Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Does anyone know who won the toss in the Melbourne V Bulldog and Gold Cost V Essendon games?

In the others games Adelaide, Saints, Brisbane and GWS all won the toss of the coin and won. I wish I had followed my advice to Grant. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Does anyone know who won the toss in the Melbourne V Bulldog and Gold Cost V Essendon games?

In the others games Adelaide, Saints, Brisbane and GWS all won the toss of the coin and won. I wish I had followed my advice to Grant. 

You're no the Lone Ranger there mate.

Alex and Grant leading the way so far this round.

A few games today that could go either way as well.

I see Richmond continued their good form away from the G?

Well done Will. It has been very quiet this week.

Not even an update on the Fantasy side

I have noticed that Chook has not even submitted his tips for the last 2 rounds. Must be too busy in the new occupation.

The Swans have really shot themselves in the foot after leading by 31 points at quarter time and losing by 24. Well done GC and the coach Stuart Dew. Always good to get a win over the old boss

• Like 2

Im still in shock.......had the game by the nakkers......couple of scratch your head goals to the pussys and you wonder whats going on.....demon clearly in line with pussy player running alongside the exact moment the free was given and its a 50 and goal....unbelievable.....then no one knows but ump that Dangerfield is going up for the ruck...what a balls up...how about letting the other team know...and another goal...

You would not have had it all to yourself master WILL....

• Like 1

Well Farmer Jo has dropped the ball with updating the brothers on Fantasy....though he's doing very well indeed and im sure Grant is indeed relived that he no longer is Brother Number 1 on the rock charts....

Fj 2381 and in ripping form takes down the evergreen Grant 2198 the also swap paces on the ladder and Grant hands the flappable Jo the poison Chalice full off arsenic and rat poison with a touch of vanilla essence and peppermint....for the after taste...

Chooks 2108 just not good enough for the Dee's 2320, and there i was thus night and overlooked everything....then problems on getting home from work sitting at my brothers house @7.10 when a little birdie tapped me on my shoulder and reminded me of fantasy and tipping....oh dear i do not like to do anything from my phone but use as a phone had to log in and do the tips and fantasy....in such a fluster and the small screen settled on one change only and hoped for the best....

Rip 1939 cruises along very nicely over NN 792 who are very consistent with scoring in the 700's...

Round 19 sees 

Fj vs the D Dee's on current form Jo will stay Brother Number 1 ...if wins will have the new nick name Pol Potter..

Grant gets and easy one vs NN and hopes i loose.....casue we dont want to be No1....

Crook Vs Rip in a Chinese one...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

no one knows but ump that Dangerfield is going up for the ruck...what a balls up...how about letting the other team know...and another goal...

Doesn't matter if Danger was rucking, roving,  marking or chasing a loose ball.   Brayshaw was blocking his run and the ball was more than five metres away.   Free kick correctly awarded.

15.4.2 Shepherd

A Shepherd is using the body to push, bump or block: (a) a Player who does not have possession of the football and who is no further than 5 metres away from the football at the time when the push, bump or block occurs; and (b) where such contact is otherwise not Prohibited Contact under Law 15.4.5.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5,

a Player may make contact with another Player: (a) by using their hip, shoulder, chest, arms or open hands provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; (b) by pushing the other Player with an open hand in the chest or side of the body provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; (c) by executing a Correct Tackle; (d) by executing a Shepherd provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; or (e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

DinzwwCV4AIABZB.jpg

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

Doesn't matter if Danger was rucking, roving,  marking or chasing a loose ball.   Brayshaw was blocking his run and the ball was more than five metres away.   Free kick correctly awarded.

The free kick was technically there.

I don't like the nomination rule though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Radar501 said:

15.4.2 Shepherd

A Shepherd is using the body to push, bump or block: (a) a Player who does not have possession of the football and who is no further than 5 metres away from the football at the time when the push, bump or block occurs; and (b) where such contact is otherwise not Prohibited Contact under Law 15.4.5.

15.4.3 Permitted Contact Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5,

a Player may make contact with another Player: (a) by using their hip, shoulder, chest, arms or open hands provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; (b) by pushing the other Player with an open hand in the chest or side of the body provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; (c) by executing a Correct Tackle; (d) by executing a Shepherd provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away from the Player; or (e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

DinzwwCV4AIABZB.jpg

What about the 50 given that ended up a goal from a free, it was awarded because a dee player was 1.5m meters away running back into defence and trying to get around the kicker who was at the same time running backwards, the free was awarded at the very moment the player was running back... i seen the vid in one of the online papers...stupid decision based what? some common sense please...i dont normaly carry on about umpires but this cost us a tight game..

