Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

30 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

For me, the MCG and the finals in Melbourne is a massive advantage. The real issue behind the curtain is why the AFL Grand final was locked in for 50 years to the MCG. That is the real unfair advantage gifted to Victorian clubs

The reason is Books.....that Victoria are very good at getting major events....we pride ourselves on it, big revenue earner since we dont have anything else here, the State gov to sweeten the deal gave the AFL 500 million big ones along as they tied the GF ups for the next 150 years....and nearly half that money has gone back to WA and NSW etc etc...

its long a matter of time as the country grows up the GF will become portable.....but even in the UK most major finals are played in the one stadium in London sir so its not like its an abnormality 

And I ask you in serious ness...assuming other states have grounds with around the 100,000 capacity could would Sydney be able to fill that ground if Sydney wasnt playing in it? same goes with Lions and Freo....id say Eagles could get close to a fill in Perth of around 100,000....so if you can honestly answer that no joking....we WILL put it on the table for Gill....

The ability or fairness to host a Grand Final is not about any particular ground capacity. Unfortunately this becomes the catchcry when there isn't any other ability to justify the unjustness of the situation. 
Of course it's great to have 100,000 people packed into a stadium, but is it fair to see a West Coast V Sydney Grand final being hosted at the MCG? 

It's an example of how the AFl management still suffers from small-man mentality, failing to grasp there own notion of wanting to build a genuine national competition.

3 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

The ability or fairness to host a Grand Final is not about any particular ground capacity. Unfortunately this becomes the catchcry when there isn't any other ability to justify the unjustness of the situation. 
Of course it's great to have 100,000 people packed into a stadium, but is it fair to see a West Coast V Sydney Grand final being hosted at the MCG? 

It's an example of how the AFl management still suffers from small-man mentality, failing to grasp there own notion of wanting to build a genuine national competition.

clapping.gif

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Will27 said:

It's actually from his old man Graham.

A good point about it being hard to recruit players.

With the odd exception like Kelly, the only players who go to WA

are WA players.

So Free Agency makes it hard as people like Tom Lynch will always pick a

Victorian club. I realise there's a bigger pool to go to, but it's mainly the bigger clubs

who get the superstars.

Victorian clubs has a HUGE advantage due to there being so many clubs in a small geographic area.

Luckily for WA and SA, they have an AFL 'heritage and player base. If they didnt have that they would do worse than NSW and QLD to attract players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

It's actually from his old man Graham.

A good point about it being hard to recruit players.

With the odd exception like Kelly, the only players who go to WA

are WA players.

So Free Agency makes it hard as people like Tom Lynch will always pick a

Victorian club. I realise there's a bigger pool to go to, but it's mainly the bigger clubs

who get the superstars.

Edit* Kelly is from WA of course.

How many players have GWS lost to Vic?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

For me, the MCG and the finals in Melbourne is a massive advantage. The real issue behind the curtain is why the AFL Grand final was locked in for 50 years to the MCG. That is the real unfair advantage gifted to Victorian clubs

The reason is Books.....that Victoria are very good at getting major events....we pride ourselves on it, big revenue earner since we dont have anything else here, the State gov to sweeten the deal gave the AFL 500 million big ones along as they tied the GF ups for the next 150 years....and nearly half that money has gone back to WA and NSW etc etc...

its long a matter of time as the country grows up the GF will become portable.....but even in the UK most major finals are played in the one stadium in London sir so its not like its an abnormality 

And I ask you in serious ness...assuming other states have grounds with around the 100,000 capacity could would Sydney be able to fill that ground if Sydney wasnt playing in it? same goes with Lions and Freo....id say Eagles could get close to a fill in Perth of around 100,000....so if you can honestly answer that no joking....we WILL put it on the table for Gill....

You're cherry picking there.

In Australian domestic comps, basketball, soccer and cricket are played at different venues

for finals.

As are the World series Baseball, NBA and the Superbowl.

But keep saying it enough and you'll soon believe it.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I will have to go and get better glasses to read this

• Haha 2

AFL must take finals to fans: Malthouse

AFL coaching great Mick Malthouse has urged the AFL to play the finals series, including the grand final, of a rebooted season outside Victoria if fans remain locked out.

And West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has talked up Perth's credentials as a grand final host if that unlikely scenario comes to pass.

The AFL is edging closer to restarting a 17-round season, which could begin as early as June and be wrapped up by October.

It had been considered highly likely that games would be played in empty stadiums, certainly in Victoria where Premier Daniel Andrews has stuck to his guns in keeping more stringent measures in place.

But the Northern Territory has made a bold bid to host matches by allowing fans to attend.

If Western Australia or South Australia follow that lead, Malthouse can't see why Optus Stadium or Adelaide Oval shouldn't host the grand final.

"If Western Australia or South Australia admit crowds to the game there is no reason to have any finals, quite frankly, played at the MCG because players and the viewing public love to see a crowd on TV," Malthouse said on ABC Perth on Saturday.

"'Chairman' Andrews, he's suffocated us, so there'd be no chance of the public going to games over here (in Victoria). So why wouldn't the games be played where the crowds are?"

League boss Gillon McLachlan has pledged to keep an open mind on fixturing as the AFL works with the states to get a revised 2020 season underway.

