Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

3 got 3 out of 3 so far this round...including me thumbsup.gif ...you really should talk to me if you want pick the Dee's....

Never in 2 million light years would i pick the Dee"s against the Bombers, they have a habit of belting us up, make us look ordinary, what ever, and further more if we get any press....well thats an omen too, Roos and players should stop giving interviews.

Bloody boys did make me sweat in that final term.....rolleyes.gif

Collingwood and Melbourne could both have easily gone the other way.

I'll stick with the Doggies for this one. I think they have been down on form, despite winning, and they will bounce back this game.

3 got 3 out of 3 so far this round...including me thumbsup.gif ...you really should talk to me if you want pick the Dee's....

Never in 2 million light years would i pick the Dee"s against the Bombers, they have a habit of belting us up, make us look ordinary, what ever, and further more if we get any press....well thats an omen too, Roos and players should stop giving interviews.

Bloody boys did make me sweat in that final term.....rolleyes.gif

Collingwood and Melbourne could both have easily gone the other way.

I'll stick with the Doggies for this one. I think they have been down on form, despite winning, and they will bounce back this game.

oh, C.rap! The Suns kick 2 goals in the first minute...

Have faith my man....one win don't make a comeback....and 2 quick goals is only a few min of the game, your rattled old bean, you need some smooooooooth whisky so get on over here.

Ive picked the Dogs to i think.....yep just checked i did, feel better now? even they 3 goals to ZERO.

Ummm one week at a time and still time to pick up on the leaders.....play the mind game....gigglem.gif

• Like 1

I am glad this week is over.

This week the winner is Will27 with 8/9. Excellent tipping. Overall leader is still Carnegie Joe on 90 with Will27 2nd on 89.

Holy toledo!

KhunWilly Wonka back from the dead! clap2.gif Magnificent effort

I think that is me shot for the year lads...

I changed North and backed Geelong

I changed GWS and backed St Kilda..

Don't get me started..

Backed myself in for too many upsets.. Collingwood, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Melbourne, St Kilda and Geelong...

Next week is going to be a <deleted> doozie that's for sure, is Chimpy still consulting BM?

• Like 2

In other news, the MRP is going to have its work cut out this week..

Ban Fyfe and Mitchell or find a loophole, like a missed bit of vision or something creative..

I'm guessing Brownlow betting will be suspended tomorrow morning pending the release of the MRP decisions.

• Like 1

I am glad this week is over.

This week the winner is Will27 with 8/9. Excellent tipping. Overall leader is still Carnegie Joe on 90 with Will27 2nd on 89.

Holy toledo!

KhunWilly Wonka back from the dead! clap2.gif Magnificent effort

I think that is me shot for the year lads...

I changed North and backed Geelong

I changed GWS and backed St Kilda..

Don't get me started..

Backed myself in for too many upsets.. Collingwood, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Melbourne, St Kilda and Geelong...

Next week is going to be a <deleted> doozie that's for sure, is Chimpy still consulting BM?

My mistake was to NOT consult Chimpy, GS.

I'm handing over all tipping duties to Chimps for the next month.

If Chimpy needs me I'll be down in Soi Cowboy checking out the alternative form guide

• Like 2

In other news, the MRP is going to have its work cut out this week..

Ban Fyfe and Mitchell or find a loophole, like a missed bit of vision or something creative..

I'm guessing Brownlow betting will be suspended tomorrow morning pending the release of the MRP decisions.

Loophole it would be.

Because Fyfe was not reported, does that mean even if he gets an MRP ban it would not affect his Brownlow?

Mitchell's was definitely deliberate and seems to be a tactic he is developing. The MRP should give a on match suspension to deters others, but I am guessing, with the MRP Hawks connection, he gets off with a chuckle and a nod and wink

Edited by BookMan

Thanks gents, it's only taken me 15 rounds to jag a win.

I saw your score BookMan and wondered what happened.

North murder you even when you don't pick themtongue.png

Still 8 rounds to go BookMan.

Some real tricky ones next week as well.

Gee/WB

GC/GWS

ADE/Port

Coll/WCE

Syd/haw and

ST/Rich

all i need is 4 straight weeks of 9/9. Have i mentioned my 2013 form before? whistling.gif

Sydney were awful against Brisbane. So many unforced turnovers; poor handballs, poor kicking, poor effort. Hawthorn is going to smash them next week. I expect Buddy to have a good game though. in a humiliating loss.

That leads to the week after and West Coast. Should Sydney lose to West Coast they could be in the poo-poo come top 4 finals time.

West Coast of course are looking like a lock for a top 2, maybe even leapfrogging Freo?

