Canadian tourist dies after falling from zipline in Chiang Mai

rooster59

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

Life is on the line here already
You dont need to gamble any more than that
R.I.P fella

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Right!!!  just ride a bike on the road, or piss off a thai.  Next thing you know you'll be seeing the "white" light.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The safety features installed after killing two Chinese in 2015 seam to have been kill and injure some more????RIP

Friends were all keen to do this 'ride' a few months back. I mentioned about the previous deaths / accidents on this specific ride.

Friends went, the husband is a construction supervisor in the west (not a qualified engineer), he looked closely at the set up and was horrified, they came home. 

What a dreadful tragedy for this man and his family. Caveat emptor is one Latin phrase everybody coming to Thailand needs to learn. Safety standards here are generally far lower than in the West, accident rates much higher and official inertia off the scale.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

When I first arrived here, I went down to my local air strip to check out the private flying world.  the aircraft were a mess and the people flying them clearly irresponsible and ignorant and many of them were long time expats, who have clearly caught the Thai 'don't give a monkeys' bug.    I haven't been back since. I notice that they do 'pleasure trips' for naive tourists?? 

When did you arrive here and which air strip was that? How were you able to determine that the people flying them were "clearly irresponsible and ignorant"? You're a former Jag jockey?

5 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

When did you arrive here and which air strip was that? How were you able to determine that the people flying them were "clearly irresponsible and ignorant"? You're a former Jag jockey?

That's why. 

I won't mention the strip for fear of upsetting those people involved. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Absolute rubbish.  Maybe you ave no knowledge  of the deaths at the UK theme parks.  The investigations were open and thorough and  the people responsible ended up in court.  I don't know where you come from, maybe in your country it's the same as Thailand, but not in the UK. It's not the first time you have come up with this kind of uninformed comment, probably not the last either.   

Just Weird that says it all

49 minutes ago, soistalker said:

He shouldn't have gone to Chang Mai. Didnt he read up on a place before visiting?

I guess he did. It (CM) should have been smog/smoke free several days ago according to people in charge.

3 hours ago, Oww said:

Ok, but....Where was the AMERICAN OWNER of Flight of Gibbons when this death on his equipment happened?! I'm sure he was right on site checking safety precautions...lol

Not sure about the current ownership but the zipline in question was first set up by a New Zealander who includes this in the sales promotion "With a passion for the outdoors and the environment, David wanted to create a safe and eco-friendly business model. " 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

When it comes to safety, this whole country is one big joke and there are plenty of examples of dead and injured people to attest to it on a weekly bases, it comes from the fact that Thai people themselves do not consider life as precious and sacred, judging by the wholesale numbers of dead and injured on Thai roads everyday...

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle without a helmet? I have, so I never complain.

I'd never take my kids on the back of a pick up, unlike many who do these days, during the most dangerous time on the roads.

Surely some fault lies with the deceased, if he knew what the weight limit was.

This is Asia. I assume the insurance companies impose limits on how many times bungee cords and line harnesses can be used before being replaced.

No problem!! Mai pen rai. Cord ok harness still OK. Why throw out!

Keep using till snap.

My uncle big boss on local council.

He has influence.

Tourists do these crazy activities at their own peril.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

When it comes to safety, this whole country is one big joke and there are plenty of examples of dead and injured people to attest to it on a weekly bases, it comes from the fact that Thai people themselves do not consider life as precious and sacred, judging by the wholesale numbers of dead and injured on Thai roads everyday...

It’s not that life isn’t important. They just don’t have serious penalties.

The road deaths are due to the large amount of motorbikes and lack of enforcement of law. And the major automobile manufacturers short cutting safety features because they are not required here. It’s a shame that an accident in a western country with the same car will yield completely different results for the driver thanks to lack of govt requirements and lack of care from the auto manufacturers.  

If someone loses a friend or family member in an accident here they suffer just like other humans. 

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Zip wires, tethered parachute rides, parachuting,  private aircraft  flying, micro lighting, motor glider;  any of these are dangerous in a country that treats safety standards as a  western joke. 

I lived in Mae On for 5 years and often spotted the distinctly painted Gibbon vans being driven dangerously at high speed on Hwy 1317.  If their drivers are any example of professionalism then their zip- line gear must be crappy.

29 minutes ago, ExpatOne said:

It’s not that life isn’t important. They just don’t have serious penalties.

The road deaths are due to the large amount of motorbikes and lack of enforcement of law. And the major automobile manufacturers short cutting safety features because they are not required here. It’s a shame that an accident in a western country with the same car will yield completely different results for the driver thanks to lack of govt requirements and lack of care from the auto manufacturers.  

If someone loses a friend or family member in an accident here they suffer just like other humans. 

Do they?

I am beginning to wonder about that.

Because,surely,if they dd they would abide by traffic regulations in an effort to keep their love one's safe.

Instead they slaughter each other with total insouciance and lack of responsibility.

Even Gen.William Westmoreland was perplexed upon this point-and I agree with him.

I am tired of them-and do not wish to see another.

7 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Oh really - I was believing   that they hade learned from the previous similar accidents.

Stupid me

6 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

So between 395 and 440 pounds - perhaps they have confused the units of measurement!

Nah,..they ware counting the money he paid for his last trip,...may he R.I.P.

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Zip wires, tethered parachute rides, parachuting,  private aircraft  flying, micro lighting, motor glider;  any of these are dangerous in a country that treats safety standards as a  western joke. 

don't forget the most common rides "motorbike taxis and vans".

Even if this poor Canadian Lad weighed 180Kg, the safety factor that should be built into a ride such as this is 3 times.

That is to say, that if the safety weight is 125 Kg,then the equipment should be tested to take a load of 375Kg as the safety factor.

But this is Thailand, and I doubt if the equipment has ever received any kind of safety test such as this.

RIP young man

49 minutes ago, losworld said:

don't forget the most common rides "motorbike taxis and vans".

and cars I guess, plus coaches, riding a bike, walking around here,

soi dogs, tropical viruses, snakes, millipedes, scorpions; hell. this place is a death trap.  

Archived