Edited by AlexRRR

The AFL got to give up on tinkering with the god dam rules, glad most of the coaches are negative to the latest, the flooding of forward zones etc will get worked out eventually by when a new smart ass coach comes up with a new way of doing things...

Its no surprise the Demons changed there style to have the most entries into the 50 and a few other high stats, its handball heaven just as Barassi told the Blues when looking down the barrel of hugh grand final loss against the Pies in years so far back most here would rather not recall...except for the golden oldie hits...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/dangerfield-free-kick-not-in-the-spirit-of-the-game-20180723-p4zt3n.html

Read that Radar....Mids often block "get in the way" etc.

Cant find the vid of the free where the dee player is running parallel to the cat player running backwards ...clearly showed the free awarded at the very same time the demon player running towards defence...ping its 50 and a goal.

Ps for years and years Hawks have been getting away with bumps shepherding and blocking especially in defence, a one Alan Jeans introduced it along with round ball tactics of keeping the ball and kicking backwards as well as across the ground, i did see many Hawk's games at Princess Park back in the 80's.

Edited by AlexRRR

Glad to see that sanity prevailed by the MRO for a change and our captain got off.

This twitter by Titus O'Reily pretty much sums up my feelings about it.

Titus O'Reily‏ @TitusOReily 18h18 hours ago

Shannon Hurn has been cleared of standing on a football field.

• Like 2

I thought this article in The Roar was very good.

State of the game? It’s the state of the football media that’s the problem

All the talk about football this year has focussed on what’s wrong. A lot is right, a fact which was confirmed in a weekend of upsets and ladder-shattering results.

This is a vent that has been building for some time, and one which may edge away from the rational, measured takes you (hopefully) expect from this column.

Over the past week or two, I have felt a shift in the public mood towards the way the Australian Football League is being covered by many elements of the mainstream media

Football fans are growing tired of the usual tropes.

The ex-player whinging the “game” isn’t as great as it was in their day.

The play by play commentator that doesn’t know the names of players – or feels compelled to editorialise instead of call the game.

The radio host throwing mud at the wall hoping it sticks.

The columnist using their inches to score points over coaches and administrators.

The journalist trying to create takes so hot they melt our smartphones.

Take the past week for example. Malcolm Blight said anyone that doesn’t think “the game” needs to be changed should be sent to the unemployment line.

Channel Seven’s commentary team couldn’t tell the difference between Neville Jetta and Jay Kennedy-Harris on Saturday night.

Sam McClure bought up the 17-5 fixture again for some reason, despite this being the worst possible season for such a system to exist.

Damian Barrett took a petty shot at Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge who had the gall to defend Tom Boyd from Barrett’s either clumsily worded or veiled shot at him from a week prior.

Mitch Cleary said Gold Coast would be pretty flat in November if their first win for three months saw them slide from pick three to pick four in the draft.

It’s a jungle out there folks. And there’s a common thread linking most of those people together, but that’s another vent for another day.

The general “takeification” of the AFL isn’t a new development. As an avid user of both Twitter and Reddit, I have seen frustrations at particular people or media outlets for some time.

Indeed they are in some ways the bane of my football fandom. For instance, I rarely listen to in-game commentary for games produced by Channel Seven anymore because I can’t stand it. It actively frustrates me.

However they seem to me to have been more of a fringe view. Something appears to have changed this year to take these feelings mainstream.

The disconnect between what is unfolding on the field and on the ladder and what is covered in the papers, TV panel shows, radio stations and digital sites has grown extraordinarily large in 2018.

All many elements of the football media want to talk about is the “state of the game” and what the AFL is apparently doing to fix it.

It could be because most of the football media exists in the following Venn diagram circles:

– Is an ex-player
– Works for major commercial live rights holders Crocmedia, News Limited or SevenWest Media
– Works across multiple platforms – TV, radio, print and online

Layer on top the AFL’s various means for gathering feedback on its performance. The league measures itself on TV and radio ratings (the total viewership of the league is in bolded size 50 font on the first page of the AFL’s 2017 annual report), the feedback from committees and forums, and how it is received in the media.

The league’s tastemakers are also the league’s most direct line of feedback on its performance. They are also the league’s primary source of revenue, a fact which cannot be lost in this “state of the game” talk that has dogged the AFL in 2018.

