per cent discount, the Swans would have needed 2013 points to match the bid and move up to pick No.2.

To do that they would have used the 985 points assigned to pick 18, and the remaining 1028 points subtracted from their remaining picks.

In essence, they would have traded picks 18, 37, 38 and 57 for Heeney (at pick two) and pick 64, where their original pick 57 slid back to.

Picks 18, 37 and 38 would have remained live, but been pushed to the end of the draft.

The sophisticated system replaces the old process under which a club could bid on a nominated player and the club would only have to match the bid with its next pick.

The change is perhaps the biggest overhaul to the NAB AFL Draft since the annual player selection meeting was established, and is set to add an exciting element to the process.

It may see recruiters having to decide during the draft whether they will match another club's bid for a father-son or academy player, with the chance that some early bids will see clubs need to use multiple draft selections to claim the nominated player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-21/new-bidding-system-introduced-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

Clearly a move to appease Emperor McGuire but also a good way for the teams that have strong academies and strong father/son prospects in the same draft to do away with otherwise useless back end draft picks...

It'll mostly affect Brisbane / Gold Coast / GWS / Sydney - as it's designed to do but I can already see Kinnear Beatson and Tom Harley already crunching the numbers for the Swans, hopefully this year won't see them crunching those numbers with their hands behind their backs..

• Like 2

A question for the fantasy boys.

Last year you could move dual players(fwd/mid)around for one trade,this year its not avalible?

Tried today but cannot.

You mean trading a player out and bringing in a new one or just shuffling the cards (so to speak)?

If trading out old for new, you need to make sure the DPP you're trading out is in the same area (def/mid/ruc/fwd) as the player you're trading in.

So you can't trade out a DPP (fwd/mid) from your fwd line for a single position midfielder unless the DPP is in your midfield..

Hope that makes sense?

Clearly a move to appease Emperor McGuire but also a good way for the teams that have strong academies and strong father/son prospects in the same draft to do away with otherwise useless back end draft picks...

It'll mostly affect Brisbane / Gold Coast / GWS / Sydney - as it's designed to do but I can already see Kinnear Beatson and Tom Harley already crunching the numbers for the Swans, hopefully this year won't see them crunching those numbers with their hands behind their backs..

There's a simple way to get Eddie and Co off of your backs guys.

Stop playing in finals, especially GF's for a whilesmile.png

• Like 2

There's a simple way to get Eddie and Co off of your backs guys.

Stop playing in finals, especially GF's for a whilesmile.png

Heeney himself admits he wouldn't have played AFL were it not for the Swans academy.

The new system is fair and transparent for all. I don't have a problem with it

One unintended consequence could be where clubs make a bid for a player another club is sure to want/take, purely to force a rival club to use up their points early on in the draft

In the case of a Heeney. Say Sydney have pick 16-18. Collingwood could bid for him with an early pick, with no real intention of wanting him. That then forces Sydney (or whoever) to use their trump card early, with the resultant loss of points/picks in the new system.

Sydney have had and still have a good set of systems in place to identify fringe or lesser wanted players and develop them into playing Gold. They tend to move on the ones who don't work out to Collingwood or St Kilda fairly quickly.

• Like 1

Heeney himself admits he wouldn't have played AFL were it not for the Swans academy.

The new system is fair and transparent for all. I don't have a problem with it

One unintended consequence could be where clubs make a bid for a player another club is sure to want/take, purely to force a rival club to use up their points early on in the draft

In the case of a Heeney. Say Sydney have pick 16-18. Collingwood could bid for him with an early pick, with no real intention of wanting him. That then forces Sydney (or whoever) to use their trump card early, with the resultant loss of points/picks in the new system.

Sydney have had and still have a good set of systems in place to identify fringe or lesser wanted players and develop them into playing Gold. They tend to move on the ones who don't work out to Collingwood or St Kilda fairly quickly.

This will be the 'gamble' clubs take, take this years draft for example, the Swans have 2 gun rookies who'll (most likely) be nominating for the draft. 1 is an academy player (Callum Mills tipped to go early like Heeney) and the other a father/son pick Josh Dunkley (Andrew Dunkley's young fella)...

Now the interesting thing here that Josh hasn't committed to being a father/son pick for the Swans. It's interesting due to the "history" between Dunks and the club. There was a bit of bad blood between him and Roosey after Roosey delisted Dunks and he hasn't been back to the club since!

His old man had said that he'd prefer Josh stay in Victoria and get drafted on his own merits and not off his back...

Giving it a bit more thought, I don't think this new system will hurt Brisbane too much this year or the next, they'll be duking it out with Carlton for the #1 pick for a few years yet...

• Like 1

I would say bye bye Mick

A Carlton press conference is being organised at the moment.

I say leave him there till they have played the roos.sad.png

Laidley to take over?

I hope he will be there next week They play the Swans I doubt he will be.

• Like 2

I would say bye bye Mick

A Carlton press conference is being organised at the moment.

If he survives the week, I doubt he'll survive after the Swans game.

I can see the Swans belting them by 100 plus.

• Like 2

That geeelong v Carlton game was a terrble waste of my Friday evening and my 175gram allowance of Salt n Vinegar chips

Don't worry BookMan, I think they only have another 3 Friday night games to gorolleyes.gif

• Like 1

That geeelong v Carlton game was a terrble waste of my Friday evening and my 175gram allowance of Salt n Vinegar chips

Don't worry BookMan, I think they only have another 3 Friday night games to gorolleyes.gif

Shame isn't it?

• Like 1

Ripper first Q Swans V Hawthorn...

I changed my Tip to hawthorn half an hour before the game facepalm.gif

If Hawthorn had kicked straight they would be in front. Good comeback in 2nd quarter. Swans up by 13 points at halftime. I stayed with the Swans. I can only hope

• Like 1