Catholic For Ever?

luckyluke

In an other topic(Thailand vs.Malaysia) Kismet wrote :..." Once a Muslim forever a Muslim,no way out"...

In my opinion,this refer not only to Muslims,for the roman catholics you become catholic by christening (a sacrament,usually performed on babys),so not your own choice, but what the parents think the best for you and there is no sacrament which can change this,even,for one or another reason ,you do not want to be assimilate anymore to this belief,they always reckon you as one of them.

I found out when I was 20, from my homosexual father, that I was baptized Catholic when I was a baby. My mother is no longer Catholic, nor my father, nor anyone else in my family. What the Catholics think about it I don't know. Though I lean towards buddhism, I consider myself human now.

In an other topic(Thailand vs.Malaysia) Kismet wrote :..." Once a Muslim forever a Muslim,no way out"...

In my opinion,this refer not only to Muslims,for the roman catholics you become catholic by christening (a sacrament,usually performed on babys),so not your own choice, but what the parents think the best for you and there is no sacrament which can change this,even,for one or another reason ,you do not want to be assimilate anymore to this belief,they always reckon you as one of them.

I'm not sure there's an issue so much with the church or official persons not letting you go or freeing you to adopt another religion however as a guy brought up in a strict catholic environment; I do find that it's hard to let go of the indoctrination I underwent. I prescribe to more eastern religious views these days but unfortunately find myself often drawn back to aspects of catholicism that I've been brainwashed into believing.

I finished catholic when I was 14 or 15, and I don't have the feeling they see me as catholic (I am now 36).

I think I was baptised as a Presbyterian, but I don't even know what that is.

My father taught me that the Christian(and most other) religions are just money making, brain-washing organisations built on fact-less myths. After travelling the world to see for myself, I have to agree.

It doesn't matter what a bunch of people decide to choose for you when you're too young to understand. When you become an adult you can make your own decision about what you believe in. I like Buddhism myself, but I'm not a Buddhist.

So I disagree, once a Catholic, not always a Catholic. Looks like most people in Europe agree with me because I entered many grand churches in Spain, Italy,Germany etc and there weren't many worshipers in there, mainly tourists like me gawking at the incredible wealth and grandeur of these places (after of course, paying our 5 euro entry fee) That goes for South America too.

I finished catholic when I was 14 or 15, and I don't have the feeling they see me as catholic (I am now 36).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For me the point is not if i still feel like a catholic,i am not,my "problem" is that the catholic church still consider me as a catholic,and when they mention there are xxxx catholics in the world,all the people who have been christening ,whatever which "religion " they "practice" now, are incorporate in this amount.

I went to mass daily until I was about 19...and every other benediction, novena, and funeral. see my grand parents brought me up in small village in ireland on border with northern ireland, so people took the church serious. I must have seen a 1000 or more dead bodies at funerals...everytime some old person kicked the bucket we'd be sent to the funeral...

anyway now I do not go to church except on a rare occassion.

its interest, the Anglican Church in Uk have recently been talking about join up with Rome.

Prince Charlie I think has knocked abou idea of being an RC. and they reckon its a sure bet Tony Blair will RC it after he is finished in No 10. (he cannot convert not...would drive the orange bigots in northern ireland nuts lol!!)

Edited by Gerry290

the catholic church still consider me as a catholic,and when they mention there are xxxx catholics in the world,all the people who have been christening ,whatever which "religion " they "practice" now, are incorporate in this amount.

This is all part of the sell. Some people think "if a billion people believe in it then it must be true".

They play on this.

These people are not stupid. They have created an Empire worth hundreds of billions of dollars over the last two millenniums based on a myth.

(and it's tax free).

A very powerful group. Look at the scandals they've survived ( I wont mention them as it will spark a degradation of the topic, but we all know what I'm talking about). What other organisation could survive these scandals and still thrive? None.

I've read repeatedly, that if your mother was Jewish, you're Jewish. Not by faith, necessarily, but by blood. What does this have to do with Thailand?

Becoming Catholic in Thailand means, I suppose, breaking with one's heritage as a Thai Buddhist. At least from our perspectives as Westerners, we know that being 'born into a religion' does not mean we have to keep on believing it. Have you met any Thai natives who became Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, etc.?