It leaves one wondering: in its drive to address the supposed decline in the “state of the game”, is the AFL caught in a negative feedback loop perpetuated by the structure of the league’s media coverage?

Has the AFL painted itself into a corner by jumping at the shadow of the “lowest scoring round of football since 1968” headline from earlier in the season?

Did the AFL’s fixturing team score an almighty own goal with its slate of Friday night and Saturday night games in 2018?

I am yet to see any research or commentary that shows there are any fundamental issue the fans – the ultimate paymasters of the league be it directly through ticket sales or indirectly by the time their eyeballs spend watching the footy – have expressed en masse about the state of football in 2018. A tweet from @auzziepatriot176 or talkback call from Mick from Broadmeadows doesn’t count.

Equally, I fear some in powerful positions in our game have forgotten what sport, and this particular sport, is all about. And they are letting it cloud their coverage of the game.

Tim Worner wants more goals, because “the 30 second after a goal are the most valuable 30 seconds in Australia” (or was that the 30 seconds after a Test match over? It’s one of the two I guess Mr Worner).

Ergo we need more goals, because more goals means more valuable advertising real estate.

Mind, SevenWest Media can’t get anything bar football, news and the Royal Wedding to rate in 2018, so perhaps they aren’t the best judge of what makes compelling TV viewing.

If sport is about competition, and passion, and the any given Sunday philosophy, one cannot understand how anybody could sit 18 rounds into this particular AFL season and be anything but satisfied.

Fourth and 12th are separated by two games on the ladder. Every spot in the top four is wide open with five games remaining.

Brisbane, long the AFL’s problem child, is putting it together (and isn’t that fantastic). The small ball GWS Giants are adding an element of chaos to the run home we didn’t expect.

Games are being decided after the siren. The football is compelling when two evenly matched teams go at it. Honestly, what more could you want?

A couple of extra goals a game apparently. Because the media, and its tangled web of conflicts of interest, wants more goals.

And that’s worth potentially altering the fabric of Australia’s own game of football which has broadly stood the test of time for over 150 years.I fear this maelstrom of the media’s making is going to consume us all.

It seems to be exasperating more and more football fans by the week. On one hand, our hearts and our heads are telling us the competition is healthy; our media is telling us the competition is broken and nothing short of surgical intervention will do. It needn’t be this way.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and his second in charge Steve Hocking are reportedly scheduled to meet today to talk about Hocking’s work on the “state of the game”.

They should instead be talking about the state of the football media, and what they can do about that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Those Mids who often block "get in the way" should be penalised as per the rules of the game.   So don't use that flimsy reason for calling out the umpire who correctly payed a freekick against Brayshaw.

11 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

i dont normaly carry on about umpires but this cost us a tight game..

The blocking free and the 50 metre penaly both occurred in the first half.   Yet, Melbourne was 29 points up (I think it was) into the final quarter and still managed to toss the game.

It is human nature to blame circumstances beyond one's control for one's failures, but the umpires did not cost you this game.   If any Melbourne players choose to dwell on that for the loss, then the precious snowflakes need to man up.

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Hey Alex, how did you make bail?  That was you I saw on the T.V down at the cater wasn't it.

Not me ex officer.......im to timid to get arrested, but once when I was 18 I had a ride in the back of a paddy wagon, along with 2 other mates and said officers threw than van around the corners to make sure we got rolled around.....its part of the torture, once inside the Preston station house we were made to sit on the floor in different corners just like school days....oh we got off and had the other guys charged once they seen our bruises...

8 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Those Mids who often block "get in the way" should be penalised as per the rules of the game.   So don't use that flimsy reason for calling out the umpire who correctly payed a freekick against Brayshaw.

The blocking free and the 50 metre penaly both occurred in the first half.   Yet, Melbourne was 29 points up (I think it was) into the final quarter and still managed to toss the game.

It is human nature to blame circumstances beyond one's control for one's failures, but the umpires did not cost you this game.   If any Melbourne players choose to dwell on that for the loss, then the precious snowflakes need to man up.

Not dwelling.......was a great game but decisions right or wrong changes the course of the game, in the end in a tight contest what happened an hour before comes into play...cause and affect,  dropping a stone in the puddle here caused a wave over there...The Brashaw one is there though unfair if Dangerfield wasn't the designated ruckman he would not have got pinged as they dont often pay blocking, the other was defiantly incorrect out right stupidity by an umpire who should have realised the Demon had absolutely no time to move away...well he was trying to move away just so happened the Cat player was running in line with him...very bad decision....