Gee/WB

GC/GWS

ADE/Port

Coll/WCE

Syd/haw and

ST/Rich

all i need is 4 straight weeks of 9/9. Have i mentioned my 2013 form before? whistling.gif

Sydney were awful against Brisbane. So many unforced turnovers; poor handballs, poor kicking, poor effort. Hawthorn is going to smash them next week. I expect Buddy to have a good game though. in a humiliating loss.

That leads to the week after and West Coast. Should Sydney lose to West Coast they could be in the poo-poo come top 4 finals time.

West Coast of course are looking like a lock for a top 2, maybe even leapfrogging Freo?

I thought Sydney were dreadful as well. It's just hard to "be up" all of the time I guess, Freo being an example.

I really don't know how WC will go against Coll this weekend. Coll have lost their last 3 but have been pretty good

if that makes sense.

On current form, WC and hawthorn are probably the form sides of the comp. WC have been a great surprise but in

order to be considered a real threat, we have to beat one of the "big boys", Freo, Syd or hawthorn who we all play (at home)

in the next 5 weeks.

Sydeny will be setting themselves for a big one in Syd next week, I'm not writing them off.

• Like 1

Loophole it would be.

Because Fyfe was not reported, does that mean even if he gets an MRP ban it would not affect his Brownlow?

Mitchell's was definitely deliberate and seems to be a tactic he is developing. The MRP should give a on match suspension to deters others, but I am guessing, with the MRP Hawks connection, he gets off with a chuckle and a nod and wink

A suspension is a suspension, if he gets banned (the only exception to that rule is Cyril :P), which is looking increasingly likely even if not for the high shot on Duryea. He's also likely to get a fine for another incident apparently in yesterday's match, which, if he gets a fine for the high shot as well will make it 3 fines which is now an automatic 1 week.

Robbo reckons that Fyfe will be safe, which appears to probably mean that he'll get a week for the Duryea thing given his recent form on picking what the MRP hands down :P

Tex Walker summed up Mitchell's action last night: "Lightning has struck twice", he has to get a week on the bench for that. It's deliberate action, which he's previously defended as saying he's bracing himself. Once you can probably say ok the benefit of the doubt, but again a few weeks later?

Loophole it would be.

A suspension is a suspension, if he gets banned (the only exception to that rule is Cyril tongue.png), which is looking increasingly likely even if not for the high shot on Duryea. He's also likely to get a fine for another incident apparently in yesterday's match, which, if he gets a fine for the high shot as well will make it 3 fines which is now an automatic 1 week.

Robbo reckons that Fyfe will be safe, which appears to probably mean that he'll get a week for the Duryea thing given his recent form on picking what the MRP hands down tongue.png

Tex Walker summed up Mitchell's action last night: "Lightning has struck twice", he has to get a week on the bench for that. It's deliberate action, which he's previously defended as saying he's bracing himself. Once you can probably say ok the benefit of the doubt, but again a few weeks later?

Cannot agree with you about suspending Fyfe Mr Smith. The clumsy spoiling attempt is only a 50 meter penalty all day long.

The knee was silly and the ump gave a free. Insufficient force for a report methinks.

Gibson might get a week for his hit on De Boar.

Agree with BookMan, Mitchell should get a week as a deterrent.

post-69328-0-82785300-1436763153_thumb.j

Loophole it would be.

A suspension is a suspension, if he gets banned (the only exception to that rule is Cyril tongue.png), which is looking increasingly likely even if not for the high shot on Duryea. He's also likely to get a fine for another incident apparently in yesterday's match, which, if he gets a fine for the high shot as well will make it 3 fines which is now an automatic 1 week.

Robbo reckons that Fyfe will be safe, which appears to probably mean that he'll get a week for the Duryea thing given his recent form on picking what the MRP hands down tongue.png

Cannot agree with you about suspending Fyfe Mr Smith. The clumsy spoiling attempt is only a 50 meter penalty all day long.

The knee was silly and the ump gave a free. Insufficient force for a report methinks.

Gibson might get a week for his hit on De Boar.

Agree with BookMan, Mitchell should get a week as a deterrent.

Tippett got 2 down to 1 for the same thing. It's going to come down to the consistency of the MRP which we all know is non-existent...

Gibson could go either way, won't complain if he gets a week but won't begrudge the MRP if the fine him... Would've been great to see Hodgey do something stupid that would've got him a week on the bench too :P

Good to the MRP again showing its interpretation of "consistency" is in tact...

Fyfe gets a fine, he was cleared of the kneeing incident, one more fine and he's done...

Mitchell also given a fine...

Howe cleared of a sling tackle on Browne, MRP deemed that his arms weren't pinned and that the tackle itself was not unreasonable given the circumstances... In other news Bryce Gibbs has been ruled out for the season after suffering a brain explosion pectorial injury.