Nisbett doesn't believe crowds returning to games in WA or a Perth grand final are beyond the realms of possibility.

"I wouldn't rule it out because this has been such an unusual year," he said.

"You'd think the (WA) premier has probably got in the back of his mind, and the sports minister would be thinking 'if we have a really clean bill of health for a long period of time then anything is possible'.

"Our stadium is definitely the best stadium in the country and one of the best in the world, so I couldn't see why the AFL wouldn't look at it, albeit they've got contractual arrangements and so forth, in Melbourne.

"Certainly these are unbelievable circumstances that we're dealing with, so I wouldn't rule out anything yet."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Will27 said:

You're cherry picking there.

In Australian domestic comps, basketball, soccer and cricket are played at different venues

for finals.

As are the World series Baseball, NBA and the Superbowl.

But keep saying it enough and you'll soon believe it.

I said in the UK.....

Were not going to chase each other around the camp fire tonight fellas...... the games back on in around 5 to 6 weeks...you can start spiting chips and weeties when they anounce a hub...and if you dont like it...tonight i seen a report some one sugested that the EPL come and play in Perth ....thats 22 Premier league teams queing up to play on the gee i forget there Aleague name....that purple team.... do they have enough hotels in Perth to cater for that many people?......yes i know they had the Americas cup over there back in the 80's but these guys are on like well one i seen to night for Man City 680,000 AU$ a game including sponsorships, bonus's and licking feet etc....He will hardly and most of his mates wanna be put up in a falling down 80's hotel in some getto.....

Do they mark the roads with them white line separators like they do in the eastern states over there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Well you know it aint gonna happen...its press fodder to stir up the Thai expats who go off there rocker once a year like clock work over this GF thingo....You seen how Anderws is carrying on like a pork chop over easing restrictions.....so you recon hes gonna let the GF go somewhere else? Fat Chance... Like there WILL be led by Sam again no dout an assult on Spring street pretty soon cause people want to go back to work and play....

This is all a big drama and im guessing Andrews is looking for a new career in acting once hes terms up in parliment....

Take from me.....nothing drastic is going to happen, every one WILL be happy to get the show on the road up at Casey in 6 weeks time...there wont be any complaints coming from interstate guys.....playing means money in the bank.....the army WILL supply the 400 odd tents plus portiable MASH (they still call it that?) Casey is on the fringe of the city half way to Sydney.....so much room to move up there and the land is flat as your TGF's chest....

If other states CAN have crowds and victoria CANT have crowds for the GF, that goes with your line of argument that the AFl Grand Final SHOULD go to the venue with highest capacity , yes?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

If other states CAN have crowds and victoria CANT have crowds for the GF, that goes with your line of argument that the AFl Grand Final SHOULD go to the venue with highest capacity , yes?

Wouldn't that be an interesting conundrum for Ed!

Imagine if Collingwood finished on top and made it through to the GF.

They had to play an interstate club away in front of a crowd.

Ed would howl the place down I reckon.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Wouldn't be an interesting conundrum for Ed!

Imagine if Collingwood finished on top and made it through to the GF.

They had to play an interstate club away in front of a crowd.

Ed would howl the place down I reckon.

Nah mate!
Eddie has been on the front foot telling us all there is NO home ground advantage to having the GF at the MCG. 

Naturally that means there would be NO home ground advantage having the GF played interstate

It's pretty much what every Victorian AFL supporter parrots, so moving the GF interstate would have NO disadvantage to a Victorian team

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Nah mate!
Eddie has been on the front foot telling us all there is NO home ground advantage to having the GF at the MCG. 

Naturally that means there would be NO home ground advantage having the GF played interstate

It's pretty much what every Victorian AFL supporter parrots, so moving the GF interstate would have NO disadvantage to a Victorian team

If that type of scenario happened, even Ed couldn't push for it to be played at an empty stadium.

My guess is that he'd push for a neutral interstate ground.

He wouldn't really have a leg to stand on due to his previous comments about the MCG.

On a more serious note, Victoria had 22 more infections overnight.

Nineteen from 1 place. 

At the moment, it looks like they could be one of the worse places to play footy.

Cannot see their restrictions being lifted anytime soon.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Will27 said:

If that type of scenario happened, even Ed couldn't push for it to be played at an empty stadium.

My guess is that he's push for a neutral interstate ground.

He wouldn't really have a leg to stand on due to his previous comments about the MCG.

On a more serious note, Victoria had 22 more infections overnight.

Nineteen from 1 place. 

At the moment, it looks like they could be one of the worse places to play footy.

Cannot see their restrictions being lifted anytime soon.

My view is Perth is the best place at the moment to be playing

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

My view is Perth is the best place at the moment to be playing

Yep, WA is looking like a good place along with SA at the minute.

TBH, I don't really care as long as we get it started.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Yep, WA is looking like a good place along with SA at the minute.

TBH, I don't really care as long as we get it started.

Settle down big fella!

The positives of a late start this season is we can be watching right through until December! How the other halves will love the sound of that ????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Will27 said:

My misses goes out when I'm watching West Coast.

I don't blame her.

She reckons I get too hangry.

I have been known to throw the Hush Puppies at the screen in a fit of (h)anger.

At least you aint kicking the dogs over the fence anymore ????

• Haha 2