This Loss wasn't good for the Demons we are not mentally tough enough yet to go far, the win would have spurred  us on we are not there yet as a club where we will come out and win every game to the end of the season because of this loss...it could cost us a place the 8, cause and affect but we wont know until the last game..

Ho we out played the Cats for most of the game, we were better, showed more class, its just that they have a few proven hardened experienced campaigners who know how to get it done when it gets tight...

Lets talk about your team Radar........I though the Dee's were the worst ever....a few years ago....you guys now take the mantel.....of course me going through 8 years of misery can offer you some comfort but I wont.........glad its your club not mine....sim salsa bin laden...

31 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I thought this article in The Roar was very good.

State of the game? It’s the state of the football media that’s the problem

All the talk about football this year has focussed on what’s wrong. A lot is right, a fact which was confirmed in a weekend of upsets and ladder-shattering results.

This is a vent that has been building for some time, and one which may edge away from the rational, measured takes you (hopefully) expect from this column.

Over the past week or two, I have felt a shift in the public mood towards the way the Australian Football League is being covered by many elements of the mainstream media

Football fans are growing tired of the usual tropes.

The ex-player whinging the “game” isn’t as great as it was in their day.

The play by play commentator that doesn’t know the names of players – or feels compelled to editorialise instead of call the game.

The radio host throwing mud at the wall hoping it sticks.

The columnist using their inches to score points over coaches and administrators.

The journalist trying to create takes so hot they melt our smartphones.

Take the past week for example. Malcolm Blight said anyone that doesn’t think “the game” needs to be changed should be sent to the unemployment line.

Channel Seven’s commentary team couldn’t tell the difference between Neville Jetta and Jay Kennedy-Harris on Saturday night.

Sam McClure bought up the 17-5 fixture again for some reason, despite this being the worst possible season for such a system to exist.

Damian Barrett took a petty shot at Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge who had the gall to defend Tom Boyd from Barrett’s either clumsily worded or veiled shot at him from a week prior.

Mitch Cleary said Gold Coast would be pretty flat in November if their first win for three months saw them slide from pick three to pick four in the draft.

It’s a jungle out there folks. And there’s a common thread linking most of those people together, but that’s another vent for another day.

The general “takeification” of the AFL isn’t a new development. As an avid user of both Twitter and Reddit, I have seen frustrations at particular people or media outlets for some time.

Indeed they are in some ways the bane of my football fandom. For instance, I rarely listen to in-game commentary for games produced by Channel Seven anymore because I can’t stand it. It actively frustrates me.

However they seem to me to have been more of a fringe view. Something appears to have changed this year to take these feelings mainstream.

The disconnect between what is unfolding on the field and on the ladder and what is covered in the papers, TV panel shows, radio stations and digital sites has grown extraordinarily large in 2018.

All many elements of the football media want to talk about is the “state of the game” and what the AFL is apparently doing to fix it.

It could be because most of the football media exists in the following Venn diagram circles:

– Is an ex-player
– Works for major commercial live rights holders Crocmedia, News Limited or SevenWest Media
– Works across multiple platforms – TV, radio, print and online

Layer on top the AFL’s various means for gathering feedback on its performance. The league measures itself on TV and radio ratings (the total viewership of the league is in bolded size 50 font on the first page of the AFL’s 2017 annual report), the feedback from committees and forums, and how it is received in the media.

The league’s tastemakers are also the league’s most direct line of feedback on its performance. They are also the league’s primary source of revenue, a fact which cannot be lost in this “state of the game” talk that has dogged the AFL in 2018.

It leaves one wondering: in its drive to address the supposed decline in the “state of the game”, is the AFL caught in a negative feedback loop perpetuated by the structure of the league’s media coverage?

Has the AFL painted itself into a corner by jumping at the shadow of the “lowest scoring round of football since 1968” headline from earlier in the season?

Did the AFL’s fixturing team score an almighty own goal with its slate of Friday night and Saturday night games in 2018?

I am yet to see any research or commentary that shows there are any fundamental issue the fans – the ultimate paymasters of the league be it directly through ticket sales or indirectly by the time their eyeballs spend watching the footy – have expressed en masse about the state of football in 2018. A tweet from @auzziepatriot176 or talkback call from Mick from Broadmeadows doesn’t count.

Equally, I fear some in powerful positions in our game have forgotten what sport, and this particular sport, is all about. And they are letting it cloud their coverage of the game.