Gibson didn't rate a mention...

Taylor Adams and Ty Vickery out for 2 weeks for their respective on field indiscretions..

Selwood 2 down to 1 for his chicken wing..

Drew Petrie 2 down to 1 for a punch up with Andrew Mackie...

• Like 1

Good to the MRP again showing its interpretation of "consistency" is in tact...

Fyfe gets a fine, he was cleared of the kneeing incident, one more fine and he's done...

Mitchell also given a fine...

Howe cleared of a sling tackle on Browne, MRP deemed that his arms weren't pinned and that the tackle itself was not unreasonable given the circumstances... In other news Bryce Gibbs has been ruled out for the season after suffering a brain explosion pectorial injury.

Gibson didn't rate a mention...

Taylor Adams and Ty Vickery out for 2 weeks for their respective on field indiscretions..

Selwood 2 down to 1 for his chicken wing..

Drew Petrie 2 down to 1 for a punch up with Andrew Mackie...

I'm surprised Gibson's didn't even get looked at. Glad that Fyfe only got a fine although I was

hoping he didn't get anything.

I thought Vickery got what he deserved but thought Taylor Adams might've got 4 down to 3

as it was a dog act IMO.

Selwood about right and I didn't see Petrie's punch or howe's tackle.

Gee/WB

GC/GWS

ADE/Port

Coll/WCE

Syd/haw and

ST/Rich

Actually, if Sydney were awful at least they managed to make Brizzie look good for much of the game.

When I saw the Sydney players run out on to the field I thought Brobdingnag had come to the Gabba. the Brisbane guys were Lilliputian by comparison. I expected a walloping and, although that didn't happen, it was the billionaire Brobdingnagians who saved the day for South.

That was the last of my three day-games membership for this season. Not sure if I'll sign up again next year. My seat at the Gabba is magic, but AFL games just go on for too long. If rugby league and rugby union games can be completed in 80 minutes, and soccer for 90, why does AFL need around 120 minutes plus drawn out quarter and half time breaks? It's too long an afternoon for an old codger like me. Also, the Gabba food is crap and grossly over-priced.

One thing that pleased me, having been in the US for a few weeks and out of touch, was to see that the Lions now have some men in the team to replace the lost boys we've been blooding all season. Tom Rockliff's back and so is Daniel Merritt and Pearce Handley. Even Brent Staker has re-emerged and would have made a difference if he'd kicked straight.

There seems to be general agreement that the Lions are improving. They should be very good in the off-season.

• Like 1

Read this in the age this morning regarding soccer and rule changes....something the TINKER league of Australia should read, i was always left shaking my head when the AFL changed rules when Sheedy's Bombers used defensive tactics to slow down the mighty Blues in the 80's going from 15m penalties to 50m and there never stopped tinkering....please AFL allow the coaches and players to come up with countering initiatives and let the game develop in a natural way.

There are few sports in the world that change the rules as rarely as soccer. The global game's popularity rests, in part, on its simplicity.

There is one set of rules which operate around the planet. There are no variations, no special cases, although there are, often enough, local interpretations that can make visiting teams in international competitions sometimes wonder if they are playing the same game!

But there are no rules committees meeting regularly to speed up the game, slow down the game, make it less physical, make it more physical, make it more attacking, make it less defensive.

Of course, there are concerns at times about the way the game is going, especially when there are periods when defences get on top and matches, especially the high-profile ones, are characterised by a dour approach which yields few goals.

Advertisement

But soccer, wisely, largely sits on its hands and trusts the skills and techniques of its players and coaches to find a way around any problem.

Soccer evolves rather than radicalises.

The off-side rule is a case in point. It was originally written into the Laws of the Game in 1866. It was changed in 1925, when instead of an attacking player having to have three players in front of him when he received the ball he was only required to have two. But that was substantially that.

The only other real change was in 1990, when the attacking player was required to be level, rather than in front of, the second last opponent. Like the first rule change, it was designed to encourage more free flowing play. But the gradual nature of the sport's change is perfectly illustrated – two changes in the past 149 years to perhaps its most important rule.

The game trusts its players to develop tactics to beat new innovations.

A stifling midfield and a blanket defence? Play wide men, stretch the pitch and develop players whose technical ability allows them to keep possession and create openings in tight areas.

Barcelona regularly play opponents who try to shut the game down, but no one calls for a rule change. Instead the Catalans develop players like Messi, Iniesta and Xavi and a tactical approach that allows them to break down such blanket defence whenever it presents itself.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/stoppages-soccer-evolves-tactics-rather-than-force-change-20150714-gic4z3.html#ixzz3fuTo7HSr

• Like 1