This is no big joke: Immigration rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

webfact

This is no big joke: Immigration rising from the ashes like a phoenix!

3pm.jpg

Picture: TNA

The Thai Immigration Bureau has welcomed tourists to Thailand for Songkran under the banner of a phoenix.

There appeared no hint of irony as Pol Maj-Gen Phrittipong Prayoonsiri and a welter of Suvarnabhumi airport officials stood on stage at the immigration hall to announce the "Withok 62" initiative was in place.

Withok is a bird that rises from the ashes - essentially a phoenix. 

Withok 62, after the year 2019, is a plan to ensure the safety and convenience of the large number of tourists expected at the airport over the coming days. 

The move follows the removal of immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn last week and his subsequent re-positioning as an ordinary civil servant in the PM's office.

3pm1.jpg

Picture: TNA

Phrittipong handed out lots of garlands to tourists and promised safety and convenience for all though his spokesman Pol Col Cherngron Rimphadee.

No one mentioned the name Big Joke - but phoenix was on everyone's lips. 

Some 1.6 million passengers are expected to pass through the airport in the ten days from April 9th to 18th.

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

The message from immigration, airport officials, tourist reps, customs officials and staff in traditional Thai yellow costumes was clear said TNA:

Welcome to our home for the holidays!

A huge sign proclaimed "Thai Immigration Bureau Songkran Festival".

But the absence of any mention of the bureau's former poster boy Big Joke and the irony of the phoenix message will not be missed on Thai watchers. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope to god that the phoenix doesn't need a visa of any kind, or just to retire peacefully and be with friends and family without being sent on a visa/permit/extension merry go around... (by the way, i'm sure that 9 thais out of 10, including immigration personal will not know what a phoenix is..)

Could that figure be conveniently fudged much the same as Thai student pass marks?

A recent report stated Westerners were no longer visiting, living or working in Thailand as much as in the past. If anything, many foreigners are leaving Thailand for much better and rewarding destinations simple because of the many obvious and patbetic reasons they face whilst within Thailand. 

It's like living in an open prison. Pay and you can stay, but take the abuse, lawlessness, unfairness and racism. 

The word on the streets paints a very different picture to that of the usual propaganda PR spin. Thais are complaining of very little customers compared to this time last year. Many bars etc are closing. 

What's the saying, 'a person should admit to thier faults', and so should a country. 

28 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Why are the immigration clowns saluting?

They think they're in the army.

So does the door opener at the mall.  

Moo baan security guard appears to be parachute/jump qualified too! 

41 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Why are the immigration clowns saluting?

They think they're in the army.

If I was arriving for a holiday, and was greeted by serried ranks looking like a group photograph from central casting, in paramilitary uniforms, standing rigidly at the salute, I think I would be tempted to catch the next plane to communist Laos or Vietnam!

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Any sign that the reign of terror has begun to lift is welcome indeed.

At best, only for tourists....and whether that's true at all is an open question.

But for expat residents, I wouldn't hold out any great hope... at least, not yet.

They want you to come, spend money and GO!  Not stay....

2 hours ago, batata said:

TAT fake news.... no supporting evidence to their ""expected"" numbers, all for a show,  as always

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

A recent report stated Westerners were no longer visiting, living or working in Thailand as much as in the past. If anything, many foreigners are leaving Thailand for much better and rewarding destinations simple because of the many obvious and patbetic reasons they face whilst within Thailand. 

I wouldn’t read to much into that “report”. Where did it come from? A survey conducted on thai visa of a few hundred and compared to the year before. 

It's like living in an open prison. Pay and you can stay, but take the abuse, lawlessness, unfairness and racism. 

Not my experience. Living it up in my tropical pool villa with cleaners, a pool guy and eating out twice a day.

The word on the streets paints a very different picture to that of the usual propaganda PR spin. Thais are complaining of very little customers compared to this time last year. Many bars etc are closing. 

Ah, the old bar stool statistics.

What's the saying, 'a person should admit to thier faults', and so should a country. 

Or admit reality.

21 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I wouldn’t read to much into that “report”. Where did it come from? A survey conducted on thai visa of a few hundred and compared to the year before. 

Not my experience. Living it up in my tropical pool villa with cleaners, a pool guy and eating out twice a day.

Ah, the old bar stool statistics.

Or admit reality.

What a hero you are ????

38 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The 162,000 passengers a day is nearly 7% up on last year. The expected average 1,097 flights per day at Suvarnabhumi is also a 7% improvement. 

Using your own logic, prove it.

Thai immigration has alot of ground to make up, after the banishment of the number one tourism saboteur, the biggest joke. That racist, hate monger has left a bad taste in the mouths of millions. A garland should be only the beginning. How about free meals, free hotels, and plaques given to each Western tourist who arrives?

60 months of army leadership, and what do the Thai people have to show for it? It boggles the mind to even consider another 60 months of their nonsense, and hapless rules, regulations, useless and ineffective daily crackdowns, pronouncements, and declarations. Fake Quakers is what they are.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I hope to god that the phoenix doesn't need a visa of any kind, or just to retire peacefully and be with friends and family without being sent on a visa/permit/extension merry go around... (by the way, i'm sure that 9 thais out of 10, including immigration personal will not know what a phoenix is..)

Sorry but  ....Welcome to our home for the holidays!

Archived