Tim Worner wants more goals, because “the 30 second after a goal are the most valuable 30 seconds in Australia” (or was that the 30 seconds after a Test match over? It’s one of the two I guess Mr Worner).

Ergo we need more goals, because more goals means more valuable advertising real estate.

Mind, SevenWest Media can’t get anything bar football, news and the Royal Wedding to rate in 2018, so perhaps they aren’t the best judge of what makes compelling TV viewing.

If sport is about competition, and passion, and the any given Sunday philosophy, one cannot understand how anybody could sit 18 rounds into this particular AFL season and be anything but satisfied.

Fourth and 12th are separated by two games on the ladder. Every spot in the top four is wide open with five games remaining.

Brisbane, long the AFL’s problem child, is putting it together (and isn’t that fantastic). The small ball GWS Giants are adding an element of chaos to the run home we didn’t expect.

Games are being decided after the siren. The football is compelling when two evenly matched teams go at it. Honestly, what more could you want?

A couple of extra goals a game apparently. Because the media, and its tangled web of conflicts of interest, wants more goals.

And that’s worth potentially altering the fabric of Australia’s own game of football which has broadly stood the test of time for over 150 years.I fear this maelstrom of the media’s making is going to consume us all.

It seems to be exasperating more and more football fans by the week. On one hand, our hearts and our heads are telling us the competition is healthy; our media is telling us the competition is broken and nothing short of surgical intervention will do. It needn’t be this way.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan and his second in charge Steve Hocking are reportedly scheduled to meet today to talk about Hocking’s work on the “state of the game”.

They should instead be talking about the state of the football media, and what they can do about that.

You must be a footy junkie WILL.....you should play fantasy next year you have a greater understanding of players than I do I only watch the Dees and a few odd games here and there, i play fantasy using mathematics....

I dont think any other sport cops the amount of press like the AFL, and its there tinkering, I want to start a pertion...." LEAVE THE GAME ALONG FOR GOD SAKE", who WILL sign?

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agency-a-disaster-and-destroying-equalisation-cochrane-20180724-p4ztat.html

Topic Free Agency killing the game says Suns Boss....Bullocks I say, is it working? yes and no, it is meant to free mid tier players in a good team struggling to get games to move to clubs that are likely to give them more ground time.

To date the Blues list is full of them, Dee's have a few Pies have jumped a few rungs and im sure some other clubs have benefited as well the argument this dope no pun intended for the Hunt affair puts up is clueless dont know how he got to that position....anyway is Free Agency working? I think it is....does it benefit the pillaging of Suns and GWS? well yes it does as they were given the cream of the draft over several seasons with the intent of trading for experienced players, GWS have proved to be more than capable on the other hand the Suns have few ideas....

The movement of "the better" players mainly to the Cats and Hawks has only produced 1 flag and the Hawks look like there a long way from September action after being active in almost every trade period last 5 years, Cats too....Cats toped up with Brother Selwood from WCE who was more than a fair mid, add Dangerfield and Abblet not to mention Touey....and what have we got? there not even in the 8...same can be said for the Hawks, the trend is for about 65% of star players to stay put, others will go...because more often than not they need a change, chasing premierships in the modern age is not on considering how tight the contest is...

Was maybe about 10 years ago, Hotspur premier league club pretty much had the cream of international footballers in there team a list of A graders yet they couldn't make qulification to the champions league which is top 5 in England, couldn't even qualify for the Europa league, Hawks risk loosing the "family" club tag they spent eons building, the Cats risk loosing credibility as well.....

The reason the Suns loose players is there a poorly crappy run club....pure and simple...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/free-agency-a-disaster-and-destroying-equalisation-cochrane-20180724-p4ztat.html

Topic Free Agency killing the game says Suns Boss....Bullocks I say, is it working? yes and no, it is meant to free mid tier players in a good team struggling to get games to move to clubs that are likely to give them more ground time.

I don't think it's for mid-tier players not getting a regular game.

It's more to give the players a chance to be in a successful side.

To be an restricted free agent like Tom Lynch, you have to be in the top 25%

paid players. So roughly in the top 10.

Chris Judd came out ages ago and said top 4 clubs shouldn't be eligible.

I think the current system needs some tinkering.

I'd love to see the Suns match any offer for Lynch?

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

I don't think it's for mid-tier players not getting a regular game.

It's more to give the players a chance to be in a successful side.

To be an restricted free agent like Tom Lynch, you have to be in the top 25%

paid players. So roughly in the top 10.

