Baht Slides: Economic Impacts for Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Interesting FX moves recently, though the baht and yen are falling for different reasons. The baht is a victim of higher US interest rates and a rather moribund Thai economy that is suffering from a worldwide slowdown in general and a Chinese slowdown in particular.

The yen is a canary in the coal mine to anyone---especially expats retired in Thailand---who think they are going to live off a government pension. Japan has an aging population and a woefully underfunded pension system to go along with the highest debt-to-GDP of any major nation (at 260%). As the population becomes an inverted pyramid and debt service takes a larger bite of tax revenues, the only solution is to print. Massive printing means a falling currency and inflation for holders of that currency. The yen hasn't been this low against the USD since the late 1980s/early 1990s.

A second choice debt-strapped govts have is to renege on the promises of pensions. It isn't as if any pensioner paid anywhere near as much into the system as they expect to receive; pensions have always been a Ponzi Scheme, which worked when the population was growing and there were more young workers entering the system than old folks leaving it.

If I was 20 years old and just beginning my adult working life, I would forget pensions exist and plan my own future by saving. If I was a retired pensioner living off the govt pension, I might hope I age and die quickly, because the day of reckoning is coming. I cannot see the govt of any major nation being able to afford their pension and health commitments, unless they join the race to the bottom in terms of the value of their currency.

"If I was 20 years old and just beginning my adult working life, I would forget pensions exist and plan my own future by saving."

I did just that. Saw the writing on the wall in 1980's interest rate debacle.  Backed myself in a host of ventures and came out on top. I'll never receive a pension, but I won't miss it as a government pension wouldn't even cover my monthly booze bill.

Thankfully my sons are following me.  They had no choice - I was able to largely undo the damage done to them via state education indoctrination.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Interesting FX moves recently, though the baht and yen are falling for different reasons. The baht is a victim of higher US interest rates and a rather moribund Thai economy that is suffering from a worldwide slowdown in general and a Chinese slowdown in particular.

The yen is a canary in the coal mine to anyone---especially expats retired in Thailand---who think they are going to live off a government pension. Japan has an aging population and a woefully underfunded pension system to go along with the highest debt-to-GDP of any major nation (at 260%). As the population becomes an inverted pyramid and debt service takes a larger bite of tax revenues, the only solution is to print. Massive printing means a falling currency and inflation for holders of that currency. The yen hasn't been this low against the USD since the late 1980s/early 1990s.

A second choice debt-strapped govts have is to renege on the promises of pensions. It isn't as if any pensioner paid anywhere near as much into the system as they expect to receive; pensions have always been a Ponzi Scheme, which worked when the population was growing and there were more young workers entering the system than old folks leaving it.

If I was 20 years old and just beginning my adult working life, I would forget pensions exist and plan my own future by saving. If I was a retired pensioner living off the govt pension, I might hope I age and die quickly, because the day of reckoning is coming. I cannot see the govt of any major nation being able to afford their pension and health commitments, unless they join the race to the bottom in terms of the value of their currency.

You might have gotten by as a second-third rate government employee - But forget about economist 

Edited by morrobay
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bank of Thailand has not yet intervened with measures to strengthen the baht

oh like increasing interest rates lol

said it many times, this is good for exports and tourism - not sure I see many downsides unless of course you are a local wanting to invest outside Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

but I won't miss it as a government pension wouldn't even cover my monthly booze bill.

I have been living here 24 years on a pension, not old enough yet for a state pension in the UK, I pay tax on my income, it does cover my booze bill lol, horses for courses

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I have been living here 24 years on a pension, not old enough yet for a state pension in the UK, I pay tax on my income, it does cover my booze bill lol, horses for courses

Been here 16 years on a private pension, my UK pension starts next year... decisions decisions.

1 minute ago, john donson said:

gold price is going down

so is bitcoin

related?

The price of gold is falling because the threat of war in the ME has subsided.

The value of THB is falling because USD is strengthening, for two reasons. The first is its safe haven status in times of conflict and second because the US economy is roaring back to life and US rates will remain higher for longer.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Just wait until the government fulfills its vote-buying promise by handing out 10,000 THB to every Thai adult in Thailand. 

Can you hear that sound?   "Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The sound of new money injected into a weakening Thai financial system.
And then the screams of Thais as inflation decimates the economy and average Thais.

<Fills cheeks with air>  "PUFF"

depositphotos_2110554-stock-photo-house-of-cards_1024x1024-3373720106.jpg.161b90eda0eed9a01d8d116acac55dc9.jpg

Just copy America, what can go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Very good for Thailand exporters!

Not good for Thailand importers 🙂

thailand is primarily export which includes tourism

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

The value of THB is falling because USD is strengthening, for two reasons. The first is its safe haven status in times of conflict and second because the US economy is roaring back to life and US rates will remain higher for longer.

Nothing to do with the unfunded 10,000 baht vote buying scheme then?

Edited by roquefort

11 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Nothing to do with the unfunded 10,000 baht vote buying scheme then?

That scheme is still not live so I doubt that it's priced into the value of THB.  Most of what we're seeing with THB presently is driven by USD value and USD interest rates. Once government debt increases because of the scheme, then I would expect to see further falls.

Another aspect is that as of the end of March, only 50% of the current year budget has been disbursed, the other 50% was with held to help support the case that the economy was in trouble hence the giveaway scheme was much needed. What is likely to happen is that the scheme will be started, the remaining budget released and government will look like hero's for saving the day, then they can say, I told you so. What will happen thereafter is that water will find its own level and things will revert to the norm and everyone will realise that government just increased its debt, for no good reason and the Baht will fall further.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

That scheme is still not live so I doubt that it's priced into the value of THB.  Most of what we're seeing with THB presently is driven by USD value and USD interest rates. Once government debt increases because of the scheme, then I would expect to see further falls.

Another aspect is that as of the end of March, only 50% of the current year budget has been disbursed, the other 50% was with held to help support the case that the economy was in trouble hence the giveaway scheme was much needed. What is likely to happen is that the scheme will be started, the remaining budget released and government will look like hero's for saving the day, then they can say, I told you so. What will happen thereafter is that water will find its own level and things will revert to the norm and everyone will realise that government just increased its debt, for no good reason and the Baht will fall further.

You could be right, although markets tend to anticipate these things and price them in advance. In any case only one way to go for the baht from here, which I suppose will make a lot of expats happy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The present Thai Premier has it all under control. 555

Did he not want to reduce interest at the Central Bank by 25% which obviously was resisted by anyone who

really knows international finance.

There is going to be no money left in the pot after about August & exchange rates will fall further.

Could become a trash currency by the end of 2025

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Hardly.

"Can the rip-roaring good times for the stock market last?"

by David Brancaccio, Meredith Garretson, and Erika Soderstrom, March 14, 2024  marketplace.org

• The S&P 500 is up about 32% in a year. That’s more than quadruple the 30-year average (inflation-adjusted dividends reinvested).
  • The S&P has returned 11% a year in real terms. 

For Americans living abroad receiving USD income, foreign service and product costs boost spending power. Albeit import of American products may reduce or disappear from markets as Thai importers lose margins.

Agreed

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"Baht Slides: Economic Impacts for Thailand"

More bl**dy cheapo tourists... 🙄

Yeah! I agree. All these singlet wearing, scooter riding, Brits (mostly) in flip flops!

• Sad 2