There is a tiny village in Burriram called Ban Pakham (sp?)... its about 20km ish from Nong Rong...and its way off the main highway.... down in Pakham its a Thai Catholic Village and they got a church and a convent too. I used to live an 30Km away when I was doing village life.

anyway...its amazes me how this little enclave of RC's ended up in a tiny village off the beaten track in Burriram provience!!???!?

I, and my sister, was baptised Roman Catholic under my mother's influence (dad was Church of England but never went to church to my knowledge). Neither of our parents subjected us to particularly heavy indoctrination other than sending us to RC schools and mum taking us to church Sundays.

Both of us, once we were adult, kicked the whole lot into touch as we saw through the lies and hypochrasy and got on with our lives unfettered by the out of date beliefs.

Just because you are started out as a person of a certain religion doesn't ever mean you can't change. A Catholic for ever has the same meaning as a Muslim for ever and that is no meaning at all. You are what you are, an individual person, and will believe what you believe.

Thank God I'm an athiest and I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous as well. :o

Thank God I'm an athiest and I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous as well.

You are an atheist but...for the catholic church you are still a catholic !.

Why is the catholic church not install a sacrament allowing people who not want to be catholic,for what ever what reason, anymore, to be deleted of the list of catholic people?

There is a tiny village in Burriram called Ban Pakham (sp?)... its about 20km ish from Nong Rong...and its way off the main highway.... down in Pakham its a Thai Catholic Village and they got a church and a convent too. I used to live an 30Km away when I was doing village life.

anyway...its amazes me how this little enclave of RC's ended up in a tiny village off the beaten track in Burriram provience!!???!?

Similar story. Went to Burma with a Burmese friend from the states some time ago. He took me up past Mandalay to an area where in the 16 or 17th centuries (?) some Portuguese who were shipwrecked had been exiled to. They were not allowed to leave. Their descendents are still there and many are still Catholics. This was almost literally in the middle of nowhere. We spoke with one family and their daughter was a nun in NY state! Up until the last generation or so there were people who still knew some Portuguese, and I have no doubt that some words survive in their everyday jargon. Interesting to think about those guys knowing they would never see their home again and forced to live there. I imagine they made the best of it they could, but still...

I was raised a Catholic and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I think it was the jesuits who said, "Give me the boy and I'll give you the man." Yes, catch 'em while their young seems to be the key to indoctrination. I like to think that I'm free of mine, but there are times when I think that it's just out of sight in things that you think or do. I went to a nice housewarming here in Chiang Mai with a fun group of farangs. One guy in particular from Nr Ireland had a good line in humor. a couple of drinks later I asked him if he ever went home, and his reply was, "I never miss the glorious twelth!" For those of you who don't know, the twelth of July is the Protestant Orange Day celebration of a win against the Catholics at the battle of the Boyne back in the dim and distant past! Here I was thousands of miles away from this crap and yet still it raised its head. If I had said anything, it would have been taken as a defence of being a Catholic. I joined another group of drinkers. In answer to the original question, it's important to keep checking that you don't swap one form of indoctrination for another. :o

One guy in particular from Nr Ireland had a good line in humor. a couple of drinks later I asked him if he ever went home, and his reply was, "I never miss the glorious twelth!" For those of you who don't know, the twelth of July is the Protestant Orange Day celebration of a win against the Catholics at the battle of the Boyne back in the dim and distant past!

Thats why as an irish catholic who grew up on the border with south armagh which was a pro ira area (not me, but alot of the people were).... I do not believe in republic and northern ireland uniting at all...

Why?

Cause I do not want people with attitudes like that down in my country. they can stay in the north, and 10 dowing street can take care of them...god love them! LOL!! ;-)

There is a big difference between ‘once a Muslim always a Muslim’ and the same regarding any other religion. In Islam you are killed for Apostasy. As far as I know there is no other group for whom it is a death sentence if you leave. Think very hard before you join Islam. :o There really is no way out.

I was baptized Catholic and attended 12 years of Catholic schools. I'm culturally an Irish/Italian Catholic. The ties to that culture are stronger than any ties to the faith. Baptism is just a concept reinforced by a ritual. It has little meaning for me.That culture will always be apart of who I am, but I'm a practicing Buddhist now, and much of my spiritual life as a Catholic has little relevance for me now.

Thailand?