Chris Judd came out ages ago and said top 4 clubs shouldn't be eligible.

I think the current system needs some tinkering.

I'd love to see the Suns match any offer for Lynch?

No No No No...do not agree with you one little bit sir....Swans buying Franklin hasn't won them a flag, Cats getting Dangerfield and co there not even close, Hawks same boat, Pies picking up a bunch of good all round  GWS players Dee's to plus the FUTURE Blues these clubs are shaking the goal posts.....well Blues for the wrong reasons sir..

Id want out of the Suns, hey Abblet would have retired if they had not let him go, no one wants to be at the Suns cause there a badly run outfit, there for the mathematics for Tom Lynch is get out cause its going nowhere but down.

I dont think restricted free agency should be on its a load of boloney players in future years will work out there contracts better so they come out of contract as free agents, no club should be allowed to chase contracted players full stop for a guy like Lynch his option is to not sign a new contract which means either Suns trade him or he sits out the year and we know in the end the player will sign a new contract in most cases.

Dee's had no trouble ever picking up good players even when at the bottom of the ladder it comes down to who's doing the talking for you....sugar mouths always get there prey...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

No No No No...do not agree with you one little bit sir....Swans buying Franklin hasn't won them a flag, Cats getting Dangerfield and co there not even close, Hawks same boat, Pies picking up a bunch of good all round  GWS players Dee's to plus the FUTURE Blues these clubs are shaking the goal posts.....well Blues for the wrong reasons sir..

Id want out of the Suns, hey Abblet would have retired if they had not let him go, no one wants to be at the Suns cause there a badly run outfit, there for the mathematics for Tom Lynch is get out cause its going nowhere but down.

I dont think restricted free agency should be on its a load of boloney players in future years will work out there contracts better so they come out of contract as free agents, no club should be allowed to chase contracted players full stop for a guy like Lynch his option is to not sign a new contract which means either Suns trade him or he sits out the year and we know in the end the player will sign a new contract in most cases.

Dee's had no trouble ever picking up good players even when at the bottom of the ladder it comes down to who's doing the talking for you....sugar mouths always get there prey...

Read my post again Alex.

I never said it was for clubs to win a flag.

I said it was for players to give themselves a chance at one.

Buddy was somewhat different as his was a 10 million dollar deal.

You said it was for mid-tier players who are struggling to get a game.

Most of this guys who are struggling to get a game wouldn't be in the top 

10 paid players so wouldn't be technically free agents I would think.

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Read my post again Alex.

I never said it was for clubs to win a flag.

I said it was for players to give themselves a chance at one.

Buddy was somewhat different as his was a 10 million dollar deal.

You said it was for mid-tier players who are struggling to get a game.

Most of this guys who are struggling to get a game wouldn't be in the top 

10 paid players so wouldn't be technically free agents I would think.

Originally designed by the NFL in the USA for mid tire players to go to other clubs to get more game time.... it was thought at the time by introducing FA it would help lower ranked clubs get some players who would easily make there roster yet were surplus or just depth to the clubs they were at .......the AFL are leaders of nothing more than trying to get into The Guinness Book of Records on the amount of rule changes they can make in one decade.

I sir did not take your post to mean what you think i thought it to mean i just dont agree with your assumption that players move for the chance at at a flag, only Frawley and Lake made the move on quick reflection to snare a flag in the modern free agency period since then the comp has tightened considerably and its no longer a guarantee that where your heading will win a flag in fact its backfired at both Hawthorn and Geelong and they both chased big ticket players, Collingwood instead have picked the eyes out of GWS and the Suns, no big namers there and look at them now.

The Bud moved for family reasons he wanted to be with his love, still Swans luring first Tippet who was a big name at the time then Franklin and out of pocket for the next 20 years has produced one GF loss..... 

Clubs now are becoming more professional Sloane at Crows stays and yet he is a Victorian....They cant keep everyone but they can often keep who they treasure as the Tigers did last year, sim salsa bin laden FJ where are you..

• Like 1

The money the Swans shelled out for Bud has either been repaid or will be repaid by the increase in club memberships and merchandise sold over the journey.

Not on the scale of Lebron James or Christiano Ronaldo but the exact same model.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

The money the Swans shelled out for Bud has either been repaid or will be repaid by the increase in club memberships and merchandise sold over the journey.

Not on the scale of Lebron James or Christiano Ronaldo but the exact same model.

Bud's been worth every cent and more.